Who do you think will win the Vezina?

Who will win the Vezina?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the vote was held today its still Vasi. But, he has come back to the pack after a rough January. Also coming up on his career high in games played.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think if it was held today, Vas would win.

I think if they had analytics people deciding it today and instead of looking at Wins/GAA/Sv% they looked at stats that tell the full story, it would be very close between Andersen, Gibson, Rinne, Hutton, and Bobrovsky.

Flame away.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I think if it was held today, Vas would win.

I think if they had analytics people deciding it today and instead of looking at Wins/GAA/Sv% they looked at stats that tell the full story, it would be very close between Andersen, Gibson, Rinne, Hutton, and Bobrovsky.

Flame away.

Please explain

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Please explain

I find that a stat like GSAA is the best at talking about which goalie had the best overall season for a few reasons:

1. It's a counting stat, meaning you either need to be consistently exceptional (Like Hutton), or you need to be above average over a long period of time (Andersen, Gibson, Rinne).

2. It takes into account expected sv% and actual sv% (dSv%) which takes into account the low/medium/high danger chances a goalie faces and averages it over what the rest of the league is doing. By doing this it makes it show you that when a team is artificially lifting a goalies basic stats (sv% and gaa) it's actually more of a product of the team, and not the goalie being exceptional. For example, Dubnyk has been a 15-20 ranked goalie for years, but his team has been so good at suppressing HD chances, he has looked much better. This season we can say that goalie is Tuuka Rask (sorry) because the team in front of him this season has made it exceptionally easy to be a goalie in that net.

Basically I don't like the idea of Sv%, Wins, and GAA being the main reason a goalie wins the Vezina. It's obviously not perfect yet, but I do feel like dSV% and GSAA are much better at talking about WHY a goalie is good, where as I believe Wins/GAA is more team driven, and sv% doesn't tell the full story.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It's pretty clear who the top 3 will be based on numbers (so far) (the 5-6 most important stats for goalie) the eye test and "being fair to both conferences" and such.

But in saying this anything can change with so much of the season left.

1.AVasilevsky
1.BRask

2) Hellebuyck.

Those should be the three.

*IF The Leafs or Jackets have a strong second half and their goalies are the reason why (AND Connor H. slows down and the Jets finish some-where in the middle then that goalie will join Rask or Vasilevsky who are to me in a spot they can't be moved in any way right now.)

Rask hasn't lost since November 26th ....lol...

Can't count out for that third spot someone like Pekka RInne, John Gibson, Maybe Mike Smith...

THIS IS A WILDCARD here but lets say the Blues get 20 more wins and they ride Hutton and he has some kind of Hamburglar type run maybe he's in the conversation, I also think Ben Bishop should be in this poll.

Not that he should be here but where has Braden Holtby gone?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
andersen would be #5 in voting most likely so it isn't really a stretch

He may be because of the Maple Leaf bump but there is absolutely zero reason for him to be ranked that high.

Gibson, Quick, Smith, Bobrovsky all guys with better numbers.

Guys like Fleury, Hutton with much better numbers although a lot less games so I could see an argument either way with them.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He may be because of the Maple Leaf bump but there is absolutely zero reason for him to be ranked that high.

Gibson, Quick, Smith, Bobrovsky all guys with better numbers.

Guys like Fleury, Hutton with much better numbers although a lot less games so I could see an argument either way with them.
andersen's also faced the most shots and has the most saves in the league so that might play a factor as well

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
because this means he's been a workhorse this season

Sure but having the most saves and the most shots isn't really that odd. I would be more impressed if it was the most saves and middle of the pack for shots.

I am not sure he has been so much more of a "workhorse" than others that is should matter. I will always take a quality goalie over a workhorse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad