Who do you view as our biggest rival?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I suppose it might be somewhat age dependant, but as someone that goes back to the O6, it always has, and always will be, Montreal.

I would root for any team playing against the Canadiens.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Montreal, Boston (although i imagine they wouldn't consider us a rival), Ottawa.

The rest are artificial "rivalries" based on geographic distances.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Doesn't the Leafs ownership the past 50 years pretty much, count as a rival? Should be an option in the poll. I voted MTL because my cousin is a Habs fan and well I cant stand that damn OLE OLE chant at the dinner table on Christmas Day.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
We don't really have one. I'd say between the fans it's with montreal, but the team itself doesn't really have one anymore. But I think that will change once the ship is righted.

MapleLife*

I miss the old Ottawa rivalry, really hasn't been good since we've been terrible.

Back in the day, kicking them out of the playoffs in the first round year after year. Ahh memories

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Went with the Media. Montreal is the obvious answer. But really our Media is our own worst enemy. It scares players from wanting to sign here we hate all our journalists and they have nothing but negativity to say about this team. Ya most of that is justified but damn if they ever have a positive thing to say about this team other then obvious homers like Joe Bowen, Paul Hendricks and Don Cherry.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I listed teams we have a rivalry with to varying degrees. Montreal will be forever but until we meet up in the post-season again or something akin to Chara pushing MaxPac into the stanchion happens it'll remain pretty dormant. Hell, to most of their fan base (Or at least the sub-30 age group) we might as well be Arizona, and without a mutual hate I wouldn't consider it a real rivalry.

Our rivalry with Detroit is essentially over, and I don't believe we have one with Boston (To answer a posters question).

That leaves Ottawa and Buffalo. I voted Buffalo because ever single time our teams play there is shenanigans, the teams don't like each other, their fans don't like us (Especially since we invade there barn routinely) and it's always entertaining. And frankly, I hate them more then anyone else.

What's sad it a mod added an option for some reason and it's gained more votes then Buffalo, Detroit, and almost Ottawa.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Success?

As sad as it is...I don't think we have a legitimate rival right now. We've been so bad for so long it's hard to sustain a rivalry.

Montreal
Boston
Ottawa

Those are the 3 teams that have been in the rotation for...pretty much our entire existence but as of right now...rivalries are kinda dead.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I listed teams we have a rivalry with to varying degrees. Montreal will be forever but until we meet up in the post-season again or something akin to Chara pushing MaxPac into the stanchion happens it'll remain pretty dormant. Hell, to most of their fan base (Or at least the sub-30 age group) we might as well be Arizona, and without a mutual hate I wouldn't consider it a real rivalry.

Our rivalry with Detroit is essentially over, and I don't believe we have one with Boston (To answer a posters question).

That leaves Ottawa and Buffalo. I voted Buffalo because ever single time our teams play there is shenanigans, the teams don't like each other, their fans don't like us (Especially since we invade there barn routinely) and it's always entertaining. And frankly, I hate them more then anyone else.

What's sad it a mod added an option for some reason and it's gained more votes then Buffalo, Detroit, and almost Ottawa.

Whats sad is that they are probably our biggest rivals right now and are more dangerous than any other team.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Montreal obv. Might change once we make the playoffs and play a team a couple times.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I was have some rivalry discussion and I thought I'd just ask our fan base here. Who do you view as our biggest current rival?

My personal opinion is Buffalo

:huh:

Montreal - forever and for always.

Ottawa is second when the teams are both competitive and play each other in the playoffs.

wulfio*

Philly was a pretty good rival in the early 2000's. I'll never forget Domi vs. Flyers fan in the penalty box. Outside of the early 90s in those 2 playoff series, the Red Wings haven't been a rival in my life time.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
1.Montreal (Utmost respect.)
2.Ottawa (No respect.)
3.Boston (No respect.)
4.Philadelphia (Little respect.)
5.Buffalo (Indifferent at the moment.)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Honestly, none. We are just too bad right now for any of our noted rivals of the past to take us seriously. Early-mid 2000's was definitely Ottawa though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad