Who do you follow to keep yourself sane?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I have been a wings fan as long if not longer than I've been an Oilers fan so with that said I have been able to look forward to actually being able to cheer for a team in the playoffs since I was 6. The fact the Oilers have gone from mediocre to truly bad since I was 6 is basically the only reason I was cheering for the Oilers to beat the Wings in the 06 playoffs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for me-- it is more about looking at what I am doing this year..

in 20 days I am on a plane to costa rica for 10 days, may saint peterberg for ten and end of july driving to Poland for ten days--but that being said--my sanity was lost years ago

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
for me-- it is more about looking at what I am doing this year..

in 20 days I am on a plane to costa rica for 10 days, may saint peterberg for ten and end of july driving to Poland for ten days--but that being said--my sanity was lost years ago
I hope you're not driving a German car to Poland, unless you want it stolen.haha

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a fan of hockey so it's not hard to continue to watch for me. Even throughout the year I'm watching hockey if it's on.

I have a few teams I've followed for various reasons over the years and there are particular players I like on other teams as well.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Junior hockey, raptors mostly.

Sometimes jets, hawks or blues. I'll be interested to see the caps in the playoffs. Last year I liked the Isles but Meh.

I'm mostly liking the oilers or maybe following them in the way people slow down to look at car accidents on the highway.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i generally don't watch very many oilers games anymore.... and when i do is it basically just to watch mcdavid... i also tape the games now and fast forward boring parts and when the oilers are on a PK.... this brings the time i need to watch a game well under an hour, so i feel like i'm not wasting time watching this crap

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Drove the last 4 times
I have a couple of friends here in Munich who both got their cars stolen in Poland. The German rental companies won't rent you a car if you want to enter Poland. I'll be going to Krakau in june, love it there.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
NHL hockey isn't good enough for me to follow any other teams. I can barely sit through the games i resign myself to watch. Not sure who thinks playoff hockey is better, personally, I think it's even worse. It's like regular season hockey, except the refs control the games and attempt to dictate the outcome to an even GREATER degree. Like the LA Kings or Blackhawks, who seem to have free-passes to the finals. Or any other original 6, American franchise. I'm not saying it's entirely rigged, but too much for me to find it remotely entertaining.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I'm a fan of hockey so it's not hard to continue to watch for me. Even throughout the year I'm watching hockey if it's on.

I have a few teams I've followed for various reasons over the years and there are particular players I like on other teams as well.

there are more than a few places that i like to watch games on TV....like Madison Square, the Isles in Brooklyn, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Glendale, etc. loved watching hockey all day yesterday! ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I never really got too much into hockey (or sports in general) until around 07-08, after high school. I remember watching the cup run in 06 (my grad year - I remember grad was on one of the game nights they won) and it was devastating (the seeds had been planted by then). That being said, I didn't really adopt the Oilers first.

As one might gather from my user name, the Hawks are my other team, and they were actually my first team I got really passionate about (in the 07-08 year), mostly because I was a big fan of Toews and Keith. (Kane cemented my excitement for the team.) I've followed them primarily and their cup successes have definitely dulled the pain of being an Oilers fan. (I really didn't even expect one back when I first followed them, but certainly hoped for it and thought they might have something magical, which is clear now.) Last year was when the split became more 60-40 or 70-30 for the Oilers (was really rooting for Drai).

I guess I'm a hockey fan first, but those are the only two teams I really like. I'd consider bandwagoning the Sens (but I hate all the other Canadian teams). I also don't mind the Sharks.

Edit: I've never been sane.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Some of you are still sane?????

Haha, pretty much.

Watching the Caps in the playoffs doesn't keep me sane, but it's nice to cheer for a good team once and a while. Nothing can top the Oilers in the playoffs, but we haven't seen that **** in a goddamn decade. I can barely even watch other teams play now though, the Oilers just kill the hockey spirit in me. The whole time it just reminds me of how terrible we are, and it kills me inside. I'm also super jealous of fans that get to cheer on good teams.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I tried telling myself I am a hockey fan first and foremost and I watch a significant amount of hockey that is not the Oilers.

I've liked the Caps for a long time because of Ovie. So its nice to catch one of their games every once in a while.

But.

My primary interest is, for some reason I can not fathom, the Oilers. When they do well I watch more hockey.

Right now I am speed watching Oilers games or just catching the highlights.

Even tho the Oilers are playing much better hockey they still suck and ultimately are not worth watching and the only way to deal with that is to watch them as little as possible.

If only the injuries didn't get so out of hand maybe I could just write them off permanently. Unfortunately I keep finding excuses like injuries to watch them, albeit much less.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Well last year I followed mcdavid this year when mcdavid went down in figured I better start following Mathews. Seriously though I like following Buffalo Ottawa and Rangers. I never stop following the Oilers though I've been here night and day for this team since before I can remember. Getting hard to stand up for this organization though 20 games away from finishing last in the league on year that was supposed to start the climb out of the basement. Granted there is the injury discussion. Ilet his year is a right off let's just draft Mathews or whomever high draft pick we get this year recoup make some big changes on defense and try and take the elevator next year as opposed to the rickety old stairs that keep collapsing.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Luckily for me Baseball season is already under way. The transition from Oilers to Blue Jays has begun again this season.

Blue Jays should be decent again this year. Hopefully they can make the playoffs again.

Also, the first week of July is a great hockey week, especially for the Oilers. Fingers crossed for #1 pick again lol.

Same here. looking forward to the jays this year. Team should be right in the playoff hunt all year. If anything they should run away with it again. Full year of Stroman, no price, but best offence is back.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Hockey fan first, Oilers fan second.

I've really liked the Blackhawks since 08 as the up and coming team and Kane is my favourite player. Then when they knocked out Calgary AND Vancouver in 2009 I was like yeah... I like these guys. :laugh:
Didn't expect 3 cups but man what a great hockey club.

This year I'm kind of gunning for the Caps though. I'd love to see Ovie finally win. Overall I just watch for exciting matchups and try to enjoy the game. Something the Oilers are just not doing for me anymore.

Besides that, BPL and Champions League keeps me occupied until May anyway. Plus the Raptors and Jays are finally good too so that helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad