Prospect Info: Who does LA pick #2? Part 2 To Byfield or to Stutzle? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Dillman picked Stutzle in The Athletic’s mock draft:

2. Los Angeles: Tim Stutzle, C, Mannheim-DEL
Lisa Dillman: It was a far simpler time, 2019. In various mock drafts, I had my pick and actually stuck with it – defenseman Bowen Byram, who went to Colorado at No. 4. There was no waffling. This is all a prelude to a shift to Stutzle from Quinton Byfield. Stutzle would give the Kings something they desperately need: a creative offensive touch and versatility, the ability to play in the middle and left wing. The projections have him ready to play in the NHL sooner than Byfield. While the Kings have the luxury of time, they don’t have years and years of it.

NHL staff mock draft 2020: Changes in the top three, plus an audit by NHL scouts

Reactions: ibleedkings

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Making a choice for the #2 pick is a tough one for sure. When we voted on here (before the kings got the pick), I chose Stutzle. The Pat Kane comparables are hard to ignore. And he projects to be ready next year, which I thought the Kings needed.

But after getting the pick, and looking at QBs combination of size, skill and age, it’s hard not to buy into him having the most upside.

I don’t pretend to have an informed opinion of which guy is the best pick. No one know for 100% sure.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings don't have years and years? I can only assume people think Byfield needs to show up and become a star within two years, because Kopitar and Doughty are reaching the end of the road. This is a false premise. No single player is going to save the Kopitar/Doughty-led Kings. Also, why should it be assumed Byfield will take years and years. If we are in for a scenario similar to the one Colorado had with MacKinnon, I would be very satisfied.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, i have no problems with someone (or the LAKs) picking Stutzle. But doing so partly because "he's more NHL ready now" and the Kings don't have "years" the develop -- is kind of the poster child for GM draft failures and getting fired down the road. It also simply is not true....even if it is, it's a very slight difference and not one to make a decision upon.

Better player -- then sure ok. But anything else and you are an idiot.

If the Kings are so concerned about winning now or within a year or so, then you will see us trade the #2 pick+ for an unhappy star (which i'm pretty sure they won't be doing).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He's 3rd on my list. Not that I have an official list or anything. :snide:

Good time for him to display his talents with the draft a few weeks away.

Curious to see if someone within the top 10 takes a crack at him, or if he falls in the 11-15 range. I can’t imagine him dropping past that, though I was wrong about Carter Hart being a first round caliber goalie and he slid to the second round. That’s one a lot of experts got wrong.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If the Kings are in a “win now” mode, you don’t address that at the draft, because as KINGS17 said, no single player in this draft is going to save the Kings. These guys aren’t the next McDavid or Crosby.

If they need to win now, you address that in free agency and trades, which I don’t anticipate happening immediately. Next year, when the organization has a better idea on a lot of these prospects, would be the time to consider looking at immediate upgrades.

Reactions: Guitpik

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
So is Dillman making this choice based on her own personal preferences or is she suggesting the Kings moved on from Byfield?

It’s somewhat unclear, but I think that’s her preference.

Here’s the intro to the article:
Welcome to The Athletic staff’s 2020 NHL Mock Draft. This is where the beat writers make the first-round picks for the teams they cover.
The writers had complete autonomy to make the picks. I gave a suggested player pool of roughly 40 names I thought had strong chances to go in the first round and the range they could go, but they were suggestions and the beat writers could and did go outside those suggestions. I also provided counsel when asked.
The goal of the mock draft was to predict what would actually happen on draft day, not what the writers would do if they were running the team.
At the bottom of the piece, I provided my input on how the mock draft went and also sought the opinions from NHL scouts on the results.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The only way they are addressing the roster in-terms of high impact in the short-term, would be trading the pick along with other high picks this year and next, as well as players like Kaliyev, Turcotte, Madden, Bjornfot etc (not all, but a combination of some) for players who would step into top 6/top 4 roles next year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Someone inform Lisa of how the top prospects from the 2019 draft performed and if they helped any of their respective clubs win now. Even if they force their 2020 pick to play this season, they're not going to have that big of an impact on the team's success, so I don't get the sense of urgency to rush the rebuild by drafting for an immediate need.

Also worth mentioning the funny timing of The Athletic mock draft that has Lisa Dillman picking Stutzle at #2. Scott Wheeler released his final draft rankings as well, and he rated Stutzle 7th on his list and he makes mention of concern about his size.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Someone inform Lisa of how the top prospects from the 2019 draft performed and if they helped any of their respective clubs win now. Even if they force their 2020 pick to play this season, they're not going to have that big of an impact on the team's success, so I don't get the sense of urgency to rush the rebuild by drafting for an immediate need.

Same. I don't expect Byfield would play anymore than the 9 games (if that, depending on how the start of the season conflicts with WJC camp), and Tim should spend another year in the DEL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just for a frame of reference, this is how The Athletic's mock draft played out a year ago.

1. NJD - Jack Hughes
2. NYR - Kaapo Kakko
3. CHI - Alex Turcotte
4. COL - Dylan Cozens
5. LAK - Bowen Byram
6. DET - Trevor Zegras
7. BUF - Cole Caufield
8. EDM - Kirby Dach
9. ANA - Peyton Krebs
10. VAN - Matthew Boldy

With the exception of the top two obvious choices, they were completely off the mark on all of their picks from 3-10. Meanwhile, Senators fans are rejoicing as if Dillman's pick confirms the Kings' strategy.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Just for a frame of reference, this is how The Athletic's mock draft played out a year ago.

1. NJD - Jack Hughes
2. NYR - Kaapo Kakko
3. CHI - Alex Turcotte
4. COL - Dylan Cozens
5. LAK - Bowen Byram
6. DET - Trevor Zegras
7. BUF - Cole Caufield
8. EDM - Kirby Dach
9. ANA - Peyton Krebs
10. VAN - Matthew Boldy

With the exception of the top two obvious choices, they were completely off the mark on all of their picks from 3-10. Meanwhile, Senators fans are rejoicing as if Dillman's pick confirms the Kings' strategy.

I'm not. I want Stutzle more than I wanted a Synergy with an Yzerman curve in 2003.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Good time for him to display his talents with the draft a few weeks away.

Curious to see if someone within the top 10 takes a crack at him, or if he falls in the 11-15 range. I can’t imagine him dropping past that, though I was wrong about Carter Hart being a first round caliber goalie and he slid to the second round. That’s one a lot of experts got wrong.

I know it will probably won't happen, but I really want to trade up for Askarov. Been a big fan of his all season. Imagine him with LA's goaltending magic

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
A TPS Rubber.
I wanted a TPS Report

TPS-Report.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know it will probably won't happen, but I really want to trade up for Askarov. Been a big fan of his all season. Imagine him with LA's goaltending magic

I agree, I don't think we have what it takes to get back up to where he'll be taken, but I do think it will be worth it.

I do think Commesso will be a nice consolation prize at a better pick value

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I like how Byfeild was the consensus #2 pick until

1. draft dynasty mentioned potential issues with his inflated #'s with OHL transition play
2. sens fans disinformation campaign to pump up Stutzle and downplay Byfeild

Some of the Hockey media has bought into this and have run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad