Speculation: Who do you think the Sabres pick with the 2nd overall?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I know we've had quite a few polls about who we want the Sabres to pick. But since the draft is next Friday I thought we would have a poll on who you think the Sabres scouts/management is going to pick. This is a good poll because as a Reinhart fanboy, I don't expect the Sabres to pick him. I think they are going to pick Bennett. What does everyone else think? Of course this poll will assume Ekblad goes 1st overall.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think someone jumps us and takes Reinhart..... we take Bennett and Ekblad goes to the Oil

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Who do I want? Reinhart.

Who do I think the Sabres will select? Bennett.

Thus, I chose Bennett in this poll. I'll be fine with either, frankly.

Stokes, do you truly believe that Leon is going to be the pick? Or are you just going to the wall on this?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Who do I want? Sam Bennett. But honestly I would prefer Draisaitl and Ekblad over Reinhart. Not that I dislike him or anything. Just not my preference, it's been this way for awhile for me. If we do draft Reinhart I will still be excited for him, they are all very good prospects.

EDIT: read the title as who would I pick..I am pretty sure the Sabres are going to take Sam Reinhart

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Who do I want? Reinhart.

Stokes, do you truly believe that Leon is going to be the pick? Or are you just going to the wall on this?

It's 60/40 for LD over Reinhart. I'd be very surprised by Bennett.

Of course I'd like to be proven right, but honestly I like LD/SR equally. Ekblad a little less because of position. I think there is a slight drop to Bennett,JMO.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I want Bennett. I think Murray will only go Draisaitl if Reinhart goes first.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive seen Reinhart play many times over past few years... his vision and skill is absolutely sick... you guys are extremely lucky if hes available at 2

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I wanted Reinhart, moved to Bennett, and I'm back to Reinhart now. I have a sneaking suspicion that Murray doesn't like convention, though, so I wouldn't be at all shocked if he goes Bennett or even Draisatl. In Murray We Trust. (I hope.)

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Who do I want? Reinhart.

I am with you. I just think Bennett is going to be the pick for some reason. He has the highest offensive potential.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
This is such a tough question. I probably could have spent more time analyzing Murray and Devine's responses to questions on the different players.

I want to say Ekblad is out. Partially because of Murray's comments, partially because of team need and partially because I think GMs are realizing forwards are the safer bet this early in the draft.

As for the Sabres top choice of the forwards, I initially thought Bennett based on Murray's comments. Devine's comments had me thinking Reinhart. There is a lot of momentum now towards Draisaitl.

I have been on the Bennett bandwagon for some time and think he is still my first choice. If Draisaitl is the choice I will be very excited by what I've been reading. Reinhart is good, and can be great. I just don't like realying on someone's instincts, especially at this point in the draft.

Glad we will have one of the four. Gun to my head, I think Bennett is the Murray choice followed by Draisaistl if Bennett goes No.1.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Why does everyone think Murray wants Draistail now? That WGR article didn't report that Murray was interested in Draisaitl, the author of the article speculated that Draistail might be their target without any actual statement or even an inference from Sabres personnel. It was pure speculation.

Anyhow, I voted Reinhart. Would be ok with Bennett. Not as OK with Draistail, would prefer Ekblad before Draistail for sure, maybe Bennett too.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why does everyone think Murray wants Draistail now? That WGR article didn't report that Murray was interested in Draisaitl, the author of the article speculated that Draistail might be their target without any actual statement or even an inference from Sabres personnel. It was pure speculation.

Anyhow, I voted Reinhart. Would be ok with Bennett. Not as OK with Draistail, would prefer Ekblad before Draistail for sure, maybe Bennett too.

I'm confused by this, as well. I just listened to the Devine interviews again, starting with the one following the WJC. I just don't get the sense he's very high on Leon. He made the comment in his most recent interview about Leon being a great player in the offensive zone. Meanwhile, he waxed poetic about Reinhart (best playmaker/vision in the last 10-15 years) and talked about Bennett's intensity and competitiveness making him stand out from that group. (And in the post-WJC interview, I think he was ready to have Ekblad's children.)

I have no doubt they like Leon. They should, he's going to be a really good player. But I don't think he is, or ever has been, their guy. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Honestly thought, go back and find me where he Devine even mentioned Ristolainen last year, he talked up guys like Nurse, Nichushkin and others while leaving out Ristolainen or saying very little of him. I don't think Draisaitl is going to be the guy, but I don't read much into what these guys say on the radio. I don't know how you can.

After the draft we will get the #1 player on our board, regardless if its true or not. What they say to the media may not be what is actually happening, I would be surprised if they were not still discussing who to take at #2 even though they have a consensus.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

In addition to WGR learning how to pronounce Draisaitl today - they interviewed some reporter from Edmonton. That reporter stated that the only way Edmonton would give up the 3rd overall pick would be if Eckblad and Draisaitl went 1-2. That lead to speculation or at least a conversation about how high Draisaitl had risen in recent weeks and questioned whether he had surpassed the 2 Sams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad