Speculation: Who do you think is traded during the off-season?

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not going to speculate on other teams. But from Calgary, I think Mangiapane is moved. Maybe Markstrom, but only if the deal is worth it. I think Vladar will be bought out in the 2nd buyout period (he won't be healthy for the first one)
I highly doubt Mange is moved until around the deadline. Management hates retaining already and nobody is paying us the assets we would want for him without retention when the winger market is flooded this summer (ie why trade for Mangiapane at 5.8M when you can sign Terravainen for 6M). So they will wait until the the actual money owed in a retention trade is near it's lowest (ala the deadline) then move him to a contender at 50-75%

I think there is a very real possibility Markstrom is moved but we may have to retain on his deal to make it work and for the return we want. If we do move him I doubt Vladar is moved. We can't just throw Wolf to the dogs next year, and Vladar has always played at his best when he is getting more consistent play. Even if we don't move Markstrom I doubt Vladar is bought out, we probably just move him to San Jose or something for FC, or place him on waivers, a buy out would just affect our cap for 2 years instead of 1.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'm not going to speculate on other teams. But from Calgary, I think Mangiapane is moved. Maybe Markstrom, but only if the deal is worth it. I think Vladar will be bought out in the 2nd buyout period (he won't be healthy for the first one)
Trade Markstrom and keep Vladar to shelter Wolf. I also think Markstrom will want out after what went down during the season. Who knows what was actually on the table but the Flames won’t get better than a 25 1st and Holtz if that was offered. My guess it was a second plus Holtz or at least I’d hope that’s why it fell apart.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder about Nick Robertson, he's got 13 goals, he scores whenever he's in the lineup but he's not consistently in the lineup.

I also wonder how long Kuzmenko spends in Calgary

Reactions: hn777

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I highly doubt Mange is moved until around the deadline. Management hates retaining already and nobody is paying us the assets we would want for him without retention when the winger market is flooded this summer (ie why trade for Mangiapane at 5.8M when you can sign Terravainen for 6M). So they will wait until the the actual money owed in a retention trade is near it's lowest (ala the deadline) then move him to a contender at 50-75%

I think there is a very real possibility Markstrom is moved but we may have to retain on his deal to make it work and for the return we want. If we do move him I doubt Vladar is moved. We can't just throw Wolf to the dogs next year, and Vladar has always played at his best when he is getting more consistent play. Even if we don't move Markstrom I doubt Vladar is bought out, we probably just move him to San Jose or something for FC, or place him on waivers, a buy out would just affect our cap for 2 years instead of 1.

The logic behind this in my eyes is kinda stupid tbh.

Real Money by Calgary paid to mangiapane if retained 50% in offseason: 2.9 million dollars
Real money by calgary paid to mangiapane if retained 50% at deadline: 5.1 million

It costs 3.2 million dollars in real money to calgary if they wait until the deadline to retain 50%.

Ledge And Dairy

The logic behind this in my eyes is kinda stupid tbh.

Real Money by Calgary paid to mangiapane if retained 50% in offseason: 2.9 million dollars
Real money by calgary paid to mangiapane if retained 50% at deadline: 5.1 million

It costs 3.2 million dollars in real money to calgary if they wait until the deadline to retain 50%.
The difference is Mange spends the season playing for you vs not playing for you. Again you are missing the biggest point in the winger market being very flooded.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Future Considerations. That guy is always getting traded.
I don't see the Oilers losing in the first round. Unless Saros stands on his head and LA don't have the goalie to do that. . Again anything is possible and with a new GM likely coming in changes could happen

Future Considerations. That guy is always getting traded.
I don't see the Oilers losing in the first round. Unless Saros stands on his head and LA don't have the goalie to do that. . Again anything is possible and with a new GM likely coming in changes could happen

• Wow
Reactions: Whalers Fan

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I don't think the Flyers will trade Konecny, but they probably should.
If Toffoli chooses to move on, I’d want Chevy to go after Konecny… he’d be great on the Jets…I’d prefer Konecny over Toffoli, but Chevy likely gives Toffoli the first option as he’s already there

Last edited:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I really hope Columbus does not trade Laine this summer, but work with him and the assistance program to get him mentally healthy again. Once that happens a new place to play seems inevitable for Laine, but until then I'm speculating that he needs as much stability in his life as he can get, as do all the players who find themselves in the assistance program.

Being honest part of me wonders whether Laine putting up his condo for sale in Columbus may be a sign that he may be looking to go home again and play in Europe. He's easily big enough, strong enough, and talented enough to play in the NHL, but maybe he needs to be closer to home for his mental health.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think the Canucks get rid of a couple players. Connor Garland for sure. He's having a pretty good year and you may as well cash in on his return while it's high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad