Speculation: Who do you think the habs will PTO?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wouldn't mind seeing Travis Zajac.

I wanted Bozak, but he signed to stay in St. Louis.

But like Bozak, Zajac is a veteran center that will help shore up your center position, adding some experience. He had 20 pts in 46 GP last year, so he can get you some points.

And one of the things I really look at (as I did with Bozak), Zajac has been over 50% his entire career in the face-off circle.

So with Dvorak, who is great on face-offs, and Evans who has been over 50% his two NHL seasons so far, having another center who can win most of his draws would help a lot. Habs can count on three centers who will help them start with the puck more often than not. Only Suzuki would be the one who has struggled in face-offs (and maybe he has improved that aspect).

And this is a PTO thread, but I wouldn't mind them signing him to a 1-year deal if it's something Zajac is interested in.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What about James Neal?

I know PTOs are really nothing-to-lose deals, but I'm not sure there is room for another winger, even on a PTO.

Sometimes, you sign a guy on a PTO to simply fill up a spot when you split your squad at camp and early in the pre-season, but looking at their wings, they're deep even at camp:

Hoffman, Toffoli, Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Lehkonen, Armia, Drouin, Perreault, Ylonen, RHP, Belzile, Dauphin, Vejdemo (who might be at center), Baddock, Pezzetta, and possibly Poehling if he isn't at center during camp.

They also invited Shawn St-Aman, who is signed to an AHL deal for Laval, so he will take a spot on the wings. They might invite another AHL guy or two, as well.

I'm saying all this and yet, if they bring in Neal on a PTO, I won't be upset.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There are no suitable centers after Bozak has signed. Zajac is done as a top-9 NHL center IMO.

RHD is who we should target. I was hoping for Vatanen, but I guess I would be ok with Demers as well.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

But like Bozak, Zajac is a veteran center that will help shore up your center position, adding some experience. He had 20 pts in 46 GP last year, so he can get you some points.

And one of the things I really look at (as I did with Bozak), Zajac has been over 50% his entire career in the face-off circle.

So with Dvorak, who is great on face-offs, and Evans who has been over 50% his two NHL seasons so far, having another center who can win most of his draws would help a lot. Habs can count on three centers who will help them start with the puck more often than not. Only Suzuki would be the one who has struggled in face-offs (and maybe he has improved that aspect).

And this is a PTO thread, but I wouldn't mind them signing him to a 1-year deal if it's something Zajac is interested in.

Zajac's actually a better all around player than Bozak at this point in their careers and was a nice deadline pick up by the Islanders (Lou). I still think he signs a contract of some sort with a team rather than a PTO. Several teams need center depth. He might be waiting for the right situation.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I think I remember reading that Zajac wasn't interested in leaving the Tri-State area. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a PTO with one of the Bruins, Rangers, Isles, Devils or Pens

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hoping they give Vatanen/Demers a look, would be nice not to go with 2RD/5LD split on roster again.

Frederik Gauthier for C depth/Laval. I'd give Gusev a shot too but no room.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
As mentioned, maybe Demers unless someone gets hurt before camp opens or in the first few days.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Zajac and Demers would be solid options as positions we could use some depth.

Also Ben Hutton could be an option, no harm in bringing him in.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I think Bergevin probably has a list of RD puck moving defense that will likely be put on waivers by their team, and will try to snag one that way. Could be a longer term solution if it works out, as remaining UFA's really don't meet the needs of the team or fit in the desirable age group.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
I think Bergevin probably has a list of RD puck moving defense that will likely be put on waivers by their team, and will try to snag one that way. Could be a longer term solution if it works out, as remaining UFA's really don't meet the needs of the team or fit in the desirable age group.
Hopefully Juulsen ends up on waivers lol

Reactions: Habs13

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Ideally Zajac and Vatanen but I’d be fine with Galchenyuk and Demers as well. Hell I’d give Eric Staal a shot again I think he was injured his entire time with us

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wonder if STL tries to dump Ivan Barbashev’s $2.25M AAV to get Thomas inked and whether that then becomes an option MB pursues?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00