Who do you see flipped at the dealine?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
or whenever, sometime over the season, after the Cup.

Yes, we're rebuilding and want picks, but I feel its a bit of overkill whenever anyone mentions a FA, its "we'll just trade him at the deadline"

Who on the current roster, do you see not playing a full season with the Leafs due to
being traded?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Yes, we're rebuilding and want picks, but I feel its a bit of overkill whenever anyone mentions a FA, its "we'll just trade him at the deadline"

Who on the current roster, do you see not playing a full season with the Leafs due to
being traded?

Bozak (traded early), Matthias, Polak, Parenteau, Spaling (deadline) Phaneuf (draft/near draft)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I guess there is another side to this:

What if a player is great (Matthias-25g), or we're closer to the playoffs, than the lottery?

Freidman himself said "It can't be as bad as last year"
I think it would take a lot of (sic) effort to do that again.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

What if a player is great (Matthias-25g), or we're closer to the playoffs, than the lottery?

If we were close to the playoffs I'd probably keep the best 2 and sell the rest.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Likely the best of the free agency signings, Parterneau perhaps.

I suspect the team will try to move Guys like Bozak at the first opportunity - or maybe even before opening night.

I think this management team has learned the mistakes of Nonis. We will be sellers at the deadline, no matter what happens. None of the guys who might get flipped matter at all to the leafs future, but the picks they will bring back will.

I think Friedman is wrong too - the leafs will be pretty awful.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

We should still deal all our 1 year contracts. Even if we're in a playoff spot, we should probably still deal them if we can get a good return.

If Nylander doesn't play for the Leafs from the start of the season, we could bring him in after we make some trades. So even if we lose our best forwards, bringing up Nylander would soften the blow and still give us a chance to win.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If PAP finds his scoring touch again and scores around 20g, he will be very desirable at his cap hit. Matthias, Arocbello, and Spaling are also upcoming UFA's so I imagine they will also be on the block the entire year. Matthias is most likely to get a reasonable return of that bunch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Last year awful?

-Scoring less then before the forward pass?
-No respect or buy in to the coach?
-1 fluke road win in 51 games?

Bad...sure, worse on par with last season, no.

They may score less. Babcock will have them playing a better system, but there still really isn't much skill on this roster.

Also, if the team starts to sell guys like Dion, and the newly signed free agents by the deadline, the team will suffer for it.

I may be wrong though: time will tell.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
With Kessel gone (our only elite offensive player) I can't see us getting out of the bottom five. It's no fluke that when he stopped scoring, we started losing. If Bernier doesn't get resigned we are almost a shoe in for bottom 3. (Which isn't a bad thing by any means looking at the direction the team is going in).

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If PAP finds his scoring touch again and scores around 20g, he will be very desirable at his cap hit. Matthias, Arocbello, and Spaling are also upcoming UFA's so I imagine they will also be on the block the entire year. Matthias is most likely to get a reasonable return of that bunch.

I could see Matthias and PAP fetching a first if they have a good first half of the season. Contenders will pay for cheap scoring.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bottom five?

Anytime you have a new coach the guys have more jump(insentive). There are no favorites and some guys are playing for contract$. Toronto won't be trying to lose, other teams will. I won't be surprised if we finish 10th last, packing it in at TD with trades. All Babcock wants to do next year is instill his systems.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think not all the players we have will be tossed out for picks, I do think there is also also auditions to be part of the Leafs Mark 1 squad .

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Last year awful?

-Scoring less then before the forward pass?
-No respect or buy in to the coach?
-1 fluke road win in 51 games?

Bad...sure, worse on par with last season, no.

people need to remember the first half of the season wasn't bad last year like it will be this year, when you take the entire year we didn't score less then before the forward pass, and we had 7 road wins in the first 31 games which is probably decent. so even if were not as terrible as the 2nd half last year we will be bad the entire year instead, and therefore end up where we were this year or worst.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I have this as a list on my Toronto Maple Leaf note in my phone

LW Shawn Matthias
LW Joffrey Lupul
C Tyler Bozak
C Nick Spaling
C Mark Arcobello
RW PA Paranteau
LD Matt Hunwick
RD Roman Polak
G Jonathan Bernier

Obviously a few will not be. Guys like Lupul, Bozak and Bernier come to mind. But I think that's the list. Kadri and JVR should pull it together, especially under Babcock. I think whether Bernier plays well or not is not an indication of his future. I think the team wanted to go to arbitration to give him the most fair 1-year deal so that he is expendable this coming deadline and isn't on an over the top deal that is hard to live up to. And I'm sure there's a David Booth among the group of 1 year deal FA's that won't play well enough to earn even a 7th in 2017. But Paranteau has value, Matthias has value, they all do.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Doubt it will be a roster player with term. Most likey just the pending UFA's

If I had to guess. I'd think it will be these 4 moved out.

Mathias
Parenteau
Polak
one of the 2 goalies

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Assuming everyone performs reasonably

Shawn Matthias - 2nd
Nick Spaling - 3rd
Mark Arcobello - 7th (If we're lucky)
PA Paranteau - 3rd
Matt Hunwick - 4th
Roman Polak - 2nd/3rd (depending on his season)
James Reimer (If we can get anything for him...)

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Assuming everyone performs reasonably

Shawn Matthias - 2nd
Nick Spaling - 3rd
Mark Arcobello - 7th (If we're lucky)
PA Paranteau - 3rd
Matt Hunwick - 4th
Roman Polak - 2nd/3rd (depending on his season)
James Reimer (If we can get anything for him...)

That's a reasonable return for those players. Arcobello may give us more since he is a pretty efficient scorer. Realistically, we are only going to get a fraction of those picks - still a lot of picks to add to our eleven and still a lot after we compensate Detroit and New Jersey for prying their executives away.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
We should be able to get at least a couple picks out of the available UFA's. Should make the 2016 draft interesting. Hopefully Mark Hunter has more influence in the draft than Lou Lamoriello. New Jersey's recent draft/development record under Lou was not impressive.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I have this as a list on my Toronto Maple Leaf note in my phone

LW Shawn Matthias
LW Joffrey Lupul
C Tyler Bozak
C Nick Spaling
C Mark Arcobello
RW PA Paranteau
LD Matt Hunwick
RD Roman Polak
G Jonathan Bernier

Obviously a few will not be. Guys like Lupul, Bozak and Bernier come to mind. But I think that's the list. Kadri and JVR should pull it together, especially under Babcock. I think whether Bernier plays well or not is not an indication of his future. I think the team wanted to go to arbitration to give him the most fair 1-year deal so that he is expendable this coming deadline and isn't on an over the top deal that is hard to live up to. And I'm sure there's a David Booth among the group of 1 year deal FA's that won't play well enough to earn even a 7th in 2017. But Paranteau has value, Matthias has value, they all do.

Yes, I think virtually all the 1 year free agents we signed, plus the other expendable players you listed will be on the block.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leafs staff, I'm guessing, will play a similar game to what they did last year. If they like a player (ala Winnik) they'll try to bring them back as a UFA in the summer after dealing him at the deadline.

I think this may be the last year of one-year contracts (11 picks already for 2016). There's only so many years you can do that before you need some team continuity I would imagine. I think they always will look to build the system, but it seems these last two years were seen as prime time to jump start it with a quantity of picks.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Matthias - 3rd
Parenteau - 2nd
Spaling - 3rd
Hunwick - 4th
Polak - 2nd
Reimer or Bernier - 3rd for Reimer, 2nd++ for Bernier
Arcobello - 6th

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Whomever gets the right offer.

I would think all of our vets are up for grabs at the right price. But some will have no seekers. We can fantasize about Lupul scoring 20 goals and some GM losing his senses but..... Some of our guys are washed up and some aren't.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

being traded?

I done a thread saying this line-up won't be weaklings. It got jacked pretty good because i said they will be tough to play against. That ended up being viewed as fighting tough lol.

I think friedman is on the .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad