Who gets their name on the Stanley Cup?

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
To get their name on the Stanley Cup, a player had to appear in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game. A team can petition the NHL to make an exception.

Here are the players who have not played in Stanley Cup Final game but have played in 41 regular-season games or more in 2016-17 and should get their name on the cup:

Nashville
Kevin Fiala
Mike Ribeiro

Pittsburgh
Tom Kuhnhackl
Kris Letang

Here are the players who have played under 41 regular-season games in the 2016-17 season. Should any of them get an exception to have their names engraved on the Stanley Cup if their team wins the best-of-seven in this series?

Nashville
Anthony Bitetto - 29 games
Petter Granberg - 10 games
Cody Bass - 9 games
Miikka Salomaki - 5 games
Marek Mazanec (G) - 4 games
Adam Pardy - 4 games
Brad Hunt - 3 games
Alexandre Carrier - 2 games
Vladislav Kamenev - 2 games
Michael Liambas - 1 game
Trevor Smith - 1 game

Pittsburgh
Chad Ruhwedel - 34 games
Mark Streit - 19 games
Tommy Sestito - 13 games
Cameron Gaunce - 12 games
Derrick Pouliot - 11 games
Oskar Sundqvist - 10 games
Davis Warsofsky - 7 games
Frank Corrado - 2 games
Kevin Porter - 2 games
Dominik Simon - 2 games
Jean-Sebastien Dea - 1 game
Tristan Jarry (G) - 1 game

Last edited:

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Chad Ruhwedel played 6 games during the playoffs (WSH/OTT) but he suffered a concussion in Game 4 vs Ottawa. He played some big minutes for the Pens, I think he should get it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Chad Ruhwedel played 6 games during the playoffs (WSH/OTT) but he suffered a concussion in Game 4 vs Ottawa. He played some big minutes for the Pens, I think he should get it.

Yeah, this. I'd be mighty peeved if his name wasn't on in the event of a victory.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Ruhweedle and streit should make it from the pens side. Both played some PO games and were solid enough to get us 2nd in the league regular season when the blue line was decimated with injuries. All the other guys are ahl/practice guys.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
If Sestito gets left off there is no justice left in the world. I mean ...

:laugh: Sorry, couldn't hold a straight face.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Johansen qualifies because of the regular season, he'd be an obvious waiver anyway given that he's only out due to injury. Both teams would undoubtedly submit a waiver for their next defensemen up (Bitetto & Ruhwedel), given that they were fairly close and spent the bulk of the season on those respective rosters, especially with Ruhwedel playing well when called upon in the playoffs before getting hurt himself.

I'd expect Streit to be petitioned as well, but I'm not as confident about that one. The others likely don't have a shot without getting into a game.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I'd want Streit to get on purely so the Flyers partially funded a Penguin's name going on the Cup.

I just picture a bunch of Flyers fans looking like this.

1FO7aMh.jpg

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Predators
Riberio: should because he has played 41 games but it's easy to see why not because he's not contributing anything to this Cup finals run

Fiala: 100% yes it would be a disgrace if he was left off since it's arguably possible they don't beat Chicago without him.

Bitetto: yes he should get a waiver since he is contributing to this even though he's not playing. He was injured most of the season. I think he may play Sunday anyway either for Ellis or as a 7th Defenseman.

The Rest: not really maybe Granberg but not anyone else. Although I'd love to see Carrier play Sunday kid has got some skill.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
also is there a max permissible number of names? like hypothetically, a team suffers tons and tons of injuries in the final and pulls up a bunch of AHLers who are automatically qualified to be on the cup, would the NHL eventually be like "cmon, some of these guys gotta get left off"?

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
also is there a max permissible number of names? like hypothetically, a team suffers tons and tons of injuries in the final and pulls up a bunch of AHLers who are automatically qualified to be on the cup, would the NHL eventually be like "cmon, some of these guys gotta get left off"?

I believe the max is 52 per team. The standard rule is 41 regular season games or 1 Cup Final game, but teams can petition to include other guys that they want included for whatever reasons, ie a Pascal Dupuis last year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pittsburgh
Tom Kuhnhackl
Kris Letang

Pittsburgh
Chad Ruhwedel - 34 games
Mark Streit - 19 games
Tommy Sestito - 13 games
Cameron Gaunce - 12 games
Derrick Pouliot - 11 games
Oskar Sundqvist - 10 games
Davis Warsofsky - 7 games
Frank Corrado - 2 games
Kevin Porter - 2 games
Dominik Simon - 2 games
Jean-Sebastien Dea - 1 game
Tristan Jarry (G) - 1 game

In bold is who the Pens would petition to have on the cup.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I agree with the others. Ruhwedel and Streit helped the Pens. The others were basically filler this season. Haven't done much lately.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with the others. Ruhwedel and Streit helped the Pens. The others were basically filler this season. Haven't done much lately.

Yeah, it's virtually a lock that Letang and Kuhn would be on it, but to petition for Streit and Ruhwedel would be the thing the Penguins would do for sure.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In bold is who the Pens would petition to have on the cup.

Yeah, it's virtually a lock that Letang and Kuhn would be on it, but to petition for Streit and Ruhwedel would be the thing the Penguins would do for sure.

Tom Kuhnhackl and Kris Letang will be on the Cup 100% sure since they played more than 41 reg season games. You read the OP wrong:

To get their name on the Stanley Cup, a player had to appear in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game. A team can petition the NHL to make an exception.

Here are the players who have not played in Stanley Cup Final game but have played in 41 regular-season games or more in 2016-17 and should get their name on the cup:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think anyone who played in the playoffs for the Cup winners + anyone who played over 40 games this season should get their name on the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad