Speculation: Who do you think moves at the draft?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I wish there was a package waiver deal. Where you could waive more than one player as a package and if a team wants to claim one, they've got to take them all.

I bet a Klinkhammer, Schlemko, Chipchura package waive would get claimed.

Haha. That would be the worst waiver pick up package out there. Although I like chipchura. But could you imagine a team being excited about picking up all three of those at one time?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can see a team being happy to have Klinkhammer and Schlemko for free and willing to bury Chipchura in the minors to get them. A team with a decent PK could use Klinkhammer. Especially if they are hard against the cap. He's a damn cheap solution for 10+ goals. Schlemko can log a lot of minutes for very relative dollars. He's a decent puck mover. If your team has an immobile bottom half of the Blueline, he'd be a good add. They just aren't what we need. We've got an extremely mobile defense. And we've got a garbage PK. We don't need a guy like Schlemko and we don't need a guy like Klinhammer (our 4th liners must be decent PKers). But that doesn't mean another team couldn't use them.

I think the Rangers could use them. Winnipeg could. Possibly San Jose(maybe). Pittsburgh wants a new 4th line and with Niskanen gone and Letang who knows how he is, they might be interested. Those are just random examples of teams with good PKs that are shallow on puck movers for the bottom pair. A couple of them match the cap crunch caveat, too.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He was 48 percent the two previous years and is 48% on his career. He also doesn't kill penalties. He has no value.

48% is a very good career percentage.

Nobody is claiming he's worth a first round pick but he could be a reasonably priced 4th line option for many NHL teams.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
48% is a very good career percentage.

Nobody is claiming he's worth a first round pick but he could be a reasonably priced 4th line option for many NHL teams.

And I'd certainly shop him for a 7th before waiving him. I'd certainly waive him before offering to knock 20% off.

TheIslesFan

Apr 2, 2008
NY
What would your board value Keith Yandle to the Islanders at? Would you want a forward or a defenseman coming back besides the 5th overall?

:coyotes

5th Ovr. (Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, etc.)
+ whom?

:isles

Yandle

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What would your board value Keith Yandle to the Islanders at? Would you want a forward or a defenseman coming back besides the 5th overall?

5th Ovr. (Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, etc.)
+ whom?

Yandle

Phoenix needs to have something to sell this to the fanbase, season ticket holders, etc. That means they will need a prominent asset that can play immediately in their top 6 forward group.

Maloney is on record indicating that this asset would need to be in that under 25 age bracket as well.

Regardless it's going to be an asset that "hurts" to give up.

The article yesterday by a Detroit Columnist captured what I thought was a pretty accurate wish list on what the franchise would be looking for.

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: St. James has been running a series of potential targets for the Red Wings. If the Wings were to go after Coyotes Keith Yandle, they would be looking for at least one of Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Anthony Mantha and a high draft pick. The Coyotes could also ask for another player, such as Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm or Jakub Kindl.

That's what the isles would be competing with.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Mantha, Helm, and a first is one hell of an offer to consider. Mantha is an amazing prospect. Helm is like Boedker, tremendous speed and just about to hit his prime, and a first is well...a first, but it's a Detroit first so it is going to be a late one. Definitely something to think about.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Mantha, Helm, and a first is one hell of an offer to consider. Mantha is an amazing prospect. Helm is like Boedker, tremendous speed and just about to hit his prime, and a first is well...a first, but it's a Detroit first so it is going to be a late one. Definitely something to think about.

Detroit picks at 15 which is right in the wheelhouse of where I have several of my favorites for this draft (Larkin, Tuch, Fabbri, Milano, Kempe, McCann). I'm biased bc of this.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Detroit picks at 15 which is right in the wheelhouse of where I have several of my favorites for this draft (Larkin, Tuch, Fabbri, Milano, Kempe, McCann). I'm biased bc of this.

Yeah, I'd like to trade down a few slots either way. There's a huge swath of similar talent, and the Coyotes are picking toward the front of the line. Unless someone like Ehlers or Nylander falls to 12, I'd be in favor of trading back a few spots, picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd, and seeing who's left.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
5th Ovr
[rt's idea of Nielsen and Donovan]

Yandle
I absolutely love Keith Yandle's game, but these are both mighty interesting. Two problems / questions.

1) Doing either of these deals almost completely locks Max Domi and Lucas Lessio off the roster next year. We need to dump Schlemko or Klinkhammer and NYI / DET need to add a 3rd or something.

2) What does this do to ticket sales? I wasn't here when OEL and He Who Must Not Be Named arrived, but what was the hype like? Was there immediate interest / buzz? Are Ehlers and Domi going to sell tickets this year even if they aren't PPG guys yet? Like the value here, but not if losing Yandle is going to result in a half-empty building in February.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If the building is half-empty in February, Yandle's presence or absence won't be much of a reason why. :sarcasm:
True but make no mistake Yandle is a very popular player outside of this message board (i.e. the real world). Trading him away without somewhat of a name coming back would not go over well with normal fans.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
True but make no mistake Yandle is a very popular player outside of this message board (i.e. the real world). Trading him away without somewhat of a name coming back would not go over well with normal fans.

Meh, I don't know... I think the only real untouchable for the "real world" fans is Doan, followed maybe by OEL. Unless there is a Yandle fan club in a different section of the Job than mine... ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Winning is all that matters. I'm sure if Yandle gets traded we will receive someone we know or have heard about.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Meh, I don't know... I think the only real untouchable for the "real world" fans is Doan, followed maybe by OEL. Unless there is a Yandle fan club in a different section of the Job than mine... ;)
I didn't say he was untouchable, that's obviously a much different discussion.

Winning is all that matters. I'm sure if Yandle gets traded we will receive someone we know or have heard about.
Well yeah of course but a trade obviously doesn't guarantee winning.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I absolutely love Keith Yandle's game, but these are both mighty interesting. Two problems / questions.

1) Doing either of these deals almost completely locks Max Domi and Lucas Lessio off the roster next year. We need to dump Schlemko or Klinkhammer and NYI / DET need to add a 3rd or something.

2) What does this do to ticket sales? I wasn't here when OEL and He Who Must Not Be Named arrived, but what was the hype like? Was there immediate interest / buzz? Are Ehlers and Domi going to sell tickets this year even if they aren't PPG guys yet? Like the value here, but not if losing Yandle is going to result in a half-empty building in February.

i believe Mantha plays RW. In theory what you are doing is pairing Ribeiro with two rookies which is a goals against nightmare potentially.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
i believe Mantha plays RW. In theory what you are doing is pairing Ribeiro with two rookies which is a goals against nightmare potentially.
Nobody's trying to guess lines yet, though the idea of Domi + Lessio + Mantha + Szwarz + Murphy + Gormley all in the lineup sure does make for a youthful and un-Tippetlike bunch.
Haha, I loved the view from 208 but the cranky old man in 207 who (apparently) came to games solely to dog-cuss Yandle and Ribeiro was too much ... maybe his fans are elsewhere :sarcasm:
This is what I meant. Names like Ehlers and Del Colle and Drasitl are super-exciting to us, but we clearly aren't an accurate cross-section of Coyote Nation. The value of a return like Helm + Mantha + pick is great, but if it results in more losses (and more losses results in smaller crowds) this season then I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's weird because the goal isn't "Win The Cup In The Next 4 Years" ... it's "Be Competitive and Exciting For Each Of The Next 4 Years." I think I pull the trigger on something like this if I have a 20 year perspective but I balk if I have a 4 year perspective.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
And I'd certainly shop him for a 7th before waiving him. I'd certainly waive him before offering to knock 20% off.

If we can move Korpi and either Chip or Klink for futures, that will free up some serious space to sign someone like Hemsky (likely in the 4-5.5 range). We need less passengers, and more productive players that can actually contribute to puck control, and make some plays. Hemsky would look really nice with Hanz, and possibly Erat on the other wing.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If we can move Korpi and either Chip or Klink for futures, that will free up some serious space to sign someone like Hemsky (likely in the 4-5.5 range). We need less passengers, and more productive players that can actually contribute to puck control, and make some plays. Hemsky would look really nice with Hanz, and possibly Erat on the other wing.
To me that just sounds like a giant pass-fest.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you say "we need fewer passengers" and then immediately follow that up with "let's sign Hemsky!" I have to wonder if you're feeling alright or how much you actually know about the player.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Say what you want about Yandles play but he never takes a night off effort wise

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Say what you want about Yandles play but he never takes a night off effort wise

He "turns it on" so hard some nights that it makes you think that. He's invisible or lackadaisical on other nights. Being enthusiastic about your job isn't a bulletproof vest.

At the end of the day he's really the only playable chip on the table.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Isles 5th overall + ?? for Yandle

Originally Posted by rt View Post
Nielsen. And Donovan.

I'd rather have Strome than Nielson

The Isles aren't going to give up Strome instead of Nielsen (Strome is part of the Tavares workout clique), but I could see Nelson instead of Nielsen. And it would hurt, but the Isles need another top 2 or top 4 D this year. The Isles have an awesome group of defensive prospects, but an experienced defenseman like Yandle would save a year in developing our D. I'm not overly impressed with Donovan but I could be underrating him, as fans of a team are wont to do when a prospect doesn't meet expectations immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad