Speculation: Who gets bought out this summer?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Could definitely see Washington buying out Kuznetsov depending on how the rest of the season goes both for the Caps in general and for Kuzy individually. They should have ~$24M in cap space next summer between the cap rising, Backstrom on LTIRetirement, and Mantha’s contract expiring and Kuznetsov’s buyout isn’t bad at all ($3.8M next year and $2M the year after that). They don’t have anyone who is going to be due a substantial raise either.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Joel Armia wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities, but I figure the Habs might as well leave him in the AHL and call him up when injuries hit, or perhaps move him at 50% retained (in July) just to get rid of him. At 50%, he wouldn't be a bad depth player for some teams.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I could see a Vlasic buyout. He is a frequent healthy scratch at a $7M cap hit.
That would be a rough buyout. He has some signing bonuses the next 2 seasons.
Not buyout proof but not cheap either.

3,833,333 in 24/25
3,333,333 in 25/26
1,333,333 in 26/27
1,333,333 in 27/28

I’m not saying the Sharks won’t do it, just that it costs a bit more than a typical buyout like Campbell

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Due to the cap not going up quickly, there aren't as many bad contracts as there could have been, and the majority of those that are bad are unlikely to be bought out right now.

If Petry holds back some of the Detroit youngsters, then he might get bought out, but he's only got another year anyway.

Petersen and Campbell already mentioned. Huberdeau etc are too early to save anything of note and would be an admission of a major error so won't happen. The teams at the bottom don't need to buyout anyone, even Vlasic could be kept for another year before buying him out. Backstrom looked a possibility but they save little from doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Gaudreau and Huberdeau. When will GMs learn, don't over pay for wingers...especially the ones going into their 30s.

Reactions: VaporTrail

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Gaudreau and Huberdeau. When will GMs learn, don't over pay for wingers...especially the ones going into their 30s.
That Huberdeau buyout looks painful. Barely any savings on the Cap if at all. Nice job Tre.

Campbell for sure
He’s an easy buyout too. We’d save 3Mish and could just go and get a replacement back up with those savings essentially leaving the Oilers in the exact same situation cap wise.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

0.0% chance that Gaudreau gets bought out. He's still a really good player. Really solid underlying play since he broke his slump, now 8 pts in his last 10 games.

Bad players get bought out, not slightly overpaid ones.

Andrew Peeke, hasn't progressed and the cap hit for buyout is lower if the player is younger than 26 I believe

I can't imagine how else it will go. No one is trading for him. And a U-26 buyout is probably cheaper than retaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad