Who do you want the future captain to be?

Medium Rare*

Really?!

1. I can count on my hand how many times this year he took a bad penalty. Enough said.

2. Nothing wrong with a heated discussion, as long as it is done in a constructive way.

3. Wow a "hold out" arguement from way in the past, even though he was in the right at the time. That's laughable, how can anyone be your captain with those kind of standards. I've never seen a captain in this league get into an argument with his coach or management:sarcasm:.

Your simply grasping at straws to save face. If Iginla moves, who do you propose be captain?
yes really.

and since your reading skills fail you, I will repeat myself, I wouldn't make anyone on the current roster captain, especially anyone under contract for next year. I don't even like most of these choices for an 'A'.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
yes really.

and since your reading skills fail you, I will repeat myself, I wouldn't make anyone on the current roster captain, especially anyone under contract for next year. I don't even like most of these choices for an 'A'.

Well then, all I have to say is that you are just wrong. It's not even a matter of opinion in my books. Gio (from what the public can see) is a natural leader and has done quite a bit to earn a letter with this team.

It would be an insult to Gio to bring in a "Stoll" and slap the C on him after how much Gio has done for this team already.

If this team had no leaders outside of Iginla then fine. But it is clear Gio is a solid leader, and he leads through work ethic, something this team desperatly needs more of. You trying to hang him with a holdout that happened years ago, and when Gio was clearly right, is ridiculous.

I can read just fine thanks. If you expect me to go back to every one of your posts (which cover half of this thread) then give your head a shake.

Medium Rare*

Well then, all I have to say is that you are just wrong. It's not even a matter of opinion in my books. Gio (from what the public can see) is a natural leader and has done quite a bit to earn a letter with this team.

It would be an insult to Gio to bring in a "Stoll" and slap the C on him after how much Gio has done for this team already.

If this team had no leaders outside of Iginla then fine. But it is clear Gio is a solid leader, and he leads through work ethic, something this team desperatly needs more of. You trying to hang him with a holdout that happened years ago, and when Gio was clearly right, is ridiculous.

I can read just fine thanks. If you expect me to go back to every one of your posts (which cover half of this thread) then give your head a shake.
I didn't realize how a bunch of fans felt was what made a player a captain material.

You can't tell me that my opinion is wrong when neither of us are in the dressing room with the guys. Maybe I am wrong and Giordano would be a good captain, but maybe I am not wrong.

I also never said there was no leaders on the team, I just said there is no one I like with a letter on their jersey. I think the guys with the letters should be fiery competitors and be fairly even keel. Basically the ideal guy would be a mix of Giordano and Bouwmeester, maybe thats why they both have A's, I don't know.

And if a player is insulted because someone new gets a letter before them, then they are not captain material anyways.

I would also like to say before Nystrom was moved I saw him as potential captain material, I was reminded of this when I heard Keenan's interview today.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Bringing this back from early 2012. Now that we still don't have a captain, would you prefer to give it to Gio or wait a few years and hand it to one of our young guys? I'd love a 20 year old Monahan as captain.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Bringing this back from early 2012. Now that we still don't have a captain, would you prefer to give it to Gio or wait a few years and hand it to one of our young guys? I'd love a 20 year old Monahan as captain.

I think neither, for a while. I think it should be Dennis Wideman, to be honest. When he leaves, then Monahan.

RA9

Dec 30, 2009
i'd rather us roll without a captain for a little while until we find a guy that can fill that role (i'd love it to be baertschi in a couple of years, i think he can be a true leader, 100% every night.) heck monahan too.

but if i was to choose one now, i'd say gio.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Cammy for now. He's vocal and wants to win. But since I doubt he sticks around I say we wait until Ramage gets a full-time gig with the big club.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The only two possibilities right now IMO are Glencross and Giordano. I'd give it to Glencross personally, but wouldn't be upset to see Gio get it.

I think we need to let the long term play out. I think a number of guys could be that player. Monahan, Bartschi, Brodie, Arnold and Cundari are all pretty well spoken and hard workers. My darkhorse pick is Cundari. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people and end up being a top 4 defenseman.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Gio until its time to give it to him.

monahantwo940-8col.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure any of the current team really deserve it this year, but it will go to Giordano most likely.

Since I don't see 1 guy that stands out as the guy, I would actually like the Flames to do like the Heat have the last couple years (even though Laing was always the guy) and that is go the first month with a trio of players wearing an "A" each night, then choose the captain based on what they show for leadership.

But I know that won't happen. So my picks:

Calgary:

C - Giordano
A - Cammalleri, Glencross

Abbotsford:

C - Begin
A - Bancks, Breen, Ramage, Nemisz

Trae

Calgary
For right now using the same format they used before...

Captain: Giordano
Home Assistants: Glencross, Backlund
Away Assistants: Cammalleri, Stajan

I chose Backlund because he is one of the leaders in community involvement, can be a good mentor for all the you g guys since he just finished being the organizations only young guy. Stajan because he's actually consistent and extremely likeable in the locker room with his teammates based on interviews I've seen and read on the Flames website.

In a couple years we have so many character guys that could have the 'C' or an 'A' if they make the NHL:
- Monahan
- Baertschi
- Reinhart
- Ramage
- Gaudreau
- Arnold
- Knight
- Brodie
- Hanowski
- Klimchuk
- Wotherspoon
- Agostino
- Sieloff

The list goes on. I love how management has taken character, attitude, and personality, very seriously and it seems like it has become a priority when acquiring or drafting players.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Thread title confuses me. Is this who we want the captain to be NOW or in the future?

Now should be Gio or GlenX. Future should be Monahan or Sven.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thread title confuses me. Is this who we want the captain to be NOW or in the future?

Now should be Gio or GlenX. Future should be Monahan or Sven.
look at the date of the original post. it was 2012, so Iginla was still here.

So I guess the future is now.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
For right now using the same format they used before...

Captain: Giordano
Home Assistants: Glencross, Backlund
Away Assistants: Cammalleri, Stajan

I chose Backlund because he is one of the leaders in community involvement, can be a good mentor for all the you g guys since he just finished being the organizations only young guy. Stajan because he's actually consistent and extremely likeable in the locker room with his teammates based on interviews I've seen and read on the Flames website.

In a couple years we have so many character guys that could have the 'C' or an 'A' if they make the NHL:
- Monahan
- Baertschi
- Reinhart
- Ramage
- Gaudreau
- Arnold
- Knight
- Brodie
- Hanowski
- Klimchuk
- Wotherspoon
- Agostino
- Sieloff

The list goes on. I love how management has taken character, attitude, and personality, very seriously and it seems like it has become a priority when acquiring or drafting players.

Brodie, Hanowski, Gaudreau, Klimchuk and Reinhart are not character guys. They actually seem quiet and like background guys. However, Ramage, Monahan, Sieloff, Agostino and Wotherspoon would make great Captains.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brodie, Hanowski, Gaudreau, Klimchuk and Reinhart are not character guys. They actually seem quiet and like background guys. However, Ramage, Monahan, Sieloff, Agostino and Wotherspoon would make great Captains.
Hanowski is widely known for his leadership, not sure where you are pulling this garbage from

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Both Reinhart and Wotherspoon have both only ever been assistant Captains once both being last year how is one better than the other?

benfool

Aug 30, 2013
Glencross

I love Glencross and I think he has the best salary on the team for what he brings. I do not feel is the guy you want to be a captain. He is talented and skates very well but I feel his inconsistent effort hinders him.

I think Gio is going to be the next captain, I have loved him ever since I saw him beat up Smid. I find it so funny that we used to have so many guys that could be captain when Iggy was here and now we have so few.

From all I have heard of Monahan I think he will be the franchise captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00