Speculation: Who do you think the habs will PTO?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just to confirm since his name was discussed in this thread, James Neal is off to St. Louis on a PTO. Also, former Hab Frolik is heading there on a PTO.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Probably no one.

Believe these are the ufa players who played at least one NHL game left available (although pto players can be signed by anyone):

Travis Zajac
Alex Chiasson
Bobby Ryan
Alex Galchenyuk
Eric Staal
Zdeno Chara
Patrick Marleau
Tyler Ennis
Franz Nielsen
Sami Vatanen
Ben Hutton
Jason Demers
Michael Dal Colle
Max McCormick
Braydon Coburn
Tuukka Rask
Artem Zaigidulin
Brandon Pirri
Curtis McElhinney
Devan Dubnyk
Luca Sbisa
Michael Haley

Zajac is the name that stands out for me, someone should sign him.

Last edited:

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Wouldn't mind seeing Travis Zajac.

I wanted Bozak, but he signed to stay in St. Louis.

But like Bozak, Zajac is a veteran center that will help shore up your center position, adding some experience. He had 20 pts in 46 GP last year, so he can get you some points.

And one of the things I really look at (as I did with Bozak), Zajac has been over 50% his entire career in the face-off circle.

So with Dvorak, who is great on face-offs, and Evans who has been over 50% his two NHL seasons so far, having another center who can win most of his draws would help a lot. Habs can count on three centers who will help them start with the puck more often than not. Only Suzuki would be the one who has struggled in face-offs (and maybe he has improved that aspect).

And this is a PTO thread, but I wouldn't mind them signing him to a 1-year deal if it's something Zajac is interested in.

I say the Habs should give Poehling a great chance to be a solid contributor to the team.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If we can grab Zajac out of the pile, we would have a solid option for 4 C.

Even if he gets time at 3C and Evans at 4C is fine with me.

Zajac has a lot of experience so that can help. He is also able to contribute offensively. He won't light it up as a bottom-6 player, but he still can.

But the main thing for me is the face-offs. Because then Habs would be able to count on 3 centers who are over 50% on the dot and that can help the Habs start with the puck more than not:

- Dvorak has been over 50% his entire career except his rookie year.
- Zajac has been over 50% his entire career.
- Evans has been over 50% the two years he's been in the NHL.

Only Suzuki would be someone who struggles (and maybe he will improve in that aspect).

- Paquette, out of his 8 seasons, has only 3 seasons over 50%.
- Perreault isn't too bad, but he's been a winger in Winnipeg the last few years so he wasn't taking many face-offs. But before that, when he was a center and took a crazy amount of face-offs (between Washington, Anaheim, and Winnipeg), he was over 50% as well. But those were years ago.

I'd still rather have Zajac as insurance. But as some posters have mentioned, he prefers to remain in the tri-state area.

Reactions: Gustave

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I asked L'CH if he hears if Habs intend to sign someone to a PTO ahead of camp that starts in a few days.

He told me he sent out a feeler and since he hadn't heard from them, he thought that they wouldn't.

And now, he just gave an update and said there is nothing in the works as of now:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After my top PTO candidate (Bozak) signed to stay in St. Louis. My second top candidate (Zajac) has just officially retired.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Either of those Dmen considered PMD?

It would be depth signing for RD in case of injuries vs trying to fill a PMD hole.... if we even sign anybody to a PTO. Wideman is the guy they have already signed for RD. Looks like Ducharme said Romanov will play LD. So RD is Petry, Savard, and maybe Kulak/Wideman fight for the last RD spot with the other being depth. The other option is moving Edmundson to RD but then that would split up Edmundson/Petry so not sure they do that.

Weber on LTIR and Byron on IR does not leave much cap room. Maybe Byron is on LTIR as well but that will happen after the season starts. Then we might get a little wiggle room in cap space with Byron's accrued cap space from the start of the season to when he comes back. I think they delay his return as long as they can cause when he comes back, we are over the cap.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad