Who do you take at 9th Overall

Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I'd be curious if anyone who likes Farabee can explain how they get comfortable with his production? I get the Hall / Paris comparisons stylistically, but Hall and Parise scored 1.9 and 1.6 ppg in the OHL and NCAA in their pre-draft year. Farabee's scored 1.2 ppg in the USDP, which seems much less impressive to me. The closest players to Farabee in terms of USDP Production are JVR, Rocco Grimaldi, Peter Mueller, Patrick Eaves, Colin Wilson, Jack Roslovic, and Jeremy Morin. Only one of those guys became a top 6 player and Farabee has probably had the best linemates out of that group in Hughes and Wahlstrom. What is it that doesn't show up in his stats that gets people comfortable with the idea that he has enough skill to be productive at the NHL despite seemingly mediocre USDP numbers?

Reactions: ponzu4u

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd be curious if anyone who likes Farabee can explain how they get comfortable with his production? I get the Hall / Paris comparisons stylistically, but Hall and Parise scored 1.9 and 1.6 ppg in the OHL and NCAA in their pre-draft year. Farabee's scored 1.2 ppg in the USDP, which seems much less impressive to me. The closest players to Farabee in terms of USDP Production are JVR, Rocco Grimaldi, Peter Mueller, Patrick Eaves, Colin Wilson, Jack Roslovic, and Jeremy Morin. Only one of those guys became a top 6 player and Farabee has probably had the best linemates out of that group in Hughes and Wahlstrom. What is it that doesn't show up in his stats that gets people comfortable with the idea that he has enough skill to be productive at the NHL despite seemingly mediocre USDP numbers?

good points here I don't think he's more than a middle 6er. nice player for sure but a guy that should go in the teens not the top 10

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I really don't want hughes at all. he's the one guy that is in the mix that we're all talking about that I really really don't want. I am a huge BPA guy but I don't see the need for a tiny offensive lefty d. I just don't. I'd be very disappointed in this pick. he's not going to play on a top nhl pairing in my opinion.

if Dobson is still sitting there at 8. lets say everyone goes that should go (which almost never happens)

1dahlin
2svechnikov
3zadina
4tkachuk
5boqvist
6bouchard
7wahlstrom

at 8 we should be able to choose from Dobson/Hughes those are the two best players avail. for me its clear you take Dobson. Big strong great skating righty dman? they don't grow on trees. tiny skilled lefty dmen? can find those a lot easier.

I know some really love farabee and I don't blame them I like him a lot too, but he's a guy that should not be going in the top 8 of this draft.

If we are taking BPA at 8 and Hughes is there, he's BPA, I think you're too low on him because of his size but skill set he's a top 5 player, look at all the D men in the league today who are a little small but still perform very well. Size is overrated sometimes.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If we are taking BPA at 8 and Hughes is there, he's BPA, I think you're too low on him because of his size but skill set he's a top 5 player, look at all the D men in the league today who are a little small but still perform very well. Size is overrated sometimes.

I mean I have him and Dobson as the two best players avail at that spot. So I'm certainly not saying he doesn't deserve that selection. he's just not my guy if its between the two. a big strong smooth skating RIGHTY D vs a admittedly higher skilled but small lefty d. this is an easy one for me. like I said guys like Dobson bouchard boqvist they don't grow on trees. high end right d's just are hard to find.

having said all that someone will throw a wrench in. there will be a top guy that drops a bit and we'll have a decision to make. for me Im hoping its boqvist or wahlstrom that falls.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If we pick Kotkaniemi, I expect Pierre to compare him to Jesper Fast, because they have nearly identical first names.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Too little controversy in this thread. How about this:

Who you do NOT want at 8 from these options?
I would not want Lundestrom, Veleno, Hayton, or Merkley. In that order. Wouldn't mind Merkley as a later pick, but Wilde, Sandin, Miller, and Tychonik are probably better choices than him. And Smith I wouldn't mind at number 8, but there will be better choices for sure.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Tkachuk
Dobson
Hughes
Boqvist

This my list who we pick at 8 if available, honestly.

the top 10 of this draft right there along with Dahlin. there is a TON of talent right there. I think the drop off comes right after. I think there are 3 tiers of player in that top 10. and then a pretty good drop off after.

I think its

Dahlin

Svech/Zadina/Boqvist

Tkachuk/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Hughes/Dobson

then there is a drop

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who you have at 7?

Tkachuk at 7 in March. My top 8 has been pretty consistent for several months now. Bouchard forced his way into the top 10 for me as the season wore on.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Hughes
6. Wahlstrom
7. Tkachuk
8. Farabee
9. Bouchard
10. Dobson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
you're really that high on farabee that you have him ahead of bouchard and Dobson? why? do you see top end talent in him?

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I'll take a shot at this, although my opinion admittedly isn't worth very much.

1) Dahlin - He has the 2nd most points in a U18 season of any player in the SHL, including forwards and was the top defenseman at the WJC as a pre-draft player.

2) Svechnikov

3 - 5) Zadina, Bouchard, and Kravstov - Bouchard was almost as productive as Zadina as a defenseman. I think the skating concerns are overblown. For Kravstov, 7 points in the KHL is really good. Panarin had 9. Kaprizov had 8. Kuznetsov had 8. Kucherov and Buchnevich had 2. You watch Kravstov's play and he's already carving through pro dmen and creating chances on smart reads against professional teams.

6-10) Hughes, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, and Wahlstrom - Hughes scored a higher ppg than Tkachuck in the NCAA this year, despite being a defenseman and being younger. He looked like the best player on a Michigan team that played in the NCAA Finals. Boqvist's SEL production was really good and he's on of the youngest players in the draft, but I worry a little bit about his struggle to produce in the SHL and a lack of progression from last year to this year. Kotkaniemi outproduced Teravainen, Aho, and Rantanen's pre-draft seasons and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. Stylistically, he reminds of Matthews in terms of his ability to control the puck in traffic and get off quick, accurate shots. He seems to read the game well and backcheck hard. I worry a little about Wahlstrom benefitting from playing next to Hughes, but his shot production was really good even before Hughes and the only players with higher scoring seasons in the USDP are Matthews, Hughes, Kessel, Keller, Eichel, and Kane. He's almost a full year younger than Tkachuk.

Dobson and Tkachuk would probably be next on the list for me. If you want to feel good about this year's draft, Zadina only scored 4 points less than Hischier did in the same amount of games in the QJMHL in their pre-draft seasons.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
you're really that high on farabee that you have him ahead of bouchard and Dobson? why? do you see top end talent in him?

Personally, I really like Farabee. I'd say he's right in the mix with Bouchard and Dobson.

IMO, his upside is a first line winger. I think that highly of him.

Bouchard and Dobson are a little sexier because their RHDs, but I don't know if I quite project them as first pair defenseman. Right now, if you twisted my arm, I think their upside is more likely just a notch below that.

But I think the players I have 6-10 are all reasonably close. I can point out some great attributes, and some potential concerns with each of them.

I freely admit that I have Farabee higher than some people.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'll take a shot at this, although my opinion admittedly isn't worth very much.

1) Dahlin - He has the 2nd most points in a U18 season of any player in the SHL, including forwards and was the top defenseman at the WJC as a pre-draft player.

2) Svechnikov

3 - 5) Zadina, Bouchard, and Kravstov - Bouchard was almost as productive as Zadina as a defenseman. I think the skating concerns are overblown. For Kravstov, 7 points in the KHL is really good. Panarin had 9. Kaprizov had 8. Kuznetsov had 8. Kucherov and Buchnevich had 2. You watch Kravstov's play and he's already carving through pro dmen and creating chances on smart reads against professional teams.

6-10) Hughes, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, and Wahlstrom - Hughes scored a higher ppg than Tkachuck in the NCAA this year, despite being a defenseman and being younger. He looked like the best player on a Michigan team that played in the NCAA Finals. Boqvist's SEL production was really good and he's on of the youngest players in the draft, but I worry a little bit about his struggle to produce in the SHL and a lack of progression from last year to this year. Kotkaniemi outproduced Teravainen, Aho, and Rantanen's pre-draft seasons and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. Stylistically, he reminds of Matthews in terms of his ability to control the puck in traffic and get off quick, accurate shots. He seems to read the game well and backcheck hard. I worry a little about Wahlstrom benefitting from playing next to Hughes, but his shot production was really good even before Hughes and the only players with higher scoring seasons in the USDP are Matthews, Hughes, Kessel, Keller, Eichel, and Kane. He's almost a full year younger than Tkachuk.

Dobson and Tkachuk would probably be next on the list for me. If you want to feel good about this year's draft, Zadina only scored 4 points less than Hischier did in the same amount of games in the QJMHL in their pre-draft seasons.

They're not.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Personally, I really like Farabee. I'd say he's right in the mix with Bouchard and Dobson.

IMO, his upside is a first line winger. I think that highly of him.

Bouchard and Dobson are a little sexier because their RHDs, but I don't know if I quite project them as first pair defenseman. Right now, if you twisted my arm, I think their upside is more likely just a notch below that.

But I think the players I have 6-10 are all reasonably close. I can point out some great attributes, and some potential concerns with each of them.

I freely admit that I have Farabee higher than some people.

fair enough. as someone pointed out though I don't see him scoring as such in developmental and he's usually playing with two real studs. I like him I just cant put him ahead of those righty dmen.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm still waiting for one scouting report that says Bouchard isn't a good skater.

Still haven't found one.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm still waiting for one scouting report that says Bouchard isn't a good skater.

Still haven't found one.

I don't think he's a bad skater, I just don't know if he has quite the higher end speed a lot of teams are looking for in a top defenseman. It's not what I'd call a detriment, so much as it's not necessarily the foot he leads with.

Unfortunately, a lot of pre-draft scouting reports leave a lot to be desired with actual evaluation. Based on many reports, you'd think every kid is great in every area and has no concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad