Prospect Info: Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #13 Overall Prospect?

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #13 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I feel bad for the kid, and I hope he can rebound and grab on to whatever personal success he can get, whether it be in pro hockey or not.

But McIsaac's poor performance at this camp did not surprise me. Since he was drafted and after watching him a bunch, there were just too many red flags for me. I've posted about him several times before and have gotten a little pushback, but he's not good defensively. He's prone to the forecheck and gets lost a bit when the other team has extended possession. Not even going to discuss his offensive ability in this tournament, we all saw that. And then when you add the injuries and lost development time on top of that, it's not a great recipe. Those latter factors are going to sway some people, but ultimately I never believed in his hockey IQ in terms of his NHL prospects and didn't need this latest injury to sway me. I've got him ranked outside my top-15.

I do wonder how relevant any assessments can be with how few games he has played over the past two years because of that lost development time. This last season was exceptionally bad because he really would have benefitted from playing in the AHL and getting those live reps. This year is going to be significant because he needs to fit almost two years of growth into one season. We will see how he handles it.

I never believed much in his upside being more than a stay at home, bottom half of the lineup defenseman in the NHL. I think moving up levels would actually help him as more structure and a more rigidly defined role would help him stabilize a bit. I feel like I use this case study a lot, but it rings true for a ton of players. Nick Jensen was atrocious when he first made it to the NHL and it took some reality checks from Blashill before Jensen's game was dumbed down to highlight the things that he does best and he became a passable defenseman that was quietly one of the better options on the back end.

I can see having Sebrango jump him at this point based more on Sebrango's development more so than McIsaac's disappointments (which is the best way for a shuffle to happen), I can understand Pearson above him based on likelihood of an NHL career. There is nobody else on the list at this point who I believe appears to have a steady NHL career in their future with what they've done with their development to this point. Tyutyayev is the one who has flashed the most, but we will get a crash course on his projectability this year watching him in Grand Rapids. Mastrosimone hasn't flashed enough in college, but this might be the year we see the dividends.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Skates well, solid defensively, physical, willing to fight, moves the puck pretty well. Not a lot of offense, but he has everything else.
Sebrango got to QB the PP for two shifts in the game against Columbus. The team scored on one of them and he got the assist. They just need to let the leash loose a bit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sebrango got to QB the PP for two shifts in the game against Columbus. The team scored on one of them and he got the assist. They just need to let the leash loose a bit.
I don't think it's the coaches, I think it's just his mentality, defense first. Considering most of the other D prospects are puck moving defensemen that like to pinch in, it's not a bad thing to have a defensive minded D in the mix.

I also don't get why everyone has him pegged as having a third pair ceiling. He's progressing better at his age than anyone Mike Green had as a top pair partner in DC.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Skates well, solid defensively, physical, willing to fight, moves the puck pretty well. Not a lot of offense, but he has everything else.

I would add that he also has a very mature understanding of the defensive side of the game, a strong defensive IQ and is very difficult to play against. I think he is well above average at everything that isn't offensive and that his puck movement and decision making are still very solid. He just plays like an NHL defensemen. I don't know how else to say it.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
At this point of these things I struggle to participate. Just splitting hairs to me

Precisely. I picked Mazur because I don't give a crap at this point. Oh, and he was decent at the WJC Summer Showcase. I'd be happy if he were headed to Madison instead of Denver.

Reactions: StNickFan

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Management seems to be pleased that Sebrango can play for the Griffs this year and intent on having him play there.
I think it may be prudent to return him to junior to get tons of ice-time in all situations and develop his offense.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I would bet good money on Tyutyayev playing more NHL games than Big Elmer.
What are you basing this on? Tyutayev hasn't even played in a high enough league to get himself a HockeyDB page at this point. Did you watch a lot of Belarussian hockey last year or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad