Who goes at the trade deadline?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No, he hasn't. Just because he's not getting points, NOW the go to defense is "he's not as bad defensively". So every other defenseman is a big reason why we're not doing well, but not Wiz. Right?

You think I have some complex where I have to defend Wiz no matter what? Have you been paying attention all these years?

Right now Wiz has 10 points and has improved from being a dumpster fire to being just kinda sketchy back there defensively.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Is there any precedent for this sort of thing?

Buffalo traded Moulson to Minnesota at the deadline last season, then the Sabres signed him back in the off-season. That's the only time I can recall it happening ( I'm sure it's happened before though, this league has been around for 100+ years after all ).
I wouldn't count on Foligno and/or Letestu re-signing with us if we trade them. Some guys take that personally.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Buffalo traded Moulson to Minnesota at the deadline last season, then the Sabres signed him back in the off-season. That's the only time I can recall it happening ( I'm sure it's happened before though, this league has been around for 100+ years after all ).
I wouldn't count on Foligno and/or Letestu re-signing with us if we trade them. Some guys take that personally.
Is it against the rules for a GM to tell a player of his plans, like, "hey Nick, here's the deal.. we wanna load up on some pieces and also give you a chance at a Cup this year, but we do intend on offering you a sizeable contract in free agency.."?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=73376833

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1522963

That's why you talk to them prior to the deadline. Tell them...
A)"We're not going anywhere this season so if we can get assets for you and then bring you back in the Summer, why not"?

B)"We will be trading you to a contender/team fighting for a playoff spot. You will have a shot at the Stanley Cup(if going to a contender) or you might have a chance at a Cup(if going to a bubble team)".

C)Maybe they won't say it, maybe they will. "By us trading you, we get worse as a team this season. It will improve our draft positioning".

Is it against the rules for a GM to tell a player of his plans, like, "hey Nick, here's the deal.. we wanna load up on some pieces and also give you a chance at a Cup this year, but we do intend on offering you a sizeable contract in free agency.."?
I would say no. Also, if it was how would the NHL prove you did this? You just tell them we wanted to extend him a but couldn't so we traded him. Then once free agency begin, we continued where we left off and reached a deal.

Also, if there was a rule, I think it would be like not being able to sign someone you just bought out. So they would have made a rule like, can't sign a player you traded in the previous season.

Heck, what if they have a gentlemen's agreement. Both sides reach a deal but don't sign it until free agency? Although huge risk by the player by doing this. Not because if JD/Jarmo backs out but if the player suffers a major injury.(Before anyone brings up Prospal and his agreement, that was between him and Howson. Not JD/Jarmo)

Last edited:

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio

Not sure if it's allowed, but I'd love it :yo:
Maybe that was the Sabres' plan all along with Moulson? ;)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Is there any precedent for this sort of thing?

NHL rules don't allow an agreement between the team and player to be traded and then re-signed. I'm sure there have been several "wink-wink" type deals just like this because it has happened several times. As someone pointed out Moulsen last summer is one. Several years ago Keith Tkachuk was traded from St. Louis to Atlanta at the trade dealine then signed as a UFA with the Blues that summer.

For the most part though, once a player is traded as a rental they don't return. I think it has happened no more than 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years or so.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The only surefire name I can think of is Leopold. Maybe Anisimov, also. And Foligno if (G-d forbid) we can't resign him. That's about it IMO.

This isn't like the old days, where we're filling spaces with the weak and unready because that's all we have. We're in that situation because most of our depth - y'know, the very assets that got us along the way to being a competitive team to begin with - is spending their time in the hospital ward. This is a temporary condition.

The general platitude of "injuries are no excuse" only applies to the sorts of injuries that all teams get. This is not such a situation. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Finally, on Columbus: when asked if anything was happening on the contract front, Davidson said, “That’s Jarmo’s department.” Mr. Kekalainen, the GM, said via e-mail that RFA-to-be Sergei Bobrovsky’s agent, Paul Theofanous, “told us he doesn’t want to negotiate during the season.”

So that’s that, for now. But the Blue Jackets have another key player who is unrestricted: 27-year-old Nick Foligno. He’s played very well with career-high ice-time. Word is they really want to keep him and Kekalainen wrote he’s contacted agent Pat Morris about a possible extension.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...nton-oilers-john-davidson-montreal-canadiens/

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Maybe I am being naive bc I want Nick to retire a Jacket, but I think he wants to stay as well. This is where he has made his home, and I truly think he wants to be part of the solution. I think #71 will accept a fair, but possibly a "hometown discount" deal to stay here instead of chasing the money somewhere else.

Reports just came out that said Jarmo reached out to his agent in an effort to get an extension done.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe I am being naive bc I want Nick to retire a Jacket, but I think he wants to stay as well. This is where he has made his home, and I truly think he wants to be part of the solution. I think #71 will accept a fair, but possibly a "hometown discount" deal to stay here instead of chasing the money somewhere else.

Reports just came out that said Jarmo reached out to his agent in an effort to get an extension done.

If by "hometown discount" you mean something 10% lower than his best UFA offer, then I can imagine him signing it - something like $5.25m x 5. Less than that and it's just a signal that Jarmo doesn't value him.

I would be so thrilled if Nick signed something like $5m x 7. Even if his scoring touch goes back to the way it used to be I won't be unhappy with that deal.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mIOtXSUkSs&list=UUxdPjcb73fJilPpcRxgzi3A

I think this interview gives us a pretty good idea on how he feels about Columbus

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Foligno is all heart. He'd want to stay on whatever team he was playing for.

He's part of the solution and this is possibly the best news of the year. I was concerned the FO didn't see him that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad