Speculation: Who do you think the Sabres pick with the 2nd overall?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Where does the everyone come from? I saw two or three express this opinion. I guess that is everyone

This:

WGR interviewed some reporter from Edmonton. That reporter stated that the only way Edmonton would give up the 3rd overall pick would be if Eckblad and Draisaitl went 1-2. That lead to speculation or at least a conversation about how high Draisaitl had risen in recent weeks and questioned whether he had surpassed the 2 Sams.

No one ever said Murray wants Draisaitl. They were curious though, that on Edmonton's board he had risen to as high as 3rd overall. They wondered where Murray had him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I have a feeling Florida trades down to 4th Overall with Calgary, and Calgary takes Reinhart, and Buffalo will take Ekblad, then Murray will try and get back in the 1st round again, and go after Barbashev.

Regardless who we pick, we're getting a player that we are lacking. I can't wait.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Murray takes Bennett.

He likes Canadian kids from the OHL.

If they do pick Bennett, I think the clincher is all the talk about his passion and intensity (to go along with his elite skill, as well). Of the top-4, he seems to me to be the "most Buffalo" if that makes sense. Given that at least Devine thinks the top-4 are all relatively close, that put-your-team-on-your-back ability that Devine referenced is what I think will put Bennett over the top.

But, again, I'd be happy to be wrong and watch them take Reinhart. But I haven't been able to shake the feeling for some time that Bennett is the pick.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If we draft him I will buy the first Reinhart #23 Sabres Jersey; he sports my favorite number due to favourite player Micheal Jordan.. I hope he becomes our Jordan of hockey.

Karate Johnson*

Someone is going to jump us and take him.

What would Florida take to swap picks?

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
It sounds like Vancouver will do what ever it takes to get that #1 pick from Florida. If that happens Reinhart will be the choice to replace Kesler. Do we then take Ekblad? Do we offer a big package to Florida for #1 (not a package that swaps 1 and 2). it would have to be huge, like Myers, Armia, and Stewart. We then take Ekblad and Bennett?

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
If we draft him I will buy the first Reinhart #23 Sabres Jersey; he sports my favorite number due to favourite player Micheal Jordan.. I hope he becomes our Jordan of hockey.

They will sell out before you can get it...then you'll have to wear the jersey of the last player to wear #23.:sarcasm:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Someone is going to jump us and take him.

What would Florida take to swap picks?

Buffalo and Calgary should gang up together and make a package for Florida to drop to 4th(ie Buffalo picks 1st, Calgary 2nd(Ekblad) and Florida 4th)

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
It sounds like Vancouver will do what ever it takes to get that #1 pick from Florida. If that happens Reinhart will be the choice to replace Kesler. Do we then take Ekblad? Do we offer a big package to Florida for #1 (not a package that swaps 1 and 2). it would have to be huge, like Myers, Armia, and Stewart. We then take Ekblad and Bennett?

If you know Reinhart would be Vancouver's choice, why would we go crazy to jump to #1 just to take someone else. I am not following your logic.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
If vancouver or someone else jumps to 1 and takes Reinhart, we should take Bennett. Our forward prospects aren't as deep or highly talented as our defense. Keep in mind we still have Risto and Zadorov - 2 blue chip guys who could be top 2-3 d-men very soon. On top of that we have Myers, Ehrhoff, and also 2 young d-men in pysyk and mccabe. Pysyk obviously being more ready for the NHL and continuing to grow - love his game. McCabe is a bit away but he'll be sick soon if he develops well in the AHL.

On offense, we have Grigorenko and Armia in the AHL...both need this season to develop and hopefully develop really well b/c they've shown flashes of "WOW" moments. In the NHL we have Girgs, Hodgson, Ennis, etc...all young guys, but adding Bennett just adds to it.

If we take Ekblad, I don't really see it as a step forward for bolstering our needs. We need talented high end offense, and we need it badly! Then again, I do believe TM will take Ekblad if reinhart is taken first. Obviously I'm not a gm, so in TM i trust :)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We need one of the Sams. No Draisaitl. We need a name that won't take the Sabres media/staff 4 years to be able to pronounce.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
We may need one of the sams, but if other teams make deals to choose first and take someone other than ekblad, I think Murray takes ekblad for being BPA. He may trade him later for a young, proven NHL'er. That's the impression I got from that press conference.

ZeroPT*

We need one of the Sams. No Draisaitl. We need a name that won't take the Sabres media/staff 4 years to be able to pronounce.

Zemgus Girgensons
Mikhail Grigorenko
Rasumus Ristolainen
Nikita Zadorov
Mark Pysyk

Too late for that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad