Who do you WANT to win the Stanley Cup this year? Name your top 5 choices

Who do you WANT to win the Stanley Cup this year? Name your top 5 choices

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Curious to see which teams are most popular in regards to fans wanting them to win a cup.

I left off the teams obviously eliminated form playoff contention, but tried to keep all other teams who could still make the playoffs in the poll. In the east - Pittsburgh is in, Buffalo is out. In the west, Wild is in, Arizona is out.

Remember - the question isn't about who has a legitimate chance - just who you'd WANT to win the most. So all teams should be equal in this sense, no need to prioritize favorites.

ie - I suspect a ton of non-Oiler fans would still love to see McDavid win one, so I expect they are going to be the #1 vote. And I know Vegas is generally disliked, so they might get a very low amount of votes, despite being arguably the #1 favorite.

So - vote for your top 5 teams you'd most like to see win a cup this year

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll start by listing my top 5, in order:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins. Yeah I know based on standings they're the least likely of those teams with a chance to win now - but I'd love to see Crosby win one more, and I even like EK, so would be cool to see him win one too.

2. New York Islanders. So weird to list them high as it's one of the teams I generally care the absolute least about. I don't even hate them, just generally don't care at all about the Islanders. But I'm a Habs fan and I love Patrick Roy - and I think seeing him go all the way in year 1 as a coach would be entertaining as hell.

3. Edmonton. But only if McDrai put on a performance for the ages. 2 years ago through 2 rounds, McDavid seemed to legitimately have a shot at Gretzky/Lemieux's all-time single playoff run records. Obviously, they couldn't keep it up past round 2, but still - I'd love to see them win a cup and go for records at same time. Depending on how good McDavid and Drai do, I could see this bumped up to #1 or 2 of my preferences.

4. Toronto Maple Leafs. Yeah, I'm a Habs fan, so this seems a little wrong, but at least I didn't list Boston (who is dead last). As much fun and as funny as it is to make fun of the Leafs constantly losing - I still think it would be incredibly entertaining to see them go all the way. All the media/fan hype would be fun to follow. Similar caveat as Edmonton - I care about this a lot more if Matthews puts on a performance for the ages, if not I care a lot less. I'd like to see Matthews top 19 playoff goals - the all-time single run record.

5. Tampa Bay Lightning. I think this is the best team of the cap era, but that core seems to be on their last legs. I would love to see them prove doubters wrong, and go all the way and win a third cup with this core.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Toronto: I'm a fan, so obviously no 1
Avs: I already liked the Nordiques back in the days.
Flames: I have a soft spot for them due to Iginla.
Jets: my no 3 in Canada --> the Cup belongs to Canada!
Blues: a now retired colleague from our STL based subsidiary is a huge Blues fan.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
ie - I suspect a ton of non-Oiler fans would still love to see McDavid win one, so I expect they are going to be the #1 vote. And I know Vegas is generally disliked, so they might get a very low amount of votes, despite being arguably the #1 favorite.
Hmm I’m not so sure about that

• Love
Reactions: M2Beezy

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Dallas
Florida
Tampa
NJ
Didn't vote a 5th but if I did
Colorado
Vegas

Vegas should be the standard that all teams strive to be ran like, so if one of the first 4 doesn't/can't then hopefully they get rewarded. Colorado because Mack, Makar and JJ

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Canucks leading and there aren't a lot of names in the voter's list I recognize as Canucks fans. What a change from 2011 when no one but Habs fans wanted us to win.

May the gusts of positivity and kind hearts fill our sails and carry us to victory. :laugh:

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Boston.

Brad Marchand is under appreciated. The guy is a true Captain

Domi-squashing-the-rat.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Edmonton: My team so of course

Florida: Was always the oddball of the league and now they legitimately look great. Would like to see them succeed after their years of being a punching bag.

Rangers: Always had a soft pot for them, probably due to being Oilers lite in the 90's.

Devils: Was always my second fav, from the Brodeur days. Always like seeing them succeed.

Toronto: For the lulz

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm a Wings fan so that one kinda goes without saying

no particular order for the rest:

Vegas - i'd like to see them repeat mostly because peoples reactions to the cap stuff would be funny

New Jersey - mostly just because I like their roster

Edmonton - i'd like to see McDavid win one just to push back on silly narratives like with Vegas

Florida - would be a cool story since they've never won one and have dealt with all sorts of abuse from the anti southern hockey people over the years

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I think I'm rooting for the canadian teams, I think this is the best chance in a while to finally end the cup drought.

As much as some of their fan bases can be annoying, they are very passioned and deserve some success. Canucks are easy for me to root for as I love Hughes, but also since they've had two bitter SC final losses. Oilers also because of Henrique and the best player in the game. Florida is also in the same 2 losses 0 cups category, but I'm having a harder time rooting for a taxfree ufa destination.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Couldn't pick 5.

I went with Vegas, Carolina and Calgary.

I guess I wouldn't mind the Wild winning.... ah why not I added them.

Pity they dropped out though, because Arizona would have been a team I could pick 5th. The would have been hilarious.... also nice for their fans.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Vancouver and Carolina

-
Don't want Boston or anyone of the other Canadian teams to ever win in the future especially Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. f*** them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carolina - Smart front office, consistently good team, would be good to see them get over the hump.

Colorado - Most fun core to watch in the league since the ‘dynasty’ Hawks IMO. Another smart, analytically driven front office I wish more teams (my own included) would emulate.

Vegas - Just to hear the whining over cap shenanigans from fans of Canadian teams

Vancouver - Because it would be hilarious to see a team ride PDO all the way to a cup

Florida - Meh. I needed a fifth option, and any time a sunbelt team wins it all the kvetching on Toronto sports radio is *chef’s kiss*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad