Who do you want the future captain to be?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anyone see Cammy's interview? He was asked how he would feel if Hartley asked him to be captain, while he said he would not say no, he said he thinks Gio should be the captain and he would be honored to wear an A under him. There's been constant rumors from the players as to who they think is going to be the next captain, sounds as if Cammy just let it leak out.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Anyone see Cammy's interview? He was asked how he would feel if Hartley asked him to be captain, while he said he would not say no, he said he thinks Gio should be the captain and he would be honored to wear an A under him. There's been constant rumors from the players as to who they think is going to be the next captain, sounds as if Cammy just let it leak out.

Groundbreaking leak

TylerSVT*

What i suspect will happen:

No Jersey announcement, No captain announcement, First game in, Gio skates out of the room wearing the new 3rd uniform and with the C on his chest.

I think that would be badass.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What i suspect will happen:

No Jersey announcement, No captain announcement, First game in, Gio skates out of the room wearing the new 3rd uniform and with the C on his chest.

I think that would be badass.
that would only work if the 3rd jersey is white since our season opener is a road game

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I think we all knew their were really only 3 options (GlenX, Cammy, and Gio) and due to the fact that the Flames are Gio's only team and is a fan favorite he was most likely the front runner.

that would only work if the 3rd jersey is white since our season opener is a road game

He could just wear it for warm ups and then change before the game starts.

Personally I would rather have 3 A's and pass them around between Cammy, Gio, GlenX, Hudler, Wideman, Stajan. I don't think we really have a captain right now and I would like to wait for someone to step up into that role.

Aug 3, 2010

Not surprised - I'm going to be a bit more pessimistic and say that, because he feels like he has a large chance of being traded at the deadline, there's no great reason he should be the captain for this year. He figures that Giordano might be around longer than him so it makes more sense.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I didn't realize it was a mystery, wasn't it pretty well known Gio was basically a shoe in?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not surprised - I'm going to be a bit more pessimistic and say that, because he feels like he has a large chance of being traded at the deadline, there's no great reason he should be the captain for this year. He figures that Giordano might be around longer than him so it makes more sense.

I agree with your assessment, but I do think Cammy would be happy with Gio as a captain.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No one at the moment. There's a decent chance neither Cammalleri nor Giordano finish the year as a Flame. And Glencross doesn't have the temperament to be a good captain. Play through the season and see if anyone steps up.

TylerSVT*

According to Hartley last night they have picked the Captain and just have not announced it yet. Cammi said he was very happy with the player and its someone who has been with them a long time.

Its Gio no doubt about it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I never said it was a secret. There have been leaks from players over the summer who said they suspect they know who the new captain will likely be, but never said who. Its always been suspected it was Gio, my point was that Cammy basically confirmed it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What does this even mean?

He's prone to bouts of emotional instability. Gets frustrated and then loses a lot of his effectiveness. He's gotten a lot better at controlling himself, but I don't think he has the maturity level to be an effective captain.

It's a good story if Giordano gets the nod. From playing a year in the KHL because he couldn't get a one way contract to becoming captain in six years.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I didn't like that story last year how our veterans left a rookie hanging and Conroy had to call them out. Stuff like that is a sure sign of poor leadership.

We saw some real leadership out of Ramage and Ferland in the prospect tourney.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He's prone to bouts of emotional instability. Gets frustrated and then loses a lot of his effectiveness. He's gotten a lot better at controlling himself, but I don't think he has the maturity level to be an effective captain.

It's a good story if Giordano gets the nod. From playing a year in the KHL because he couldn't get a one way contract to becoming captain in six years.

Gio has just as many stupid penalties and loses control of himself but unlike Gio GlenX won't be traded.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Gio has just as many stupid penalties and loses control of himself but unlike Gio GlenX won't be traded.

No he doesn't. That is flat out wrong. Gio does not take penalties due to his temper. Last year he had some ill timed holding/tripping calls, but outside of that he's been quite disciplined.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No he doesn't. That is flat out wrong. Gio does not take penalties due to his temper. Last year he had some ill timed holding/tripping calls, but outside of that he's been quite disciplined.

Last GlenX didn't take any attitude related penalties but both have taken angry penalties in the past I don't see why it should only stop GlenX from being captain (I don't think either are real captains but it is a stupid reason to exclude one)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Giordano doesn't really lose his cool and start taking dumb penalties; he just stops being an effective defensemen. At least that was the case last year. With Glencross, he gets frustrated and then starts mouthing off, and then starts with the penalties. And often times, starts coasting too. That's not really the type of behavior you'd want incoming rookies and prospects to replicate.

If it was up to me though, neither would get the captaincy.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Giordano doesn't really lose his cool and start taking dumb penalties; he just stops being an effective defensemen. At least that was the case last year. With Glencross, he gets frustrated and then starts mouthing off, and then starts with the penalties. And often times, starts coasting too. That's not really the type of behavior you'd want incoming rookies and prospects to replicate.

If it was up to me though, neither would get the captaincy.

That rarely happens they both have taken emotional penalties

The biggest difference for me is that GlenX is always 100% Gio has struggled at times recently. I know Gio will be the captain I am just saying using "emotional" penalties to say someone can't be captain is stupid when Gio does it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad