Speculation: Who do you call up after we make trades?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
SS is a below average skater as well.

If really like to see Lander play center between Yak and Perron just to see what he can do. Heaven knows we have seen enough of Gagner failing in that spot already.

I'll admit I was a little surprised with how well Gagner put up points last year.. but I really didn't think he could be this bad next year.

I won't be surprised if nobody takes Gagner and if nobody takes him I could see him becoming a compliance buyout.

We've got quite a bit of cap-space next season but another 4.8M off of the books means we can spend more money on goaltending, grit and defence.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
why would we call up anyone for Hemsky? He's not in the lineup now.

I really want Pitlick called up. I was under the impression that he was sent back down to recover from his injury. Since then Jones has played better but we've said before. Jones initiates contact because he has to being on a contract year, but Pitlick is a better skater, has a better shot and he loves to throw the body around.

I could see Pitlick being used in a similar way that Vancouver has used Burrows in the past. He's developing into a fairly responsible player and his size, speed and determination to win battles could be very useful in a top six role. He's not a talker that pisses everyone off like Burrows, but his physical play would annoy the opposition just as much if he was getting top six minutes.

Hall-Hopkins-Pitlick looks really weird right now. But it might make sense 2-3 seasons from now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really want Pitlick called up. I was under the impression that he was sent back down to recover from his injury. Since then Jones has played better but we've said before. Jones initiates contact because he has to being on a contract year, but Pitlick is a better skater, has a better shot and he loves to throw the body around.

I could see Pitlick being used in a similar way that Vancouver has used Burrows in the past. He's developing into a fairly responsible player and his size, speed and determination to win battles could be very useful in a top six role. He's not a talker that pisses everyone off like Burrows, but his physical play would annoy the opposition just as much if he was getting top six minutes.

Hall-Hopkins-Pitlick looks really weird right now. But it might make sense 2-3 seasons from now.

I would like to see it to but mainly because I don't like Joensuu anymore. It has nothing to do with Hemsky.

If anything I would like to see a line of Hendricks-Gordon-Hemsky for a while to see what they can do.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Move Smyth, Hemsky, N. Schultz, and R. Jones (if there are takers on him) by the trade deadline.

Gagner should be moved at the draft, if we trade him at the trade deadline GM's tend to focus more on the season they are having, but at the draft, you tend look at the player more as a whole of his career, which would serve Gagner better, also if he continues to put up points I'm thinking GM's will look at his poor play early in the season as mostly as an aberration due in large part to his injury.

Call-ups would be Anton Lander, Tyler Pitlick and Oscar Klefbom.

Any injuries on D I waive Potter and call up Fedun, any injuries at forward I call up Horak.

Line-up:

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Yak - Gagner - Perron
Hendrick - Gordon - Arco (I like Hendrick Gordon as a tandem but I don't think we get enough offense out of them if we don't have someone with skill and playmaking ability on the line)
Gazdic/Joensuu - Lander - Pitlick

Ference - J. Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Belov

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I get angry when Action plays. I can see that he works his ass off every shift but he's too slow and lacks the skills to play in the NHL. Reminds me of Jason Strudwick in his last year with the Oilers.

He's certainly not as good as we'd hoped, but he'd be fine for a while this season as the 13 forward in case someone gets hurt

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I would give Lander, Horak and Arco reps as the 2C. In terms of D, we have a ton of options. In order of my preference: Fedun, Klefbom, Davidson, Gernat.

Kulleroinen*

As long as Garbagebello stays away from the big club, I'm happy.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
For Gagner if he is traded I am assuming that Arcobello would take over that 2C spot for the rest of the season. However I would like to see Lander get some reps at 2C because he is someone that has always played 4th line and struggle on the offensive side of things. I would really like to see how he would do with some skilled players for an extended period of time.

If Hemmer gets traded I would like to see Pitlick come back up. Pitlick impressed me with his simple physical game. I think management will decide if Jones gets another contract by seeing how Pitlick plays. If they see that Pitlick is capable of playing just as well as him, Jones won't get another contract. Through Pitlick's small sample of 3 games I think he will be able to play just as well as Jones has recently.

For N. Schultz I think Fedun will be called up since he is the best defensemen for OKC but I do feel like Oscar Klefbom will get some reps at the very least. Klefbom has seem to have done much better as the season has gone on in OKC after a very slow start.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Lander and Pitlick are the only good forwards in OKC, so I'd think both get called up. I guess we could call up Horak if we're desperate, but I see him as an AHL guy only.

With Larsen and Ference back, we have an extra D already for N. Schultz. If we need another, I'd like to see Klefbom get a cup of coffee.

I also think there's a decent chance that Bryzgalov gets moved at the deadline, so Bachman would be back as the backup to Scrivens.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I would hope that if Gagner gets traded they are getting a legitimate NHL defence man back for him. If they trade him for picks than this organization might as well fold.

You don't spend that long developing some one than when there is term left on his deal trade him away for picks/prospects and take a giant step back when you want to compete now..

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we trade Hemsky, Gagner, and N.Schultz:

Hall/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Arcobello/Yakupov
Hendricks/Gordon/Jones
Smyth/Lander/Gazdic?

Ference/J.Schultz
Marincin/Petry
Belov/Fedun

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Regarding the op ....

Why do we trade three players and get no roster replacements back in return?
I guarantee that if all of Hemsky, Gagner and Schultz get moved that MacT will have some real NHL players coming back. We don't need more draft picks.
Acrobello plays center much better than Gagner does. He wins more face-offs, is much better at back-checking, is smart with how he uses his body and is an above average playmaker.

So yeah. I'd be ok with Having Acrobello play 2nd line center for the rest of the year. If we can't find someone better in the off-season being stuck with him would be much better than Gagner.
Is the pollution in PRC really that bad?

Arcobello is done here. He is not an NHL player. Its both funny and sad to see posters who still think he is.
And for those who think he's better than Gagner, I can only conclude air pollution must be eating their brains. :laugh:
I won't be surprised if nobody takes Gagner and if nobody takes him I could see him becoming a compliance buyout.
:dunce:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Regarding the op ....

I guarantee that if all of Hemsky, Gagner and Schultz get moved that MacT will have some real NHL players coming back. We don't need more draft picks.

Arcobello is done here. He is not an NHL player. Its both funny and sad to see posters who still think he is.
And for those who think he's better than Gagner, I can only conclude air pollution must be eating their brains. :laugh:

My god. What an ignorant statement.

No, I don't have any intention of living in overcrowded or polluted cities like Shenzhen, Haerbin, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Shanghai or Beijing.

There is no hope for Canada to dig itself out of the gutter until people learn to criticize their own nation before insulting others'.

Sure we can get roster players in return, but trade deadline isn't a good time of the year to get effective roster players off of teams that are buyers especially considering what we're selling.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Regarding the op ....

Hemsky and Schultz are both UFAs this year -> their only value is as rentals -> teams that need playoff rentals don't give up roster players (picks or prospects at best).

Gagner is the only one of the 3 that might return a roster player; however, unless he catches lightning in a bottle between now and the trade deadline, the team is definitely selling low on him.

In response to the OP, I would like to see:

- Hemsky to PIT for Despres + pick (I've been on that one for over a year now); even though Despres has regressed this year, I think it's mostly due to the fact that there's no room in Pittsburgh's top 6 for him. Plus, they have Pouliot and Maata, who have passed him on the org. chart.

- Schultz for a pick. Any pick, but hopefully at least a 3rd. I honestly don't think any team will give up more than that for him.

- I'd like to see the team keep Gagner past the trade deadline. Arcobello is okay on the 4th line, but I really don't want him as the 2nd line center for 20 games. If Gagner doesn't pick it up, move him at the draft.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hemsky and Schultz are both UFAs this year -> their only value is as rentals -> teams that need playoff rentals don't give up roster players (picks or prospects at best).

Gagner is the only one of the 3 that might return a roster player; however, unless he catches lightning in a bottle between now and the trade deadline, the team is definitely selling low on him.

In response to the OP, I would like to see:

- Hemsky to PIT for Despres + pick (I've been on that one for over a year now); even though Despres has regressed this year, I think it's mostly due to the fact that there's no room in Pittsburgh's top 6 for him. Plus, they have Pouliot and Maata, who have passed him on the org. chart.

- Schultz for a pick. Any pick, but hopefully at least a 3rd. I honestly don't think any team will give up more than that for him.

- I'd like to see the team keep Gagner past the trade deadline. Arcobello is okay on the 4th line, but I really don't want him as the 2nd line center for 20 games. If Gagner doesn't pick it up, move him at the draft.

If Despres were a right handed d-man he'd be a lot more attractive... we've got so many left handed d-men that it's maddening.

Ference, Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat and Musil to name a few. Let's say we have Nurse playing for us next year. Ference will be there for sure as well. That leaves way too much competition for one spot. It'll drive the d-men nuts! As good as Marincin looks right now you'd think it would take a trade for one of those other d-men to earn a spot on our team.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Despres were a right handed d-man he'd be a lot more attractive... we've got so many left handed d-men that it's maddening.

Ference, Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat and Musil to name a few. Let's say we have Nurse playing for us next year. Ference will be there for sure as well. That leaves way too much competition for one spot. It'll drive the d-men nuts! As good as Marincin looks right now you'd think it would take a trade for one of those other d-men to earn a spot on our team.

Honestly, I think Nurse is in junior next year (Pietrangelo-style), and Klefbom should probably stay in OKC for at least part of the year; if the team has 3 rookies on the roster it's a massive fail.

You're right though, this team needs a top-pairing right-handed defenceman more than anything else to push Petry and J.Schultz down the depth chart.

barto

May 17, 2002
Edmonton
agiftforwomen.com
When does Gagner's NTC kick in, though? If it's not until after the draft, then yeah, we could likely get more of a return then.

And also agree that at the trade deadline we're likely looking at prospects or picks rather than NHL players coming back, as anyone trading is wanting to add to their roster rather than subtract.

The key is to turn those picks/prospects into NHL players, or use them as assets to trade (in a package) for NHL players. Haven't done much of that the past many years...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00