Who do you try to play like?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
As a centre I am your typical defensive center. I backcheck hard and patrol the slot in my own zone quite well, but I won't let myself get caught too deep in the offensive zone.

As a winger I'm usually driving wide and trying to crash the crease with a puck or floating below the goal line and popping the puck into the slot.

nukethewhales

gotta nuke something
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto
I try to model my play after every kid who never made it out of house league, can barely pass and has no shot, who eventually joins a D level beer league team and causes that one big mistake that makes his team lose every game 11-0.

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
After seeing myself skating in a video I was surprised I skate like Teemu Selänne, though not even nearly as fast :laugh: And I am not much of a scorer, I rather make passes and plays than try to score the goal myself.

RogerRoeper*

I model my play after Sidney Crosby I dive as much as possible to draw a penalty and whine to the refs every moment I can, also I got a concussion and probably won't ever be as good as I once was..Yup exactly Sidney Crosby

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
The New Jersey Devils, no individual is greater than the team. :sarcasm:

I'm a small, right handed shot who plays wing. I don't have quite the same speed, but I always try to put myself in the right position to score goals, and the right position to break up passes or make the defenseman useless when I'm in my own zone. So I guess Brian Gionta. I did earn the nickname "Neil-vechkin" but that was pickup hockey and a very different attitude from regular games. I have practice hands. :laugh:

takumi111

Aug 31, 2008
i try to play like a 6" shorter, 70lbs lighter, left-handed, asian version of Eric Lindros

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Ovechkin. I try to fly around the ice as quick as I can, am constantly moving in an attempt to be open as much as possible and Im not afraid to crash the net if I get an open route to it.

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
As sad as it is, I am a Dustin Penner type.

Big physical guy that can to a certain extent take over a game when they want. Unfortunatly I play a pretty unispired game on most nights. Normally just too many ryes the night before :)

member 30781

I suck. Average size, piss poor stickhandling, hands of stone, pretty good passing and playmaking, acceleration/speed is down the toilet. So I guess I am sorta like Anthony Stewart? :p

If only I was black, I'd have a spot on the Carolina Hurricanes :D

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
i try to play like a 6" shorter, 70lbs lighter, left-handed, asian version of Eric Lindros

I like it! Just keep that head up.

Good: Tall, good skater, straight ahead speed, long strides, nasty wrist shot

Bad: Hands of stone, get knocked of the puck too easy in traffic, not the greatest play maker

Flyers fan so maybe a Carter or JVR, but obviously with 10% of their skill:)

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
As an OFD, I like to use my speed to rush the puck or send long stretch passes through the zone. I also tend to join the rush and play down low if I can in the offensive zone. In my own end, I body up more than people may like and have no problem clearing the crease.

As a forward, I tend to be more defensive responsible and look for a chance to counter with speed on a takeaway.

So whoever those are.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I haven't played in about 8 years now (too many concussions). But I always tried to play like a small man's version of Esa Tikkanen when I played. I was constantly in other players ears, or in front of the goalie. If there was a scrum after the whistle, there was a good chance that I caused it. I'd say about 80% of my goals were garbage goals in front of the net, and a majority of the other 20% were from cheating in my own zone and stealing d to d passes. My body size however made this style kinda detrimental to my health, by the time I was 18 I had 4 concussions, separated my left shoulder twice and my collarbone once.

rwr

Nov 4, 2009
well id LIKE to be able to play like a player whos got some hands, but mostly Zack Stortini ... minus NOT throwing punches in fights.....

Rebels21

Jul 6, 2011
Garrison, New York
Try to play like Shea Weber but dont. maybe a Girardi like player. im defensively responsible and block a lot of shots but maybe a little more offensively gifted compared to my defensive ability then Girardi.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I try to be like Claude Giroux but without the dangles. Amazing passer and I have great vision. I don't have dangles, speed or anything like that. I have a decent shot though, kinda like he does. He doesn't have the best shot but its pretty good. I might play defense this season and ill probably try to play like Kimmo Timonen or Ryan Suter. Not sure which.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I try to model my game after Ales Hemsky. Quick, some decent hands, don't shoot a lot.

Sharpshooter101

Jul 22, 2011
Planet Earth
I'm somewhat marked by some idea that ran through the superstars of most sports... it may sound crazy, but what I try to bring to my game is some ingeniousness, some creativity. I think hockey, offensively, is really about forcing your opponents to adjust their position enough so that they end up being late on the play, so I may approach the kind of hockey Soviet players used to show in that sense. And, the kind of solution I try to bring are always meant to keep myself ahead of the play, just a few inches... that's the space I need to make a pass or take a shot - or anyone needs for that sake - and it does affect your play making abilities when you realize that. It does work extremely well when I'm there against mere mortals, but if you step up the game with Juniors, former National players or AAA's... well, it doesn't hold up. :laugh: But, hey! It's still a fun game.

To be more specific about your question, it's curious, but I love how those Russian play the game - I always admired stick handling, though I used to have rock hard, concrete hands! One day, I decided I had enough to look silly and started practicing it. Datsyuk, Semin - he's actually my favorite player now :tvhappy: - Kovalev... about every great stick handlers. It dazzles me how they can move around and create space, so I practice and try to do the same when I can.

On the shooting side and tendencies during one on one, I prefer to shoot than to move around, but if the goaltender gets forward, I'll do something else. The move I execute the best is a forehand deke and backhand top corner - that's a slow amateur version of what Kovy does almost all the time. If not, I can pull off some variations of the Michigan move (For the show only. Do not try at home, I'm an amateur... LOL) or flip the puck over a too far venturing goaltender.

So, trying to be creative, create space, open the plays and make the passes. I could speak about defense, but that part is more standardized.

LA Kings Hockey

May 22, 2011
LA
i like to play kind of like ryan kesler. a forward that has decent speed, good puck handling, phyisicality, defensive awareness, but can get in the rush and score some goals or get assists

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
As an OFD, I like to use my speed to rush the puck or send long stretch passes through the zone. I also tend to join the rush and play down low if I can in the offensive zone. In my own end, I body up more than people may like and have no problem clearing the crease.

As a forward, I tend to be more defensive responsible and look for a chance to counter with speed on a takeaway.

So whoever those are.

Actually, if someone can help me with this, I would like the input. I've been playing a lot more on D and have been utilized as an OFD puck-mover, physical presence, jumping into the rush with speed if not leading, and ripping a slapshot on net.

Granted, this is beer league, I would still like an idea of who I should watched with this skill set. I'm a Sharks' fan so I have seen a lot of Boyle, and some of Campbell/Blake, but I'm excited to watch some Burns.

This will also be my first season of getting Center Ice/ Gamecenter, so other players to watch would also be nice.

MooseMcD

Jul 26, 2011
As a forward, which I rarely play anymore, I always thought I played a lot like Ryan Callahan, but then he went and had a much better offensive year last season than he usually does, so maybe Callahan with less offense.

On defense, which is what I play 95% of the time now, I'm not really sure who I play like. I'm a Rangers fan and the best comparison from our D is McDonagh.

Dishtank

Apr 5, 2010
a homeless mans Ovechkin i think. I'm always moving and I throw some decent hits. Talk a lot but my shot isn't close to as good as his. I score more than assists but Am a decent passer. Sometimes flashy if the game doesnt count. loud and talk trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad