Speculation: Who do you think moves at the draft?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hanzal and Murphy. I believe (although FWIW don't agree) that Maloney and Tippet view Yandle as untouchable.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Hanzal and Murphy. I believe (although FWIW don't agree) that Maloney and Tippet view Yandle as untouchable.

I don't think they view him as untouchable but would want an over payment for him. If someone wants Yandle from the Coyotes they really got to want him bad.

Yandle is probably the most valuable trade asset the Coyotes have. Fair contract through 2015-16 season. Probably good get a great return that would solve the Vrbata thing and the Ribs wing problem as well. That and I don't think the team would want to foot the bill with other great young D members in the lineup when it is time to resign Yandle.

Pros
Good return..maintain a good defense while balancing out the forward positions...could free up some money.

Cons
Moving the coveted puck moving defenseman to another team..(hopefully out east)

Last edited:

indczn

May 28, 2008
How do the coyotes deal with OEL/Yandle/Gormley ice time and pairings which is a near future problem?
Our pairings are currently (as of last year) screwed up because we have 2 guys who play big minutes and they play on the same side, yet don't really have anyone on the right that's capable of the same minutes. Playing special teams minutes plays havoc with the pairings/minutes during the games, but they aren't Pronger/Niedermeyer who played 30 minutes each.Trading Yandle makes the most sense because hes not OEL, and has more value than Gormley thus getting the better player up front, while at the same time making the defensive pairs more manageable.
That said, only trade Yandle if that good 1st line player is the return.

Last edited:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I don't think we'll make any ballsy moves at the draft. In fact, I think we won't hear a peep about the Coyotes (besides the inevitable talk of the team's name change dribble) and when I'm primed and ready to take Fabbri, Milano, Ehlers etc. at number 12, we're going to trade it for a late first round pick and a mid round 2nd.

I've been a Coyotes fan too long. Let me remind everyone that our last arguable "blockbuster deal" was for Olli Jokinen...SIX years ago. We will never be the talk of the hockey world unless this team is at the threat of relocation again.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We trade down a few spots in the 1st, pick up an additional 2nd/3rd, and break our Russian aversion by drafting Barbashev. :sarcasm:

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I don't think we'll make any ballsy moves at the draft. In fact, I think we won't hear a peep about the Coyotes (besides the inevitable talk of the team's name change dribble) and when I'm primed and ready to take Fabbri, Milano, Ehlers etc. at number 12, we're going to trade it for a late first round pick and a mid round 2nd.

I've been a Coyotes fan too long. Let me remind everyone that our last arguable "blockbuster deal" was for Olli Jokinen...SIX years ago. We will never be the talk of the hockey world unless this team is at the threat of relocation again.

Ugh I remember when that trade broke. Can't believe it was six damn years ago.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I see minor trades. The 12th pick, Korpikoski, and Schlemko could be in play.

Hopefully Maloney can take advantage of team(s) lowering their cap and getting ready for free agency. RFAs could be in play.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We trade down a few spots in the 1st, pick up an additional 2nd/3rd, and break our Russian aversion by drafting Barbashev. :sarcasm:

I think Washington(13), Dallas(14), and Detroit(15) are the three most likely teams to take Barbashev. If we trade down hoping he will be there, he won't.

I bet if Fabbri is there at twelve, we will get a nice offer from Colubus to move down to their spot. Fabbri and Rychel have FANTASTIC chemistry. We could still get a darn nice player at 16th.

If Kapanen is there at twelve, I'm thinking Philly makes us a nice offer. Sami was a big fan favorite in Philly and the draft is in Philly. This is a relatively low risk way to make a it splash for the home town fans at the draft and drum up some press. We could still get a darn nice player at 17th.

rt

May 13, 2004
I see minor trades. The 12th pick, Korpikoski, and Schlemko could be in play.

Hopefully Maloney can take advantage of team(s) lowering their cap and getting ready for free agency. RFAs could be in play.

Klinkhammer and Schlemko could both have mid-round pick trade value. Korpikoski might be worth a 2nd. All three are useful lower line players who are all reasonably young and each has a nice, affordable cap hit for what they bring. I could see teams being interested.

Maybe move some combination of them for a more expensive guy like Fleischmann or Stafford? Higgins maybe?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think Washington(13), Dallas(14), and Detroit(15) are the three most likely teams to take Barbashev. If we trade down hoping he will be there, he won't.

I bet if Fabbri is there at twelve, we will get a nice offer from Colubus to move down to their spot. Fabbri and Rychel have FANTASTIC chemistry. We could still get a darn nice player at 16th.

If Kapanen is there at twelve, I'm thinking Philly makes us a nice offer. Sami was a big fan favorite in Philly and the draft is in Philly. This is a relatively low risk way to make a it splash for the home town fans at the draft and drum up some press. We could still get a darn nice player at 17th.

Could happen, but I can see Washington picking Fleury at 13 and Dallas going Fabbri at 14. At least that's what happened the two times I traded down to 15 in my mocks, haha.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Klinkhammer and Schlemko could both have mid-round pick trade value. Korpikoski might be worth a 2nd. All three are useful lower line players who are all reasonably young and each has a nice, affordable cap hit for what they bring. I could see teams being interested.

Maybe move some combination of them for a more expensive guy like Fleischmann or Stafford? Higgins maybe?

While I agree with most of what you said; all three are indeed very useful players, and should garner some interest from some teams if the asking price is not too high.

The cap hit on Korpikoski though, is pretty far from nice. It's passable based on some of the stuff that he contributes, but no where close to be being a good deal.

RABBIT

I bet if Fabbri is there at twelve, we will get a nice offer from Colubus to move down to their spot. Fabbri and Rychel have FANTASTIC chemistry. We could still get a darn nice player at 16th

What kind of deal would you take from Columbus for the 12th? For me this would be tough, because if Fabbri is still there at 12, I take him in a heartbeat. Imagine Fabbri and Domi on the same line together, with either a big center down the middle and them being the wingers...or one of them the center, the other the being one winger, and an experienced, bigger, tougher winger with some skill on the opposite wing. (A Simmonds type to protect them)

But I digress, what would CBJ need to add to the 16th to get 12?

And what kind of deal would you take from Philly for the 12th?
You think Philly would try and use that 17th and a significant roster player for Yandle and the 12th? Yandle has been on their wishlist forever it seems.

I know Philly probably wouldn't do it, but...

To :flyers
Keith Yandle
12th overall

To :coyotes
Wayne Simmonds
17th overall

:naughty:

If not something like that, what would Philly need to add to the 17th for our 12th?

Combining both of my answers, i had a crazy thought of a few trades and draft picks that would make this team pretty skillful a few years down the road...

Trade Yandle, Stone, our 2nd this year and a 2nd next year for Wayne Simmonds and a 3rd in 2015.

Keep our 12th and draft Fabbri if available.

In a couple years put Simmonds, Domi, and Fabbri all on the same line. Pure skill and grit line.

I'm not really an advocate for trading Yandle, either. Haha.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Ugh I remember when that trade broke. Can't believe it was six damn years ago.

In hindsight it wasn't all too bad in the end.

-> Phoenix: Olli Jokinen
-> Florida: Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton, 2008 2nd round pick

-> Calgary: Olli Jokinen, 2009 3rd round pick
-> Phoenix: Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust, 2010 1st round pick (Brandon Gormley)

rt

May 13, 2004
Philly has addressed their needs for a Yandle type, elsewhere. I cant see them interested in any deal where Yandle and Simmonds are the two primary pieces.

Each team (Philly and Columbus) has a pick in the mid 2nd. That's the most likely asset we'd be asking for, I imagine.

Of course this is only worth it if we like a guy more than Fabbri or Kapanen that we feel has a good shot of dropping. Tuch, Larkin, Barbashev, Bleackley or somebody like that.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
But I digress, what would CBJ need to add to the 16th to get 12?
Is a 2nd next year the going rate for 4 spots? If there are 3-4 players I like at 12, I'd slide back to add a 2nd.
I know Philly probably wouldn't do it, but...

To :flyers
Keith Yandle
12th overall

To :coyotes
Wayne Simmonds
17th overall

Or trade Yandle, Stone, our 2nd this year and a 2nd next year for Wayne Simmonds and a 3rd in 2015.
Am I underrating Simmonds, overrating Yandle or both? Because both these trades seem really bad. Is Simmonds really worth Yandle? Simmonds would have been our leading scorer this year but I've never considered him the kind of guy who is going to drive a team's offense the way Yandle has ours. Nice cap hit / contract tho.
Of course this is only worth it if we like a guy more than Fabbri or Kapanen that we feel has a good shot of dropping. Tuch, Larkin, Barbashev, Bleackley or somebody like that.
If there's a guy we like more than Fabbri or Kapanen, just take them at 12. If there are 4 or 5 guys there we all like equally, then trade back and add a pick somewhere. Dangerous game gambling that the other GM hasn't seen what we've seen in a kid like Bleackley or Larkin.

RABBIT

Is a 2nd next year the going rate for 4 spots? If there are 3-4 players I like at 12, I'd slide back to add a 2nd.Am I underrating Simmonds, overrating Yandle or both? Because both these trades seem really bad. Is Simmonds really worth Yandle? Simmonds would have been our leading scorer this year but I've never considered him the kind of guy who is going to drive a team's offense the way Yandle has ours. Nice cap hit / contract tho.

Let me just start by saying that I am not one of the few who hate Yandle on this forum. I love Yandle. It would be a HUGE loss, but getting a Shane Doan 2.0 (with more scoring upside than Shane) in Simmonds is a deal I would really have to think about. He would probably be our leading scorer for years to come, and the dude is a hard hitting power forward. He has skill AND size, and heart like a mother****er. If we weren't as deep as we are in the defense pool, i would call anybody crazy for wanting to trade Yandle. It's just that we have all kinds of untapped talent that may not provide as much offense as Yandle, but could still be top 4 defensemen without as many turnovers. Needless to say, we would be losing some offense from one man gone from our defense, but that hole would be filled with amazingly defensive minded defensemen in Gormley and Murphy...and Simmond's offense would not only replace but exceed Yandle's offensive numbers.

Recap: We replace Yandle's painfully average defensive play with Gormley and Murphy's excellent defensive capabilities, and we replace Yandle's above average offensive numbers with a forward who can exceed those numbers, while also providing leadership, physicality, and a great cap hit...and he's still just 25. One of the few players I would trade Yandle for.

Last edited:

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Philly has addressed their needs for a Yandle type, elsewhere. I cant see them interested in any deal where Yandle and Simmonds are the two primary pieces.

Each team (Philly and Columbus) has a pick in the mid 2nd. That's the most likely asset we'd be asking for, I imagine.

Philly is at the ceiling and would want to lower it's cap hit. I hope DM can take advantage, but Hextal wouldn't want to lose his 1st trade. The asset may very well be a player as long as they can't dump Lecavalier. I doubt the Flyers will do it - the Schenns for the 12th pick and Stone. They lower their cap by $2,350,000 (Luke-MS), Laughton gets Brayden's spot and draft Kapanen. Luke may be overpriced but IMO, he is a better fit than Stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad