Who goes at the trade deadline?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So 14 points out and the worst record in the league? Who goes by the trade deadline?

Nick Foligno - is a UFA but I honestly think he's part of the solution and not the problem
Artem Anisimov - already part of trade rumors, unfortunately has been injury prone
Sergei Bobrovsky - interesting predicament, RFA, down season could make negotiations interesting as well as bring up concerns if he is a long term solution if he continues to struggle and there is no Plan B. No reason to rush Forsberg even though he is having a great start in Springfield.
Jared Boll - Just can't see he's worth the money but I'm sure some salary gets retained
Mark Letestu - Another UFA who is part of the solution and not the problem in my opinion.
Jack Skille - maybe worth something for a team needing a rental at the deadline

I know there are other low level players contracts expiring or otherwsie but they won't bring any sort of noticable return such as Cracknell, Tropp, etc.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting question. Still a few months away but even if we rally to being in the mix (if a miracle should happen) it apparently won't deter JK from making a deal (see Gaborik trade) to protect the future.

My guesses are:

Foligno (but only if we haven't re-signed him or are well on the way to a deal). You just can't let a guy walk for nothing. Hopefully we cna get a deal done.

Anisimov - My views on him have been well stated but I think he is traded at this deadline only if we get a really good offer. Next season he is a goner,imo.

Johnson - again dependent on the deal

Cam- He's an RFA but I think he is a long shot. On pace for a 20-25 goal season.

Leopold - a likely candidate

Hartnell - if we could land a #1 for him (highly unlikely but you never know). His contract works against him. So far I am not overly impressed and think an Umbie compliance buyout was the thing to do.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I agree with EspenK's list.

Foligno will be hard to keep if talks don't start soon.

There was a rumor that we were taking calls on JJ at last season's deadline, and with his abysmal performance this season, I think they'll revisit it.

I don't know how the FO feels about Letestu. I love the guy, but he could get a really nice deal in FA. Wondering if he'll re-sign.

I think another d-man could go too, either Erixon or Leopold.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not Foligno or Letestu. Because I'm sure we aren't going to get offers for those guys that approximate how valuable they are to us. We need to build around them.

Other than that, it's rentals like Leopold and Skille, and maybe Arty or JJ if the offer is outstanding.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Not Foligno or Letestu. Because I'm sure we aren't going to get offers for those guys that approximate how valuable they are to us. We need to build around them.

They're also both UFAs. You're aware of how the trade deadline works, right? If a UFA isn't signed by then, they're usually traded as a rental so they aren't lost in the offseason for nothing. Are you expecting both to be re-signed before then?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They're also both UFAs. You're aware of how the trade deadline works, right? If a UFA isn't signed by then, they're usually traded as a rental so they aren't lost in the offseason for nothing. Are you expecting both to be re-signed before then?

I'm insisting they be resigned, I don't even want to think about what I expect Jarmo to do.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Letestu should be an easy re-sign. 4 yrs around 2 million or so?

Foligno is a different story- if he keeps up his stats I can see him wanting 5 mill + and a whole bunch of years.(5 or 6 probably) Then it becomes dicey in my mind if we can get a deal done in-season. Especially if the team is still under performing. If i were him I'd probably wait till the off-season and max out.

If he regresses back to his career stats then I think our chances of doing a deal in season get better.

Potential saving grace is that if the cap doesn't go up much, top teams are in cap hell and may not be able to offer top $. Then he may take a hometown discount to stay if it isn't too insulting.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If we lose Foligno (which unfortunately I think we will), we're really going to be in trouble next year needing to replace him AND Horton. I hope i'm wrong and they sign Foligno, he's got great chemistry with Joey and he's the type of player we need. We're not going to get a comparable return, probably only draft picks, which dont do us a lick of good in the hear and now....which to me is more important then the future. This trading deadline and UFA period is crucial for our trainee GM.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If we lose Foligno, don't expect much improvement from this squad for the next couple of years.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If we lose Foligno, don't expect much improvement from this squad for the next couple of years.

I agree really hope they don't get rid of Foligno. if we get rid of some of these guys we have no one to fill in... We have a good team I believe when healthy i think we could afford to give up

Anisimov
Johnson
Leopold
Letestu

But not give up 2-3

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Anisimov
Atkinson
JJ
and one of Letestu or Foligno

The only way I see Foligno traded is if either A)Rychel or Dano just absolutely turns the corner and just dominates or B) we get a offer for him that we can't turn down in which I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

So let's say Foligno does go, what would you guys consider fair market value for him? And what would an overpayment be?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So let's say Foligno does go, what would you guys consider fair market value for him? And what would an overpayment be?

We will not get an offer that compensates for what Foligno does for this team. Perhaps Jarmo decides he doesn't want to offer what it'll take to keep Foligno, then, sure, we can get a 1st round draft pick and call it fair market value. But we aren't going to get what we need back for a pending UFA.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We will not get an offer that compensates for what Foligno does for this team. Perhaps Jarmo decides he doesn't want to offer what it'll take to keep Foligno, then, sure, we can get a 1st round draft pick and call it fair market value. But we aren't going to get what we need back for a pending UFA.

Yeah I've noticed (at least on the board)Foligno gets pretty undervalued for what he really does just because he is a UFA.

For the record I am completely against moving him and I think he is just shy of a cornerstone piece for this team and I don't want to see him moved. I guess the 1st would depend on the team maybe if it's a team like us who underachieved this season and missed the playoffs it might be worth it if it were a bottom 10-15 pick. But even then I'd be hesitant unless like I said one of the kids just dominates(which is unlikely)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If there's a mutual agreement on wanting Foligno back/Foligno wants to return but not close to a new deal at the deadline, would you trade him away, just in case he leaves? Or take the chance by not trading him and keep working on a new deal?

Or if both have mutual interest, would you trade Foligno for assets to a contender. Hope that he doesn't like his new team and still wants to return to Columbus when free agency begins and then sign him then?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
If there's a mutual agreement on wanting Foligno back/Foligno wants to return but not close to a new deal at the deadline, would you trade him away, just in case he leaves? Or take the chance by not trading him and keep working on a new deal?

Or if both have mutual interest, would you trade Foligno for assets to a contender. Hope that he doesn't like his new team and still wants to return to Columbus when free agency begins and then sign him then?

I have faith Foligno will re-sign, even if he doesn't before the deadline. Knowing our GM's history, if we trade him, we'll just get a 2nd round pick and garbage to go along with it. No thanks.

Foligno seems to like it here. I think he re-signs soon. This team has a bright future once we get everyone healthy and on the same page. Nick knows that.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Just because we aren't bad doesn't mean we wouldn't be well advised to trade guys on expiring contracts who're gonna end up demanding a whole lot more $$ (Atkinson, maybe Letestu/Foligno)

I agree. I'm just saying it would be a mistake to trade more than 1 or 2 core guys ( Johansen, Foligno, Hartnell, Atkinson, Anisimov, Wiz, JJ, Murray, Tyutin, Bob, Dubi, Letestu ). And quite frankly, I don't see it happening anyway. We're missing 4 of the core guys already ( 5 if you rule out Anisimov Monday ). Not many teams will win with that much of their core missing. We know what this team can do when healthy. You start trading away core pieces for picks and prospects, it's rebuild all over again. Just deal with the fact this isn't healthy and won't win until they are.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just because we aren't bad doesn't mean we wouldn't be well advised to trade guys on expiring contracts who're gonna end up demanding a whole lot more $$ (Atkinson, maybe Letestu/Foligno)

Does Atkinson have arbitration rights? I can't imagine him having much leverage in RFA negotiations. He could be traded for other reasons, but I doubt it'll have anything to do with contract.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Does Atkinson have arbitration rights? I can't imagine him having much leverage in RFA negotiations. He could be traded for other reasons, but I doubt it'll have anything to do with contract.
Yes, he should have Arbitration rights because he's played 4 seasons in the league and signed his fist contract after the age of 20. Not sure what requirements he specifically meets but from what I understand he should have those rights. He's still on pace for another 20+ goal season despite how terrible our offense is right now. Thinking he's gonna ask for more than what we might've thought beforehand.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If we're still in the basement at the trade deadline, what I would do is move Hartnell and Leopold (veterans). I would then look to revamp our defense. Keep Murray and Savard, the rest is negotiable.

I would re-sign both Foligno and Atkinson even if we have to slightly overpay. I would also draft a forward (or Hannifin if we're sitting at #3). If it's one of McDavid or Eichel, they slot right into the roster next year.

Don't blow up our forwards, but look to revamp our defense. Continue to go with Bobrovsky in goal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If we're still in the basement at the trade deadline, what I would do is move Hartnell and Leopold (veterans). I would then look to revamp our defense. Keep Murray and Savard, the rest is negotiable.

I would re-sign both Foligno and Atkinson even if we have to slightly overpay. I would also draft a forward (or Hannifin if we're sitting at #3). If it's one of McDavid or Eichel, they slot right into the roster next year.

Don't blow up our forwards, but look to revamp our defense. Continue to go with Bobrovsky in goal.

I like this as a general approach. I agree that we shouldn't switch things up on offense. If we let Foligno go, for example, we don't have a way of replacing him. Whereas our defence looks murky over the long-run, and this could actually be a pretty good year to look for UFA d-men, with Martin, Staal, and Green potentially available.

Two little things I'd do differently: 1) Hartnell probably has negative trade value because of the length of his contract. I think we should keep him if that's the case, rather than retaining a lot of salary. 2) I wouldn't be opposed to getting a defender at the draft, even if it's not Hanifin. Murray's struggles should alert us that we don't have a sure-bet top pair guy in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: