Speculation: who fills out the the bottom pairing to start the season?

who will be our 5th, 6th and 7th Defenceman to start the season?

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
with the top 4 set and Dermott injured to start the season it leaves alot of room for opportunity for players to grab a job at camp.

so the question is, who do you thinks will be the 5th, 6th and 7th defenceman fo start the season?

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
____ - _____
____

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Not saying it's my ideal, but I could see Harpur- Lil as the third pair and I think Schmaltz will be a great 7.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kivihalme and Marincin

I've got a ton of time for Kivihalme and I want Marincin for the lols, the boards hilarious when he's playing

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think a couple of new adds in Harpur and Schmaltz get the nod to start. Might not hurt for the former that the opener is against Ottawa. Marincin's experience on the PK probably helps keep him in the mix as well. Wouldn't be surprised with some rotation - particularly until Dermott returns - either.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Kivihalme and Marincin

I've got a ton of time for Kivihalme and I want Marincin for the lols, the boards hilarious when he's playing
I'd rather the board not focus on his past mistakes and actually watch an effective 3rd pairing defender.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What I think will happen
Kivihalme, Schmaltz, Harpur

What I want to happen
Kivihalme, Lilly, Schmaltz

Dream Scenario
Kivihalme, Lilly, Sandin

I voted Kivi, Schmaltz, Harpur as well....

Lilly give at least half a season more with the Marlies. Sandin a full year more.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Harpur is 6-foot-6 and weighs in excess of 220 lbs everyday. He wins the LHD bottom pair job and kills some penalties

Schmaltz to be his partner and Kevin Gravel as the 7th D. Give Holl and Marty a chance to play some minutes in the AHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marincin and Liljegren would be my choices as the starting bottom pair, with Harpur and Schmaltz in the press box and depth.

Harpur and Schmaltz is what I think it will be, with Marincin and Holl in the press box.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
  1. Ben Harpur and Jordan Schmaltz
  2. Marty and Holl fight it out for 7th spot
  3. maybe no 7th spot this year depending on marner contract negotiation

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This question made me think about a fascinating quirk in putting in a game card for a nhl game.

I think it is a quirk personally anyways.

I believe that having 4 lines of forwards and 4 pairs of dmen would be so much safer for player safety over the length of a season that it could cut down on injury lost games significantly.

I believe defensemen are over burdened somewhat in the latter stages of games by fresher forwards. Dmen take a beating by being out numbered by forwards continually.

I wouldn't mind a game card to allow 23 players instead of 21. It would be a safer, fresher and faster paced game game i believe

Yes maybe i am the quirky one i know ;)). I would like to see the opportunity to have four set lines including set pairs of defensemen included.

Just a wrinkle i think would be fun.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sandin-Liljegren will be the best of them in training camp, and would be the best option on the season, but Babs is Babs so being the best might not be good enough.

Reactions: weems

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Definitely intrigued by Kivihalme, though.

And if Babs really desperately needs size back there, then I sure hope he goes with Gravel instead of Harpur. Gravel has actually been semi-competent in his brief nhl time, unlike Harpur.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Definitely intrigued by Kivihalme, though.

And if Babs really desperately needs size back there, then I sure hope he goes with Gravel instead of Harpur. Gravel has actually been semi-competent in his brief nhl time, unlike Harpur.

Harpur is pretty awful but I fully expect him to somehow win Babcocks heart.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Sandin-Liljegren will be the best of them in training camp, and would be the best option on the season, but Babs is Babs so being the best might not be good enough.

yea, I'm sure Babcock wanted to keep Sparks last season too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad