Who gets drafted first in the 2006 redraft?

Who gets drafted 1st?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Toews. You draft in hopes of winning a cup, and he won 3 and everyone gave him a ton of credit for them. Was his role overstated somewhat? I don't know, maybe, but either way it's hard to overlook that resume.

You can make an argument that Backstrom > Toews (or even Giroux) based on regular season resume, but i'd pick Toews based on his playoff success.

To be honest Marchand has done so well lately that he's become a very strong contender here. He's a rat - so I wouldn't personally draft him though

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think you take Toews for how quickly he became an impact player and leader. You can make a case for Backstrom or Giroux over him for overall career and even Marchand might get there by the end, but if you're a lottery team you want someone who's going to work to turn you around right away.

Reactions: COHawk and slapKing

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If you get the rest of their team as well then Toews, if just the player then Backstrom

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Extremelyyy tough between Toews and Marchand. Career though it's easily Toews, and that's not even considering position.

If Marchand maintains play 5 years from now and ages like Alfredsson then he'll overtake. Looks like that type of player who can.

For now gotta vote Toews as the C.

Reactions: slapKing

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Don’t think Toews is a bad choice but Backstrom deserves a bit more credit than appears

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Hard choice with Toews, Backstrom, and Giroux. Voted Giroux to close the gap a bit. But Toews is probably the right answer.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Backstrom has been underrated and underappreciated his whole career. Sad.

Backstrom is and was better than Toews. If he was Canadian it wouldn't even be a debate.

Backstrom won that Cup too btw. Was no slouch defensively either. Lead the league in assists once. Toews has never been #1 anywhere.

Just way way better offensively than Toews.

Reactions: DowJones

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You seem to be punishing Toews for playing on a strong team, yet ignoring the fact Backstrom's had the luxury of being linemates with the generation's greatest goal scorer.

If it's based on playoff accolades Backstrom never had a supporting cast that would allow him to get a cup with the type of performance Toews put up in 2013, for instance. There's 17 other players on the ice beyond him and Ovechkin and Toews' team generally had a far better cluster of those especially as far as two way playoff hockey is concerned. Don't know if Toews wins quite as many cups with Mike Green as his 1D for most of his career instead of Duncan Keith.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If it's based on playoff accolades Backstrom never had a supporting cast that would allow him to get a cup with the type of performance Toews put up in 2013, for instance. There's 17 other players on the ice beyond him and Ovechkin and Toews' team generally had a far better cluster of those especially as far as two way playoff hockey is concerned. Don't know if Toews wins quite as many cups with Mike Green as his 1D for most of his career instead of Duncan Keith.

Wasn't referring to Cups. I'm just talking about each player in terms of being able to build around them and how they'd fair as the #1 guy on the team. So I don't think Toews' teams should be held against him because it's not like Backstrom's ever been his team's #1 guy or never had anyone to help him carry the load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad