Who doesn't make the starting 12?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
The correct answer is whoever is injured at that date.

The answer you want is either Holland or Frattin

Correct (on both counts). There is practically always at least one player injured during training camp who does not dress for the first game.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That seems like a lot of new players on the outside looking in when musical chairs for roster spots is decided.

Not really. Bodie over Ashton. Holland over Kontiola and then either Booth or Winnik for the 4th line LW spot. That's quite fair I'd think. All of them would be rotated into the lineup quite often (except Ashton who may be waived and sent to the Marlies or traded).

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I have a feeling this Kontiola character isn't going to impress in camp and Randy won't be a fan of him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not really. Bodie over Ashton. Holland over Kontiola and then either Booth or Winnik for the 4th line LW spot. That's quite fair I'd think. All of them would be rotated into the lineup quite often (except Ashton who may be waived and sent to the Marlies or traded).

I found it interesting because some Leaf Nation fans believe that the replacement players are an upgrade on what we had and you suggested Booth, Kontiola and Winnik might see pressbox time.

We know Bolland, Raymond, Kulemin and McClement wouldn't be healthy scratches if they were still here.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
If there can be a trade involving some people, then that's likely the option. Given that we have 15 forwards on our roster right now, I'm going to say the 3 people who don't make the roster are Winnik/Booth, Kontiola and Ashton.

Well it's Holland over Kontiola essentially. Winnik or Booth for the 4th line LW spot and Bodie or Ashton for the 4th line RW spot. If Winnik or Booth could play RW, I might have said Frattin gets bumped but they can't so they get bumped. I also think Santorelli should play center, not RW.

Can't see Winnik sitting, unless he's unhealthy. RC will love him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can't see Winnik sitting, unless he's unhealthy. RC will love him.

I expect Winnik to be on PK#1 unit and that would mean he will be a regular in the line-up. IMO

I see Winnik as Carlyle's new McClement using him similarly in all sorts of situations.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I have a feeling this Kontiola character isn't going to impress in camp and Randy won't be a fan of him.

This guy is a wild card. Don't know how he will turn out, but I bet you Carlyle will try to turn him into Sammy Pahlsson. While Kontiola is considered more of a skilled player and not as good defensively as Sammy Pahlsson, he is Finnish, who all play a good 2 way game. He had excellent face off numbers in the KHL. If he embraces a more 2 way game he could centre a line with Winnik and Komarov for a decent checking line. He is smart, smart players can adapt. I have a good feeling about this guy.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Frattin, he was brought in as the middle-6 injury-replacement, won't start the year assuming everyone is healthy

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Best case scenario, Frattin, Booth and Holland are all competing for 2 roster spots every night. But with inevitable injuries, they'll all get in a good amount of games.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I voted for Kontiola, but I expect someone to get injured and the remaining people on the list to dress.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Basically all those guys if healthy will be in except Holland and/or Frattin. Hard to see Ashton or Bodie beating out any of them for a roster spot as well.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I think it will be Kontiola.

Could be Booth as well if he has a bad camp.

But i really think Holland has a spot, he was just to good with the Marlies and was solid in the NHL last year.

Booth-Holland-Frattin should be our 4th wave of offense.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Why would you include some of these options like seriously?
The only people needed in this list were Booth, Frattin and Holland

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
there are 4 players on that list who hasn't proven they can play at an NHL level for 82 games, Komarov, Kontiola, Frattin, and Holland. I expect it to be one of the last 3 as you don't make a 4 year commitment to komo and then not play him.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
there are 4 players on that list who hasn't proven they can play at an NHL level for 82 games, Komarov, Kontiola, Frattin, and Holland. I expect it to be one of the last 3 as you don't make a 4 year commitment to komo and then not play him.

Komo should not be on that list not just because of his contract, yes he hasnt proven himself over those 82 games but he has in the shortened season, the question OP was asking was who makes the starting 12 not who do you think is gonna play 82 games... I think Kontiola shouldn't be on that list either but thats just my opinion i could be wrong

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Which is why I think Booth was brought in. When healthy he basically plays the same game as Lupul.

Dave Booth stats

Totals last 3 years ..... 107 games 26 goals 26 assists 52 points
Ave per 82 games ........ 82 games 20 goals 20 assists 40 points

Dave Booth if he plays a full season and hits his 3 year average is more about replacing the departed Raymond 19-26-45 points. IMO

It might be Lupul -- Kadri -- Booth on Leafs 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad