Who do you think the Wings will get with their first pick?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a feeling we'll take one of the swedes. Voted Pettersson, which would be something I'd be very fine with. I'm not sold on Liljegren by a long shot.

I'd honestly be very happy with either of those guys.

This is a tough one. The pessimist in me says they trade back and draft Necas or some North American kid nobody's ever heard of. I'm sure Holland will say something like: we had all of those kids on a similar level, so we traded back knowing we'd get one.

I really, really, really, really doubt it. But I could see the Wings liking someone like Poehling or Bowers.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
Pettersson, would love Hischier but don't think Wings will even get a top 5. Also, if Kenny trades someone like Vanek for a 1st, Cal Foote could be another great addition

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Tippett, just because I expect we'll take a W. Mittlestadt would be my second guess.

After we trade down to let someone else take Liljegren, that is.[/pessimism]

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
After watching the Lions do this every year, I'm convinced the Wings are going to win a bunch of games in the final month and end up picking like twelfth. That schedule over the last month is really easy. Probably just the cynic in me, and obv I hope I'm wrong.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Let's see if we have any psychics on here. My money is on Mittelstadt, just have a feeling.

I think the Wings outthink themselves sometimes and this is exactly the guy they would do it on. Another guy I could see them taking in the top 3 that many wouldnt would be Rasmussen.. A player who could move up as we get closer

I believe they have to take a C in the top 10 unless a D is a cant miss. I dont see one in this draft.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
When was the last time the Wings had a first round pick in the AHL for five or more years?

Tom McCollum. But that's because he is garbage.
Smith spent 2.5 season in AHL
Kindl spent 3 seasons and parts of others in the AHL. Again, he wasn't good.
Yan Golubovsky spent 4 seasons in the AHL. But again, he was garbage.

I stopped at the 1988 draft because most users on this site weren't even born then.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My guess is what I think the organization will do and my guess is they'll go with Vilardi. He ticks off most of the boxes for what the Wings like: could be a center, big body, good work ethic, etc. He just seems like a very safe pick and the Wings have shown in recent drafts that they like the safe picks. Vilardi and Mantha could make up a nice line that would be able to withstand the rigors of a tight checking league.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I voted other: Lias Andersson

A decent, not great 2-way forward. He's an overage and isn't big; he's average size at 6-foot.

But he looks like he could become a solid two-way top 6er that any coach will love to have. He should go top 10 and is a safe pick.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Nolan and nico will probably be gone so I went Timmy. I think we end up with him or gabe

Suavecito

Oct 8, 2016
Milwaukee
Knowing Holland he'll either trade it for three 2nd round picks, or pick some kid that was projected to go 28 to 34 in the draft.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I like how we're positioned in this draft. Bad enough that we have a shot at the #1 if we get lucky in the lottery, but even if we're unlucky we could be picking around where Liljegren or someone of his level is anyway. Gonna have an exciting young player next season to follow. Will almost undoubtedly be our best prospect in a long time.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Knowing Holland he'll either trade it for three 2nd round picks, or pick some kid that was projected to go 28 to 34 in the draft.

When has he ever done that? Ever?

He does that when he's picking 25th or later and by that point in most drafts there isn't much difference between that and the guy taken 35th.

Since 2002, the Wings traded a first for 2 seconds or a second and a third in 2011 (picking 24th, forgoing Matt Puempel), 2009 (picking 29th, forgoing Carter Ashton), 2006 (forgoing Chris Summers, a Michigan boy, picking 29th), 2002 (picking 30th, forgoing Jim Slater).

Holland has NEVER traded a pick for multiple later picks unless he was at the absolute tail end of the first round and frankly, you might be better off with two bites at the apple at that point instead of the one late 1st.

When has he ever traded a top ten pick to move back into the second round? The answer is never.

When has he truly reached on a guy with a higher pick? Kindl was supposed to be a damn good player when he was taken 19th. Brendan Smith was a Hobey Baker finalist when he was taken in the first round. Sheahan was a solid defensive center and as recently as two years ago had a 36 point year... in Detroit, no less.

Stop talking out of your ass. Holland messes up enough and has enough actual warts on his resume that you don't have to resort to making them up.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I really want Liljegren. It was a pipe dream at first, but we could legitimately get him. The fact that he is dropping in some rankings is great, and increases our chances at getting him. Hopefully he's available when we pick, and if he is it seems like a no brainer.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I voted other: Lias Andersson

A decent, not great 2-way forward. He's an overage and isn't big; he's average size at 6-foot.

But he looks like he could become a solid two-way top 6er that any coach will love to have. He should go top 10 and is a safe pick.

Do you think he would be better than Riley Sheahan though...? ;)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on scoring, or defensive side of the puck? He could be better, he could be worse. Who knows.

He very well could become the 3rd line center that bumps Sheahan to the 2nd line. Who knows.
If Riley Sheahan is the regular 2C, this team will have plenty of top-10 picks.

Oct 18, 2006
Based on scoring, or defensive side of the puck? He could be better, he could be worse. Who knows.

He very well could become the 3rd line center that bumps Sheahan to the 2nd line. Who knows.
Nothing in what you're saying makes he even remotely interested in the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad