Speculation: Who does Yzerman steal from Tampa Bay?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Often times, newly installed GM's will poach their old teams for talent. With Tampa Bay underachieving so hard this playoffs and some cap hurdles to come with Brayden Point and Andrei Vasilevskiy hitting restricted free agency, does Yzerman go after anybody on Tampa Bay to accelerate the build in Detroit?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Both Point and Vasi are RFA, he would never offer sheet his former team and they dont have the ammo to trade for them (Vasi on paper sure but Tampa isnt losing their #1 goalie)

Cant see either of them being options.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Both Point and Vasi are RFA, he would never offer sheet his former team and they dont have the ammo to trade for them (Vasi on paper sure but Tampa isnt losing their #1 goalie)

Cant see either of them being options.

I think the point he's making is that Tampa is going to have to move cap to keep both of those guys.

... That being said, the guys that will be moved aren't guys that fit into Detroit's rebuild.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
hot take: yzerman will surprise everybody by trading for stamkos, who willingly goes to detroit to be close to home and fulfill his all his "i am yzerman" fantasies. stevie builds around stamkos and hires the appropriate coach to turn him into heart and soul two-way late career yzerman, returns the wings to playoff glory.

glen sather take: yzerman surprises everybody by trading for stamkos, who goes willingly because yzerman pyjamas, helping TB out of impending cap hell. without their captain and historically most disappointing playoff performer, and with new cap flexibility, they comfortably re-sign point and regroup in the offseason and win those cups people were predicting. meanwhile, stamkos is stamkos and yzerman keeps spending money on old garbage to "help" him, destroying his rich, once proud franchise.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
And judging by the names posted above me, I was absolutely right to state that none of the guys available fit into a rebuild.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Out of idle curiosity, can you cite an example of this?
It happens I agree NHL guys have their favourites. Sather brought over former Oilers when he first went to Rangers. I know old example but it's happened recently to I just can't for life of me think of specific one right now sorry.

Edit.

Didn't Lou Lamarillo bring Martin and Komarov to Islanders this past off season with him from Leafs?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Out of curiosity, would Tampa want to free up cap enough to trade Callahan and their 1st (27th) for Detroit's 2nd? (35th)

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm sure the lines are open between Tampa and Detroit since Yzerman and BriseBois were here together for all eight years so they're probably friends by now. I very much doubt Yzerman will offer sheet Point or anything crazy like that but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more minor movement between the teams.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Out of idle curiosity, can you cite an example of this?

Jim Rutherford trading for Ron Hainsey in Carolina, Marc Bergevin trading for Andrew Shaw in Montreal, Brian Burke trading for Jake Gardiner, Joffrey Lupul, JS Giguere and many others in Toronto, Lou Lamoriello acquiring Matt Martin and Leo Komarov on Long Island, Peter Chiarelli acquiring Zdeno Chara in Boston, Jason Botterill trading for Connor Sheary in Buffalo, etc. Peter Chiarelli acquiring Andrew Ference in Edmonton, Dale Tallon acquiring Kris Versteeg, David Bolland, Brian Campbell in Florida, etc.

Reactions: CountKong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad