Who do you try to play like?

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
Who do you base your game on? Can anyone think of a speedy, scoring, physical, big, agitator that can still lead? I'm defensivly responsible, have a pretty sick shot, good at rushing the puck, fast, physical, usually rack off double the assists I have goals.

Last edited:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I never thought of it, and it surprises me to say it, but I probably play like PK Subban. I try to play defense, but I just can't do it the white way :sarcasm:

I was going to say Mike Green, but my offense isn't AS potent compared and my defense isn't as far behind my offense. Obviously, I'm not truly comparing myself to Green as he'd crush me in every aspect, just trying to put it in perspective. I rush the puck, join the rush, sneak in from the point to find open ice for a quick shot, walk the puck in from the point when there's a lane and sometimes pinch down to the corners and try to setup like a playmaker. I also play pretty good defensively. I try to style my game off Dan Girardi, in my own end, but I much more offensive minded than he is and it's a good thing I have the speed to get back or I'd be caught a lot more often. Luckily, I have a pretty good sense of when to join the rush or pinch and very good anticipation leaving the offensive zone ahead of the play to make sure I'm back. I play fairly physical, but don't go out of my way to make big hits too often. I have very good stick work, block shots all day. I have really good speed/change of direction quickness and do really well in my own end.

Honestly, I don't really style myself after anyone, aside from trying to be a warrior like Girardi on defense. I only made those comparisons after thinking about the topic. I usually just play. I'm a pretty offensively active d-man. That's all.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I dont really try to play like him but I think I play a lot like Johan Franzen. Big, good hands and a good shot.

Mosetter27

I try to play like Briere ... but due to my skill level not being all there.. i play more like carcillo... i have decent hands but look very awkward when going for the deak and when i do score goals they are pretty sweet... i tend to run my mouth and take penalties alot too.. so yeah def a carcillo type

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Jan Hrdina

Solid in the circle, defensively responsible, and an underrated shot that I don't use nearly enough.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
On D I like to play like Adam Foote. Obviously in non-checking leagues I can't destroy guys into the boards like he did, but I push the physicality as far as I can without being a ****** and/or putting others in danger. Worry mostly about D, concentrate on solid positioning, clearing the net, trying to block most shots that come my way, and throw the odd puck on net now and then. Usually let my D partner concentrate on offense and jump up into the play or pinch in the O zone while I drop back to cover a potential odd-man rush.

As much as I hate to compare myself to a rival's player, when I play forward I play a lot like Tomas Holmstrom. I love screening the goalie, battling in front of the net, and redirecting shots while I'm in the area. Basically, I love to annoy the hell out of the goalie and the defender trying to clear me out. Gotten fairly good at it too, gotten teammates quite a few points by having the full attention of the defender and the goaler. Sadly, I get no points for that, but I really don't care much about points if going without means a win for the team.

Sean87

Mar 29, 2011
Paul Kariya when I was a kid. I'm just starting to play again but I like to watch Crosby now for playing ideas.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I just try to play solid hockey. As a winger that means scoring goals, making plays, making myself available on breakouts, covering the point men on d, forechecking hard, backchecking hard, etc. I don't try to play any particular style.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Not sure that i really go into it wanting to play like a certain player...

i'm 6'5'' 210 lbs, some would call me a power forward, i guess. i love to drive the net from the wing and plant myself out front for deflections. I've been told i play a Ryan Getzlaf-esque game, though i don't really try to emmulate him.

I guess you could say I try to model my game after Eric Staal. maybe a little Lecavalier. I don't have a great shot though. I like setting up for one-timers, but i mainly rely on stick handling and puck protection and playing a strong 2-way game.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The two players that i've modeled my game after are Forsberg and Datsyuk.

Forsberg's puck possession and playmaking ability has always been something that i've attempted to emulate. I just loved his ability to make a sequence look like it was happening in slow-motion. Watching him made me work on my puck protection and patience with the puck.

Like Forsberg, Datsyuk's playmaking and creativity is something that i try to bring to my game. Like pretty much everyone else in this world though, my hands could only dream of doing many of the things that Datsyuk's routinely pulls. With that being said, my stickhandling and skill level is decent enough to allow for some patience and creativity.

In addition, i really pride myself on my defensive work. I really owe this part of my game from watching Datsyuk evolve. Seeing him go from a below average defensive forward to one of the best in the world was very encouraging. Now there are times where i can pride myself on a hard backcheck and takeaway more so than setting up a nice goal.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Ulf Samuelsson. Everybody not on my team hates me. But my team mates respect what I do....sort of. My goalie appreciates it though.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've had my teammates call me Daniel Paille, Darren Helm, etc.

I'm not very skilled but I skate my ass off to make up for it. I will chip in a few points but my team appreciates me more for my energy and aggressive forechecking or backchecking. I've actually had people tell me that when I go into a corner, they won't leave the front of the net because they know I'll eventually win the battle for the puck.

oileral

Sep 10, 2005
Edmonton
as a youngster playing rep hockey, I was fast and liked to make plays and score goals, kind of tried to emulate Paul Kariya.

now as an older overweight beer league player, just pick any player that likes to float around, plays a perimeter game, but scores goals, and being defensively irresponsible. LOL...

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm small, quick, like to take the body, and like to agitate...I'd say maybe Brad Marchand, but more of a playmaker and less of a goal scorer.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I'm a smaller, skilled guy kind of like Daniel Briere...I hang around the net a lot and get a good amount of rebound goals but I also have the skill to make some really nice plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad