Speculation: who fills out the the bottom pairing to start the season?

who will be our 5th, 6th and 7th Defenceman to start the season?

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This question made me think about a fascinating quirk in putting in a game card for a nhl game.

I think it is a quirk personally anyways.

I believe that having 4 lines of forwards and 4 pairs of dmen would be so much safer for player safety over the length of a season that it could cut down on injury lost games significantly.

I believe defensemen are over burdened somewhat in the latter stages of games by fresher forwards. Dmen take a beating by being out numbered by forwards continually.

I wouldn't mind a game card to allow 23 players instead of 21. It would be a safer, fresher and faster paced game game i believe

Yes maybe i am the quirky one i know ;)). I would like to see the opportunity to have four set lines including set pairs of defensemen included.

Just a wrinkle i think would be fun.

When 4th. liners play 6-7 minutes a night, it would be easier to dress fewer forwards.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sandin-Liljegren will be the best of them in training camp, and would be the best option on the season, but Babs is Babs so being the best might not be good enough.

Based on what? I don't get why fans want to rush these kids.. Bottom pairing is negligible to the impact on the game. There is an excess of qualified players to fill those roles.

I would sooner send both back and give them 20+ minutes a night in all situations than reduced minutes and a limited role on the big club.

If they are too good to be down there, call them up during the season. IMO neither should make the team this year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Based on what? I don't get why fans want to rush these kids.. Bottom pairing is negligible to the impact on the game. There is an excess of qualified players to fill those roles.

I would sooner send both back and give them 20+ minutes a night in all situations than reduced minutes and a limited role on the big club.

If they are too good to be down there, call them up during the season. IMO neither should make the team this year.

He has been claiming Liljegren should have been a Leaf since we drafted him :rolleyes:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know why the leafs are the only team in the league not allowed to play their young 1st round pick dmen prospects that have already been great in the AHL, in the NHL.

why would we handicap ourselves like that? Tampa and Boston don't.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
He has been claiming Liljegren should have been a Leaf since we drafted him

Both will be very useful players for us, but no reason to rush them. Liljegren should destroy the AHL before he see's the NHL. His came is based on confidence which they have built up over the past few years after some injuries.

He will get roasted in Toronto as soon as he makes a mistake. Let him be sure of his ability before he comes up. Let him loose, let him score 40 points while being solid defensively and playing all special teams.

Reactions: teddygmr

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't know why the leafs are the only team in the league not allowed to play their young 1st round pick dmen prospects that have already been great in the AHL, in the NHL.

Are you implying that every player develops at the same rate?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I voted other. Other = Ceci.

I'd like to have Dermott with Rielly and Ceci #6.

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin Barrie
Marincin Ceci
Harpur

Marincin and Harpur are interchangeable. I can't be sure who starts ahead of who.

A couple of media people have Ceci with Rielly on the First Pairing. I certainly don't like that idea. The Left-Right thing might not be what people imagine.

Reactions: Slyfox

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It blows my mind as well.

I don't know how many people vehemently disagreed with Marner playing in the NHL as a 19 year old and argued a lot that he needed a lot of time in the AHL for reasons that to this day still make zero sense.

If Liljegren does well in camp, he should in the lineup. Ice the best lineup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Some give greater importance to the non hockey parts. ie burning contract years, waiver eligibility, etc.
I'm with you, if they lose a plug on waivers to play a better young player, so be it.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Playing great for a 20 year old in the AHL and being a stud AHL d'man are two different things ...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Are you implying that every player develops at the same rate?

i'm not implying anything - I'm flat out stating that when you have 1st round picks playing great in the AHL, you shouldn't hesitate to use them in the NHL when they're better than the competition - especially when you have a very good team, that doesn't need to overuse those young kids and are good enough to make them earn any duty they get and develop at their own pace anyways.

Reactions: weems

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Playing great for a 20 year old in the AHL and being a stud AHL d'man are two different things ...

neither of them have played in the AHL at age 20.

If you're talking about 19yr old Lilly last year, his coach clearly and repeatedly called him his go to match up dman by the end of the season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It blows my mind as well.

I don't know how many people vehemently disagreed with Marner playing in the NHL as a 19 year old and argued a lot that he needed a lot of time in the AHL for reasons that to this day still make zero sense.

If Liljegren does well in camp, he should in the lineup. Ice the best lineup.

yep, people were adamant Marner had to go back to junior. mind boggling.

Reactions: weems and IPS

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Some give greater importance to the non hockey parts. ie burning contract years, waiver eligibility, etc.
I'm with you, if they lose a plug on waivers to play a better young player, so be it.

when it comes to lilly, his contract starts ticking this year no matter where he plays.

Sandin does have one more year where we can slide his ELC, though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

PTSD from the 80's?

Either they have NHL talent or they don't.

Once they're men and not boys don't let fear stand in your way.

Reactions: kb

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
neither of them have played in the AHL at age 20.

If you're talking about 19yr old Lilly last year, his coach clearly and repeatedly called him his go to match up dman by the end of the season.
He was behind Rosen, Loverde, and Borgman when everyone was healthy... if you watch him play he makes a lot of unforced errors at the AHL level and gets schooled defensively a couple of times a game in the "AHL" he is not NHL ready or Dubas would make him a Leaf

I have Jeffs fancy stats on the Marlies and have posted ATOI, etc many times in the Marlie threads

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
yep, people were adamant Marner had to go back to junior. mind boggling.
Saw the interview with Lou recently where he talked about how Marner wasn't ready for the NHL. So many gave credit to Marner for making some huge steps to improve "whatever Lou saw that was holding him back." Personally, he looked like mostly the same player to me, so I have no idea why people weren't talking about the other option. Lou made a bad read on a kid ready to be an impact player by supreme talent.

Reactions: weems

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He was behind Rosen, Loverde, and Borgman when everyone was healthy... if you watch him play he makes a lot of unforced errors at the AHL level and gets schooled defensively a couple of times a game in the "AHL" he is not NHL ready or Dubas would make him a Leaf

i'll take his coach's word for it, thanks.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Saw the interview with Lou recently where he talked about how Marner wasn't ready for the NHL. So many gave credit to Marner for making some huge steps to improve "whatever Lou saw that was holding him back." Personally, he looked like mostly the same player to me, so I have no idea why people weren't talking about the other option. Lou made a bad read on a kid ready to be an impact player by supreme talent.
Are you talking about his D+1 year?

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I voted other. Other = Ceci.

I'd like to have Dermott with Rielly and Ceci #6.

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin Barrie
Marincin Ceci
Harpur

Marincin and Harpur are interchangeable. I can't be sure who starts ahead of who.

A couple of media people have Ceci with Rielly on the First Pairing. I certainly don't like that idea. The Left-Right thing might not be what people imagine.

Dermott is out for the start of the season, this poll is referring to the start of the season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This was from the summer before his rookie season. Lou was asked if Marner would be ready for the NHL and gave an unusually clear 'no' as an answer.

I am thinking they may have been concerned about his size, and maybe wanted him to get a little bigger/stronger, possibly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->