Who does QB center in his first game?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I don't think his confidence is going to be shattered. Who's saying that?

Relatively speaking, Byfield has played very little hockey recently. His last CHL season was cut short by injury, then COVID. He didn't really get into a groove in the WJC.

Then he plays 30 AHL games and he really starts to get going (so I'm told) for the first time in basically a year. Now we're going to yank him out of that situation.

I felt the same way about Vilardi. He finally gets into a groove, then they yank him out of it.

I like the idea of QB getting a few NHL games here at the end of the season, but if things are starting to click for him in Ontario, why not let him marinate a little longer? Then you can bring him up for the last few games of the season.

Relatively speaking, Byfield's played nearly as much hockey as everyone else. He didn't finally get into a groove, he's been playing well for a longer stretch than he ever struggled in the AHL.

Ontario only has 8 games left. Practicing with the big club + 6 NHL games could easily be more valuable to him than 8 more AHL games.

And Vilardi was outstanding in his 10 game call up last year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Vilardi should be with Kopitar because I don't feel he's a good enough skater to play center.

I'd like to see Vilardi with anyone on the wing. I'd be fine with Byfield too, it's not like the games mean much. It's not only a better spot for Gabe's skating, one thing that is missed more than I thought is having multiple faceoff takers on the ice with every line. It was hard for other teams when Lewis and Carter were on the wings, because if the center got tossed it wasn't a gimme for the other team. Vilardi is solid at the dot.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doesn't mean that it was the right move.

I don't know that there's a 'right answer' or right move here.

But I'd probably disagree that calling Vilardi up at the end of last year was the wrong move.

And I think in this case rewarding Byfield for his growth with some NHL time (and as they point out time with Kopitar) would be better preparation for next season than a handful more AHL games.

I see your reasoning though, finishing what he started isn't a bad idea either, I just think he's better served seeing the NHL at this point.

Keep in mind he's jumping the line a little--Turcotte isn't even getting a breath of a callup, and Kupari and Kaliyev both already got games too--so it's not like it's totally thoughtless (as much as I hammer lineup decisions, heh).

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't think his confidence is going to be shattered. Who's saying that?

Relatively speaking, Byfield has played very little hockey recently. His last CHL season was cut short by injury, then COVID. He didn't really get into a groove in the WJC.

Then he plays 30 AHL games and he really starts to get going (so I'm told) for the first time in basically a year. Now we're going to yank him out of that situation.

I felt the same way about Vilardi. He finally gets into a groove, then they yank him out of it.

I like the idea of QB getting a few NHL games here at the end of the season, but if things are starting to click for him in Ontario, why not let him marinate a little longer? Then you can bring him up for the last few games of the season.

Apologies for assuming it was due to worries about his confidence because that is the only reasoning I can see for being against him getting the six games in this season.

He's not being "yanked" out of his current situation just like Vilardi wasn't either: guys in the AHL want to play really well so they can get called up. This was always the plan with Byfield and was only going to change if he was a total wreck down in Ontario.

I think you are kind of splitting hairs when it comes to marinating. Three or four more games in Ontario might not mean anything for him when it comes to the three NHL games but the first three NHL games can help him be better in the last three NHL games and that's what he takes in to next season.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We could ice a young, exciting roster. No, really, we could. We won't, but we could.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Vilardi
Kempe - Byfield - Athanasiou
Grundstrom - JAD - Kupari
Moore - Lizotte - Brown

Bjornfot - Doughty
Clague - Roy
Anderson - Walker

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
We could ice a young, exciting roster. No, really, we could. We won't, but we could.

Moore - Lizotte - Brown

Bjornfot - Doughty
Clague - Roy
Anderson - Walker

This would make too much sense. We are talking about Todd nothing makes any sense. LOL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Moore - Lizotte - Brown

Bjornfot - Doughty
Clague - Roy
Anderson - Walker

Brown leads team in goals so you put him on the 4th line? I know he is far from flashy but come on

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Brown leads team in goals so you put him on the 4th line? I know he is far from flashy but come on

Brown 4 goals last 20 (one empty net) and has played his most lackluster hockey of his career since March 10. 3 goals in 20 games, line 1 and PP1 is pretty abysmal.
No way he's line 1 next year.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
No way he's line 1 next year.

upload_2021-4-27_16-50-22.png

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Y'all know I love Brown, but if he leads the team in goals next season, there's not a chance we sniff the playoffs. Brown's line probably still plays 15 minutes a night, I just want to put some other guys in a position to succeed for the rest of the year. There's like 10 games left in a lost season anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad