Who do you think the Wings will get with their first pick?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I honestly think Liljegren will work out. I think we get 4OA and the three centers will go 1-3 leaving us with the best D in the draft and a staple on our first line.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hischier. There will be much dancing on lottery night, and again on June 23, 2017. :yo:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Pettersson is my call. I don't think the Wings will be deterred by the fact that he needs several years to develop physically.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I've always been an optimist:sarcasm:, so I went with Liljegren.

Really hope the Wings get a defenseman for two reasons. Longer time to reach their peak and their peaks tend to last longer than forwards. Also that probably means a lower bridge deal cap hit, so that gives the Wings more cap flexibility to improve the roster when they have their center situation taken care of.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I have a feeling we'll take one of the swedes. Voted Pettersson, which would be something I'd be very fine with. I'm not sold on Liljegren by a long shot.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Liljegren, I just don't think we'll get top 2. The more I see him the more I want Hisch though, would definitely be ecstatic at 2.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know what it is... and it's not backed up by anything, but I don't want Hischier. I know he's a fantastic prospect and he's doing amazing things right now.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Nolan Patrick or bust.

After missing the playoffs for the first time in 25 years, wings win the lottery and Hfboards implodes.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
unless we move up in the lottery, we're unlikely to be picking before 4th, and possibly as far back as 10th or so. pretty hard to guess then, but playing the percentages, liljegren is probably gone.......meh, let's say vilardi.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Necas

reasoning: I think the Wings end up with around the 10th pick and are left essentially picking between him and Wingers(with a couple defensemen after Liljegren going a few spots early due to the lack of defensemen towards the top of the draft)

I suppose there will also be like a 10-20% chance of the lottery giving the Wings a top 3 pick though so there's that

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know what it is... and it's not backed up by anything, but I don't want Hischier. I know he's a fantastic prospect and he's doing amazing things right now.
Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side... Search your feelings...You know it to be true. :darth:;):laugh:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is a tough one. The pessimist in me says they trade back and draft Necas or some North American kid nobody's ever heard of. I'm sure Holland will say something like: we had all of those kids on a similar level, so we traded back knowing we'd get one.

But if the Wings keep their first and it's in the mid single digits, I think Vilardi and Liljegren could still be on the board. I think there's absolutely no chance they'll get Patrick or Hischier anywhere other than 1 and 2. Liljegren is a stretch at the 4-5 slot, but I think Vilardi could be around until 6 or so.

Another way to read it: if the Wings draft later than 6th, I don't think they're getting an elite player.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Necas

reasoning: I think the Wings end up with around the 10th pick and are left essentially picking between him and Wingers(with a couple defensemen after Liljegren going a few spots early due to the lack of defensemen towards the top of the draft)

I suppose there will also be like a 10-20% chance of the lottery giving the Wings a top 3 pick though so there's that

yeah, i agree with your logic, though i'd like to think that 10th will be on the lower end of our draft position possibilities.

Another way to read it: if the Wings draft later than 6th, I don't think they're getting an elite player.

well, who knows when it comes to "elite"? obviously i know what you mean and i'm inclined to agree, but a guy like necas could be a superstar. on the other hand, he might be a bit if a bust.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hoping for Liljegren I like what I hear about him and would like a chance at someone elite on the back end to start the rebuild.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I'm hopeful that the Wings win the draft lotto, in which case I would want to see either of two scenarios: either the Wings stand pat and draft Hischier, who I think is the superior player development-wise between Patrick and Hischier, or they try to move down a couple picks while simultaneously leveraging a few picks from the trade deadline to try and draft someone in the top 3 as well as Nicholas Hague, whom I believe will have a very bright future as a defenseman if given the time to develop properly.

I couldn't legitimize drafting Liljegren if we had either the 1st or 2nd pick, as none of the defensive prospects this year seems to be that much of a difference maker right out of the gate, but if we moved down a couple picks for multiple picks in the 1st round, I would love to try for both Liljegren and Hague, try to answer the defensive shortcomings by drafting quality defensemen.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think it will be Tippett because that would make for the most groans of the reasonably predictable outcomes. That was my thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad