Post-Game Talk: Who else had to redo their narratives tonight?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We know you hate the oilers
My office, picture taken 30 seconds ago. You are nuts.

20231222_155424.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What the f*** are you even talking about? Comparing Gretzky and McDavid has nothing to do with the Flames. You must have bumped your head somewhere. Some of us have been die hard since the 80s.
Joe is drunk posting again. Its been awhile I guess. .

He was booing the other poster as I'd requested. Look up a few posts. hehe

Reactions: BlackDogg

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Speaking of changing narratives, i need to retreat from my comments regarding McLeod.
He scored twice last night and from pretty close in…kudos deserved!
Hope this means his game is changing for the better…I always like Oilers succeeding.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Tbh I knew it. I first heard of Gretz when he, and I (same age) were 12. Thats when the dream started of seeing the best ever eventually play in the greatest game on Earth, in the greatest league, team on Earth. It was all dream like when we acquired him in the WHA and me and my friends, we were going to those games. We were living high going to games seeing the greatest player on Earth for 3 dollar tickets from the Hudsons bay club. If we were feeling particularly rich we'd share a pizza at Coliseum Steak house post game and marvel at Gretz latest exploits.
Good for you for recognizing what we had, I remember waiting outside the rink in the parking lot after games and just wandering to the cars with messier and Gretzky, you knew it was neat but i didnt realize what it really meant. I’m a few years younger maybe that’s why😁

Reactions: Drivesaitl

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Tbh I knew it. I first heard of Gretz when he, and I (same age) were 12. Thats when the dream started of seeing the best ever eventually play in the greatest game on Earth, in the greatest league, team on Earth. It was all dream like when we acquired him in the WHA and me and my friends, we were going to those games. We were living high going to games seeing the greatest player on Earth for 3 dollar tickets from the Hudsons bay club. If we were feeling particularly rich we'd share a pizza at Coliseum Steak house post game and marvel at Gretz latest exploits.
Ahhh.the Coliseum Steak and Pizza house ! Loved the food there.... Is it still around? I used to go there before/ after games hoping to see the Oilers eating there. They used to come in often .And who can forget the Forum inn ?? Lol
Saw Messier,Hector Potier, Lowe Anderson, laughing and having beers .I also remember enjoying a beverage and the live entertainment !!!( something about ping pong balls ) 🤣🤣🤣I was all of 18 , life didn't get much better

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ahhh.the Coliseum Steak and Pizza house ! Loved the food there.... Is it still around? I used to go there before/ after games hoping to see the Oilers eating there. They used to come in often .And who can forget the Forum inn ?? Lol
Saw Messier,Hector Potier, Lowe Anderson, laughing and having beers .I also remember enjoying a beverage and the live entertainment !!!( something about ping pong balls ) 🤣🤣🤣I was all of 18 , life didn't get much better
haha, Its still around and I remember all those things. Rumor had it the Oilers were doing some ping pong putting trying to sink it in the xxxxx on pool tables. I'm not saying no more.

Oh indeedy, what great times!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pickard is not an answer. I haven't framed it that way at all. But he is presently here, and he's better than Stuart Skinner now, and we should be using him now until we find a goaltending solution.

Skinner has NOT erased breakaways. The one time he attempted to do that this season was the worst clown show play of the season by a goalie. It was on all the blooper highlight reels. Skinner is a fantastic disaster outside of net. Worst I've seen, worse even than Koskinen out of net play.

The other game, on this road trip Skinner goes back of net to stop up a routine dump. It was a slow moving puck. It got right through him and squirted out the other side. Only reason it didn't result in a dangerous scoring chance is opponent had changed lines. . Skinner just reacted as though "oh well, that happened" Both benches of course saw it. of course blood was smelled by the opponent. Skinner makes bush leagues mistakes that shouldn't even be in the NHL.
I am not sure I agree with you here.
I like that Pickard is on the team in place of Campbell because his play seems to be more consistent and emotionally/psychologically he is much more resilient than Campbell.
That helps Skinner and his development as a goalie. Skinner takes far too much of the heat on here.
Last nights game is a perfect example...he has a stellar game and there is STILL unwarranted criticism on here.

So I am not going to debate the merits of Skinners game because I suspect it will just be a circular argument. There are things he needs to improve (like puck handling) but thats not at all unusual considering his lack of NHL experience.
Lets just say that I think Skinner doesnt get enough credit for what he does do and he also doesnt get enough consideration for how the team put him into a position to fail.
I am not saying thet he is good enough to be a starter right now.
What I am saying is that the team needs to replace Pickard with a vet tandem goalie and have Skinner grow his game properly.
I see enough in Skinners game which suggests that he can be a starter in due time if his goaltending partner is comptetent.

So if the team gives up on Skinner at this point in time (like many posters on here...maybe even yourself... want them to) it will IMO be yet another decision (on a long list of bad decisions) that the team and fans will come to regret.
Punt Pickard and bring in a solid 1A goalie and let Skinner be the 1B for now and this team is set in net.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am not sure I agree with you here.
I like that Pickard is on the team in place of Campbell because his play seems to be more consistent and and emotionally/psychologically much more resilient than Campbell.
That helps Skinner and his development as a goalie. Skinner takes far too much of the heat on here.
Last nights game is a perfect example...he has a stellar game and there is STILL unwarranted criticism on here.

So I am not going to debate the merits of Skinners game because I suspect it will just be a circular argument. There are things he needs to improve (like puck handling) but thats not at all unusual considering his lack of NHL experience.
Lets just say that I think Skinner doesnt get enough credit for what he does do and he also doesnt get enough consideration for how the team put him into a position to fail.
I am not saying thet he is good enough to be a starter right now.
What I am saying is that the team needs to replace Pickard with a vet tandem goalie and have Skinner grow his game properly.
I see enough in Skinners game which suggests that he can be a starter in due time if his goaltending partner is comptetent.

So if the team gives up on Skinner at this point in time (like many posters on here...maybe even yourself... want them to) it will IMO be yet another decision (on a long list of bad decisions) that the team and fans will come to regret.
Punt Pickard and bring in a solid 1A goalie and let Skinner be the 1B for now and this team is set in net.
I didn't critique Skinners game last night. he did enough. It was as I hoped the team in front of him that forged the result. The combo of the bad ice and pretty tight marking meant that neither team were getting much in first two periods. The goal that was scored was just a brilliantly created goal setup by Zeb and I credited it as such. Sometimes you just have to credit the opponent for a great goal.

Where we disagree is in the notion that certain aspects are grown. Goalies tend not to appreciably grow their stickhandling and puck ability and confidence while playing in the show. Usually these are skills developed through time and that are part of goalies repertoire by the time they arrive in the pros, even in the AHL or ECHL.

You won't like this comment but from interviews its established and in Skinners own words "that he rarely trained hard" that he had trouble climbing stairs, that he couldn't do a push up and such. Skinner has marked skill and physical deficits because he didn't until recently start working on them. Other starting goalies in the league would have taken their careers seriously at an early age and had much more runway to be proficient and had already set thier skillls and abilities table prior to arriving at pro play. Its disconcerting, and should be, that Skinner expects he should just work hard in endeavor for a couple years and somehow be at the top of the hill.

Its unlikely that Skinner ever gets to where you'd want him to be. Frankly he dawdled most of the time leading up to this. He's like Dustin Penner only taking hockey seriously when people started knocking at his door saying he could be a pro. Its underwhelming to me. tbh it puts me off. Most of us work incredibly hard our whole careers to be the best we can be, and for much less than 2.6M. Plus that Dustin Penner was actually talented, used his size effectlvely, and worked on his skills. If Skinner was going to improve that should be notable, instead of the player being in apparent decline.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Drivesaitl
Well...not unexpectedly I disagree with most of what you posted...lol
As I stated in the post you responded to I am not interested (nor do I have the time) to engage in a circular debate on Skinner.
I think I explained my position on Skinner quite clearly.
Time will be the ultimate arbiter.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad