Who do you take at 7th (now 8th) overall?

Who do you take at 7th overall?

• Total voters

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think that it (buyout) would be set in stone for 2019, but it isn't like there would be any opposition to t...it doesn't hurt the players, they still get paid, and it only helps teams spend more money on other players - so not seeing who would vote this down? there are a lot of teams with bad contracts, can't see GMs saying no thanks to this..
The owners probably don't see it as a positive.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The owners probably don't see it as a positive.

Yeah, depending on how cheap the ownership is, that's the only group that wouldn't want it. They end up paying guys a full salary to not play for them. And said players can go out and get another contract on top of it. Most owners are billionaires, though... so it's not exactly like 20m means anything to them in the grand scheme of things. Particularly if it helps their organization bring a Cup home. Lots more money coming in with a Cup win to balance it out.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, depending on how cheap the ownership is, that's the only group that wouldn't want it. They end up paying guys a full salary to not play for them. And said players can go out and get another contract on top of it.

I would hope the expansion fees and revenue sharing would be enough to get them on board with some moves that could help the big city teans. Seems like it’s always about what they want.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, depending on how cheap the ownership is, that's the only group that wouldn't want it. They end up paying guys a full salary to not play for them. And said players can go out and get another contract on top of it. Most owners are billionaires, though... so it's not exactly like 20m means anything to them in the grand scheme of things. Particularly if it helps their organization bring a Cup home. Lots more money coming in with a Cup win to balance it out.
I think we've seen (based off the lockouts) that the owners do care about a small portion of money that they shouldn't, so I wouldn't put it past them to care about 20mil.

It's possible that they do it again, but I hardly think it's a guarantee, and knowing Bettman, he'll try to screw the players over somehow.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes, waste a top 10OA pick(which has a high likelihood of being a game-changing player) to get rid of a contract that has the potential to only be here one more season, right? Do you ever think before you type?
That's a fair argument. How about if the Hawks staple Seabrook AND Hossa's contract? I know the LTIR exists for Hossa ... but it still handcuffs our books in the off season.

I realize the 7th pick is valuable. However, how many top 5-10 picks really hit? With $10mn+ dollars of cap space, the Hawks can do some damage in the FA market. Furthermore, if it doesn't work out ... a potential amnesty clause (if he can't be traded) can be used on a certain center if he doesn't get his butt in gear. That will put our rebuilding efforts on hyper drive.

Are the Hawks rebuilding or is our window shut? Being in the middle is not the place to be.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's a fair argument. How about if the Hawks staple Seabrook AND Hossa's contract? I know the LTIR exists for Hossa ... but it still handcuffs our books in the off season.

I realize the 7th pick is valuable. However, how many top 5-10 picks really hit? With $10mn+ dollars of cap space, the Hawks can do some damage in the FA market. Furthermore, if it doesn't work out ... a potential amnesty clause (if he can't be traded) can be used on a certain center if he doesn't get his butt in gear. That will put our rebuilding efforts on hyper drive.

Are the Hawks rebuilding or is our window shut? Being in the middle is not the place to be.

In this draft, I would say most will.

And I agree, being in the middle isn't the place to be. But they have a decent amount of cap space to make a small splash this offseason, and they have what could potentially be a top 5 pick this draft... a really deep draft for the 1st round, from what I've read. With the potential to land a star. Especially if they move up via lottery.

I say wait and see if a buyout comes in a year. Deal with Seabs for one more season and see what happens. Seabs, when utilized correctly, is still a serviceable D. Just has too high a cap hit. If he is played under 15 mins a night, he has been solid. Q needs to actually do it, though, but that's a whole different discussion.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
It is such a crap shoot as to who to take. The Hawks desperately need instant contributions on defense. So... is Bouchard or Dobson ready physically to immediately contribute? Probably no... but maybe. We also need scorers as the Hawks really have only two guys who would be considered real scoring threats --- Kane and Cat. That said, would a Veleno or Tchuck (spelling) immediately be able to contribute to the scoring? Maybe?

Or, is this "immediate help" perspective a viable way to do things or do you think in terms of say 2-3 years down the road? With a top 10 pick, it is reasonable to expect some early contribution --- but can such be what the Hawks hang their recovery upon?

So...

Maybe you just go with best available athlete/hockey guy as best you can guess. I certainly have not seen these candidates play so as to make a comparison. Bottom line is I have no idea who is best and will simply hope for the best.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I don't think that it (buyout) would be set in stone for 2019, but it isn't like there would be any opposition to t...it doesn't hurt the players, they still get paid, and it only helps teams spend more money on other players - so not seeing who would vote this down? there are a lot of teams with bad contracts, can't see GMs saying no thanks to this..
If the cap goes down its pretty much necessary otherwise a bunch of teams will be f***ed.

The cheaper owners could always just not use the buyouts and their teams would probably be near the cap floor and wouldn't need them anyway.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
We should be quite happy. I think we land one of Boqvist, Dobson or Bouchard, all top 4 potential d-men.

Or we get lucky, and slide into top 3, and get one of Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Running that sim at Tankathon, the Hawks drop one or two spots more than they rise or stay at seven. Just the way the odds work out, unfortunately.

Agree with Enyaw...if Tkachuk is there at seven, no way Hawks pass on him.
It's all luck, and literally anything can happen. I just ran a sim 10 times. 3 times the hawks won the lottery, once they got 2 OA pick, twice they stayed at 7, and 4 times they moved down. If I ran it another 10 times it would probably be completely different. Interested to see what happens.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's all luck, and literally anything can happen. I just ran a sim 10 times. 3 times the hawks won the lottery, once they got 2 OA pick, twice they stayed at 7, and 4 times they moved down. If I ran it another 10 times it would probably be completely different. Interested to see what happens.
It's not all luck. Bettman wants Chicago to be good. I fully expect the top pick.

I truly hope it happens. I want to watch the main boards burn.

Reactions: COHawk

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Odds to bump to move up to a top 3 pick : 20.4%
Odds to stay at 7th pick : 26%
Odds to down as much as 3 spots (to 8, 9 or 10): 53.6%

46.4% to stay at 7 or move up to a top 3 pick
53.6% to drop to 8th thru 10th​

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015

This is correct. But even Buffalo has more than a 50% chance of picking 4th. Everyone's just gotta hope it falls in their favor. Dahlin here we come!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Odds Bettman caves to pressure: 100%

img_5824.jpg

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Since we do not know where the Hawks will exactly draft till after the lotto draws for top 3 spots, it is a sure thing Stan is planning for any eventuality...

Of course it will be Dahlin at #1 by any team that drafts there after the lotto ...I project the possible ranges for the next of the consensus group of 8 which will follow Dahlin:

Svechnikov goes 2-4
Zadina goes 2-4
Tkachuk goes 2-6
Boqvist goes 2-6
Bouchard goes 5-8
Walston goes 6-8
Hughes goes 6-9
Dobson goes 8-9

Teams will have preferences as to forward or dmen positions wanted if it comes to a choice among a grouping of 2 or 3 on their lists and a few teams might not want Russians (for instance Ottawa fans assume they will not pick Svechnikov even though he plays in Barrie I'm the OHL because they were soured by the Yashin Russian experience and have no Russian prospects in their system. ..so if Ottawa ends up at 2 they probably take Tkachuk or Zadina over Svechnikov..He probably then goes at #3 to the team drafting there ..But if a team at #2 took Zadina or Tkachuk then Ottawa at #3 would again end up with the leftover from Zadina or Tkachuk and push Svechnikov to #4 ...If the #2 team took Svechnikov then Ottawa at #3 could draft again their preference of Zadina of Tkachuk...unless they want the dman Boqvist which could happen if they cannot sign Karlsson and by the draft are prepared to let him go ...So if Ottawa too k Boqvist at #2 or #3 in that scenario it shoves all the fremaoning orwards down. IF the Hawks get #2 or #3 via lotto win I think they go forward...so Svechnikov Zadina and Tkachuk all in play at #2 and 2 of these 3 in play at #3 for the Hawks to make their preference..

NOW if the Hawks cannot win a top 3 via lotto then we get the other group in consideration as possibilities depending on which of Bouchard Hughes Wahlstrom or Dobson remains on the board..

If the Hawks remain at #7 and Bouchard and Wahlstrom are still there because a team took Hughes as a PMD at #6 ...then at #7 the Bouchard vs.Whalstrom decision BIG Dman with great piunt shot vs .decent size skill forward sniper and points guy ..it would be a very tough choice ..Easier if 1 off the board at #6 and we take anyone but Hughes at #7.

At #8 ..if both Bouchard and Wahlstrom off the board then we could go to Dobson as the other big solid all round dman or take maybe the next forward we live in the list (I would prefer Centre Hesperia Kotkanieni who I rank at #10 anyway so it is not a huge leap). Or maybe they trade down a bit ...or go for the fences with Vitaly Kravstsov...ANYBODY but Hughes. ..but if Hughes goes at #6 it means we still get either Bouchard or Wahlstrom at #8.

AT #9 ...Bouchard and Wahlstrom are definitely not there ...so again either Dobson or a forward ((Kotkanieni? or Kravstsov or a trade down and we might still get 1 of these 2 ).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Odds Bettman caves to pressure: 100%

img_5824.jpg

"Look, we're still struggling to make a profit with the Hawks. We need Dahlin, but you and NBC also need us to have Dahlin to continue to make money off our franchise. So I can only suggest you figure out a way to rig the lottery, Chicago style."

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm coming around to the idea of taking Tkachuk if he falls to #7 and can play next year.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden-Tkachuk-Hinostroza
Who-Really-Cares
Q's Plug

Keith-Joker
Moore-Murphy
Forsling-Nacho
Oesterle-Rutta

Flip Anisimov and give his cap hit to Schmaltz.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm coming around to the idea of taking Tkachuk if he falls to #7 and can play next year.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Who-Really-Cares
Q's Plug

Keith-Joker
Moore-Murphy
Forsling-Nacho
Oesterle-Rutta

I thought there is like virtually no chance he slides to 7.....?

@Blue Liner

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Saad-Toews-Sikura
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Who-Really-Cares
Q's Plug

Keith-Joker
Moore-Murphy
Forsling-Nacho
Oesterle-Rutta

Who is Nacho?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad