Speculation: who fills out the the bottom pairing to start the season?

who will be our 5th, 6th and 7th Defenceman to start the season?

• Total voters

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm very interested to see what Kivihalme brings in camp. Can't say I knew much about him before they signed him.

I wonder how he compares to Rosen.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm going to guess that there will be a 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th to start the season. Kivihalme makes it for an upfront audition unless he looks absolutely over his head. Harpur should also lock a spot for a Leafs' audition. Then I think the Leafs can't start the season without the flexible depth that Marincin provides. And final spot is between Holl, Schmaltz and Liljegren. Because Liljegren isn't a fast riser as a prospect more of a steady forward improver I'm predicting that he won't grab the spot this Fall that's clearly there for the taking. Schmaltz is a project struggling to re-gain himself and will start the season with the Marlies.

Opening night it'll be Kivihalme-Marincin with Harpur-Holl sitting out.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Kivihalme Schmaltz
Marincin

Look we have tried a good number of the other players Holl, Marincin. As much as I would like Liljegren step up that kid needs to be playing 20 Mins a night, same with Sandin. Hopefully both can put it all together and kill it with the Marlies this year. Hopefully Kivihalme and Schmaltz can hold their own on the third pairing.

Reactions: qqaz and teddygmr

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Harpur will get his shot on the left. RH #6 is really interesting. If we are being strict on shooting handedness, Schmaltz will get opportunity here, but if Kivihalme or Liljegren outplay everyone, I can see them taking those spots. I like Harpur's size though, I think if he keeps it simple like Dubas says, he won't have to do much in terms of offence, just make quick short passes to his teammates to clear the zone. His work will come in decision making and positioning on defending zone entries and in fromtof the net.

I think what a lot of people forget is that as frustrating as Babcock can be in terms of stubbornness, it's that same rigid systems application that helps players like Harpur fit in and become consistent players.

Reactions: qqaz and teddygmr

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Marincin is an effective 3rd pairing defender for who? The Leafs or the Marlies?

I have news for you. It's definitely not the former.
I have news for you, your bias clouds your judgement. Last year when Marincin played, he played a simple steady game. Yes there were times we he handled the puck like a grenade but no more often than anyone else and it didn't happen every game like most believe. I also often noticed him making short passes to exit the zone more than the stretch pass. The biggest mistake I remember from him last year was making a poor pinch when he didn't have full support, the closest forward back was about a step ahead of him in the offensive zone. Nothing came of this play however. And the mistakes he was blamed for for goals against were very often the cause of his defense partner but everyone saw him on the ice so it was obviously his fault.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I have news for you, your bias clouds your judgement. Last year when Marincin played, he played a simple steady game. Yes there were times we he handled the puck like a grenade but no more often than anyone else and it didn't happen every game like most believe. I also often noticed him making short passes to exit the zone more than the stretch pass. The biggest mistake I remember from him last year was making a poor pinch when he didn't have full support, the closest forward back was about a step ahead of him in the offensive zone. Nothing came of this play however. And the mistakes he was blamed for for goals against were very often the cause of his defense partner but everyone saw him on the ice so it was obviously his fault.

Why would I hate on Marincin for no reason? I don’t know him personally and have nothing against him. He’s probably a really nice guy, but from what I have seen from him professionally as a player in the NHL, he’s not good at all.

If he made as many great, simple plays as the points you stated, he would be a full time NHL player, especially on a team as putrid defensively as the Leafs were last year.

There’s a reason he wasn’t.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Original timeline was 5 months from his surgery in early May, so early November. Not sure if there’s been any updates since then.

Actually "at least" 6 months according to Sportsnet and NHL.com but that's still an early November return, same as they gave Hyman. If there is an update I think it might not be until camp starts on the week of the 13th.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Harpur-Schmaltz to begin the year. Dermott-Harpur once Dermott's Healthy and Schmaltz as the 7th dman

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Marincin, Holl, and Gravel shouldn't be on an NHL roster, except as emergency/injury replacements. And I know nothing about Kivihalme.

Harper shoots left, and Schmaltz shoots right. Looks like a pair to me. They're the default choices unless Sandin/Liliegren/Kivihalme are unquestionably ready for the show and outplay them.

Dermott bumps one of them when he gets back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad