Speculation: Who do you think is traded during the off-season?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Don’t be surprised to see Shea Theodore moved at the draft.

If they win the Cup again, it may turn into giving Theodore the extension and finding a situation to part ways with Alex Pietrangelo instead. They’ll do it like Tampa did McDonagh.

More likely it’s gonna be Theodore sent packing though, with the 1 year left on his deal. He’s worth much more in a trade than Pietrangelo.

Not only do they have to cut some bodies again, he’s one of the few with little protection, $5.2 million next season, a big contract coming, and they need to replenish the assets they lost at the deadline. He also becomes a viable target for more teams because he plays the right side.

With his contract, the Leafs will be all over it, and figure out the extension later. Detroit will be another team, and with their deep system, with things Vegas will want, good bet he could end up there. BTW, Pretty sure if Detroit’s one lottery ball doesn’t hit, they’re poised to deal that pick this year, as part of a deal for a Top 4 partner for Edvinsson or Seider. Either or.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I doubt that very much.
He's been the 2nd half of the most productive pairing in the league, he's young just coming into his prime and even if we could find a comp via trade or UFA the cost would be sky high in both assets and contract.

I've heard people say that he can't be paid more than Quinn but Quinn is highly underpaid and I doubt that is an issue.
He wants 8 and based on comps that's really not far off especially since the cap is going up a lot over the next couple of years which lowers his cap hit %

From Vancouver maybe Mikheyev but with all the UFA's we have there's already going to be a lot of turnover this summer.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If they win the Cup again, it may turn into giving Theodore the extension and finding a situation to part ways with Alex Pietrangelo instead. They’ll do it like Tampa did McDonagh.
They won't have the same leverage that Tampa did.
Pietro has a full NMC where Tampa had the threat of just waiving McDonagh making him available to anyone.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
I'd say Jordan Harris, to make room on the blueline for incoming kids. Also, Dvorak could be of interest for any team looking for a short-term plug at C. Overpaid, but only signed for one more season...
Who doesn't want an overpaid plug for 1 year

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024

More likely it’s gonna be Theodore sent packing though, with the 1 year left on his deal. He’s worth much more in a trade than Pietrangelo.

Not only do they have to cut some bodies again, he’s one of the few with little protection, $5.2 million next season, a big contract coming, and they need to replenish the assets they lost at the deadline. He also becomes a viable target for more teams because he plays the right side.

With his contract, the Leafs will be all over it, and figure out the extension later. Detroit will be another team, and with their deep system, with things Vegas will want, good bet he could end up there. BTW, Pretty sure if Detroit’s one lottery ball doesn’t hit, they’re poised to deal that pick this year, as part of a deal for a Top 4 partner for Edvinsson or Seider. Either or.
The more I think about it, the more I think you might be right about Theodore being the guy moved on the backend. With Hanifin extending, it just seems like he is effectively the replacement for Theodore on the depth chart.

Reactions: Petes2424

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Who doesn't want an overpaid plug for 1 year
Centers are valuable, and while overpaid, he's still a legit NHLer, and not having to commit to him (like you do when you sign a UFA) has value, too.

I'm not saying he'll fetch much of anything, but whoever might sign him as a UFA might well like to trade for him ahead of time, to give him a year to see if he's a fit on the team (and see if the team wants to commit to him).

Reactions: Nevins

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Centers are valuable, and while overpaid, he's still a legit NHLer, and not having to commit to him (like you do when you sign a UFA) has value, too.

I'm not saying he'll fetch much of anything, but whoever might sign him as a UFA might well like to trade for him ahead of time, to give him a year to see if he's a fit on the team (and see if the team wants to commit to him).
Okay, but I thought this was who you thought would get traded not who you hope would get traded

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Okay, but I thought this was who you thought would get traded not who you hope would get traded
I think he'll get traded for the exact reasons I listed.

I could've added that Newhook seems comfortable at C and could be seen as the future at 3C, making Dvorak expendable.

If you want to know what I'm "hoping" for Dvorak, it would be a healthy, productive season so Montreal can rent him for a haul at 50%.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montreal is definitely moving young Dmen out ...kovacevic, Barron Harris, maybe Struble.. one or two of these guys may get dealt.
I suspect they hang on to Matheson and savard - until next TDL at least

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Montreal is definitely moving young Dmen out ...kovacevic, Barron Harris, maybe Struble.. one or two of these guys may get dealt.
I suspect they hang on to Matheson and savard - until next TDL at least
I think Struble, Barron and Kovacevic are definitely traid bait. With Struble/Barron having similar value.

I don't see the Habs trading Harris due to his versatility (LHD/RHD). In an ideal world, Harris would be the Habs 6/7 dman.

If there ever was a time to trade Matheson its now. But i think the book on him is well known by NHL GMs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think Struble, Barron and Kovacevic are definitely traid bait. With Struble/Barron having similar value.

I don't see the Habs trading Harris due to his versatility (LHD/RHD). In an ideal world, Harris would be the Habs 6/7 dman.

If there ever was a time to trade Matheson its now. But i think the book on him is well known by NHL GMs.
good points. My only issue with Harris, is he seems overmatched at times during a game - and with hutson there, and the small guys up front, it may be too much

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The more I think about it, the more I think you might be right about Theodore being the guy moved on the backend. With Hanifin extending, it just seems like he is effectively the replacement for Theodore on the depth chart.
Think they’d like to keep all 3 next season but after getting Hertl too, then giving Hanifin over $7 million? They’re gonna have a tough time giving Shea a new contract.

He’s the one piece they have, where they can cash in by trading him. Pietrangelo can be moved, but with his age and NMC, it’ll be a just shedding salary thing. Hague’s gonna need another deal soon, and McNabb is one of the best role playing Dmen in the league. They are gonna be forced to move one of them, on top of Martinez walking away.

With everything taken into account, it’s likely going to be Shea.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
good points. My only issue with Harris, is he seems overmatched at times during a game - and with hutson there, and the small guys up front, it may be too much
I agree. In an ideal world, we leverage Matheson's offensive season and trade for a quality RHD (or sign a top-4 RHD to insulate Guhle). Guhle should be on his LHD side.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

Chychrun + for Theodore? Extensions on both sides?

With Hanafin getting 7, Chychrun should get 6 at best, which would be lower than a Theodore contract.

Still get a top 4 dman and an asset/s to dangle at the TDL.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Konecny
Farabee
Laughton
Ristolainen

They should all be on the block for the Flyers. The top two available for obvious overpayments.

Laughton for anything nearing a 1st rounder pick, Risto for literally anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad