Who do you EXPECT to be Sabres Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not barnes, not boughnar.

I think the pegulas tend to over correct when things go wrong so they'll avoid the Sabres history hire.

Bills are soft, rex will build a bully. Bills undisciplined, McDermott will be Mr culture.

Sabres play too defensive under dan, hire phil to get the d involved in scoring.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I really have no idea. I don't think they will take the risk of promoting someone from the AHL or promoting an assistant from another team. If they did that, I would want Barnes, I think he'd be solid. But, the timing eliminates Barnes as a candidate as Dallas is in the playoffs. I don't see them hiring anything other than a former NHL coach that has a ring. I think their list probably had Quenneville at the top and that is why he moved so quickly to get rid of Housley with the FL job heating up.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm expecting Taylor, which I prefer to the dopey retreads like Vigneault, but they should be doing everything in their power to lure Keefe away from the Leafs.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Expect AV, still would prefer Krueger

I’ll be cautiously optimistic with AV- I can buy into the arguments in hindsight that undermine the reasons why he was fired twice. But I still think he rode all star goalies, not created some, and he isn’t getting that here in the next two years.

I gave Housley the benefit of the doubt for a year I can give AV that too. People forget how bad our players fundamentals were before Housley jumped on. They couldn’t make a pass and had no idea how to use their sticks off the puck. Problems now are mainly motivation and system, a much easier situation for a new coach to walk into.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We just had a guy that wasn’t a dopey retread.

How’d that turn out?
Not every situation is the same, so I won't say that. History just shows that retread coaches have a higher success rate than 1st year coaches. Especially those that have had success with multiple teams.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not every situation is the same, so I won't say that. History just shows that retread coaches have a higher success rate than 1st year coaches. Especially those that have had success with multiple teams.

Right.

That’s what I’m saying.

This team desperately needs GOOD experience behind the bench because they have none on the ice.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Wait, people are arguing for young inexperienced coaches after what we just went through. Seriously? Why would you not want a guy with NHL experience and NHL success?

Because Bylsma had both of those and we got equally burned on that deal.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

How’d that turn out?

Phil Housley's head coaching experience prior to his hire here: Stillwater High School, 2013 World Juniors.

I'm not lobbying for them to hire someone who hasn't had any professional coaching experience.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Can someone explain all the Boudreau talk? On the Minny board there is not a single comment about Boudreau possibly being fired. No rumors in the media either.

Is this just some fan wishfully hoping he would be fired so he can come to the Sabres and everyone else just going for it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

How’d that turn out?

Because one dopey non-retread represents all non-retreads...

Not to mention, the non-retread that was mentioned is nothing like Housley in any way. He actually has has experience being a head coach, a successful one at that, of a professional team.

The dumbest thing Buffalo can do is limit their options, but then again this is an ownership that continually does this, and management that does the same, so I’d expect them to do just that...

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Can someone explain all the Boudreau talk? On the Minny board there is not a single comment about Boudreau possibly being fired. No rumors in the media either.

Is this just some fan wishfully hoping he would be fired so he can come to the Sabres and everyone else just going for it.

The idea is them missing the playoffs for the first time in a long time + Boudreau not being hired by Fenton would possibly lead to him getting let go. I honestly don't expect him to get fired, nobody is really calling for it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I should clarify that I don't consider Quenneville a dopey retread. I'd take him a heartbeat. Peter Laviolette was a retread hire for Nashville. He's maybe the best coach in hockey.

Vigneault, Carlyle, Martin, McLellan, etc. These are the guys they should he avoiding.

I'd take Keefe or Taylor over any of these guys any day of the week.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
With the way things have been going lately? Claude the Trumpeter, most notable for his appearances in 1994 supporting the Buffalo Stampede.

Reactions: Chainshot

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Simple question. Who do you EXPECT to be the Sabres coach (not to be confused with who you WANT them to hire).

My leading candidates are Alain Vigneault, Jacques Martin, and Chris Taylor.

Follow up question: are you going to complain as we watch all the best available coaches being hired?
You should make a poll for your follow up question with the options: "yes", "yes" and "are you kidding? Of course!"

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I should clarify that I don't consider Quenneville a dopey retread. I'd take him a heartbeat. Peter Laviolette was a retread hire for Nashville. He's maybe the best coach in hockey.

Vigneault, Carlyle, Martin, McLellan, etc. These are the guys they should he avoiding.

I'd take Keefe or Taylor over any of these guys any day of the week.

I wonder if Q makes his decision after the draft lottery???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad