Speculation: Who do you call up after we make trades?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So, let's say Gagner, Hemsky and Nick Schultz all get traded before the trade deadline? Which guys get stints up in the NHL to make up for this?

Gagner - Move Acrobello to 2nd line C. Bring Horak up to play 4th line C. If he totally stinks replace him with Lander. If Lander totally stinks have Smyth play 4th line C for the rest of the year.

Hemsky - Bring up Pitlick. Start him off on the 4th line. I bet he'll be stealing minutes from one of our third line wingers by the end of the year.

Nick Schultz - Bring up Gernat and give him at least 5 games regardless of how he plays. Send him down and bring up Klefbom. Give Klefbom a 3-5 game sniff. Send him down and bring Musil up for a 2-3 game sniff. If Gernat's play has noticeably improved since being sent down bring him back up. If not, give Larsen some games.

Thoughts? What would you do?

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
I would like to see Lander get some quality minutes at the end. Every time he goes back to the Ahl he does well. If arco can go second line for a bit why not lander to see? The season is lost anyway.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Fedun, Lander, Pitlick, maybe Horak, possibly Klefbom.

I'd happily have Fedun up to replace Belov or Potter right now. He's a right handed d-man, though. I couldn't imagine having Larsen get 3rd pairing minutes for the rest of the year, could you?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I would like to see Lander get some quality minutes at the end. Every time he goes back to the Ahl he does well. If arco can go second line for a bit why not lander to see? The season is lost anyway.

Acrobello plays center much better than Gagner does. He wins more face-offs, is much better at back-checking, is smart with how he uses his body and is an above average playmaker.

So yeah. I'd be ok with Having Acrobello play 2nd line center for the rest of the year. If we can't find someone better in the off-season being stuck with him would be much better than Gagner.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
I'd like to see Lander put on a skill line. For the past three years, he's been saddled almost exclusively with guys like Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, and Belanger. He's produced very consistently over the past year and a half with OKC; I'd like to see him in a position to succeed.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd like to see Lander put on a skill line. For the past three years, he's been saddled almost exclusively with guys like Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, and Belanger. He's produced very consistently over the past year and a half with OKC, I'd like to see him in a position to succeed.

So you're suggesting we give him a shot at 2nd line C in the event that Gagner gets traded? I don't think that he skates well enough to excel in that role. I'll give him credit that he's grittier than Gagner and Acrobello and that we need more of that in our top six, though.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
So you're suggesting we give him a shot at 2nd line C in the event that Gagner gets traded? I don't think that he skates well enough to excel in that role. I'll give him credit that he's grittier than Gagner and Acrobello and that we need more of that in our top six, though.

Possibly, I guess it depends on who's still here after the TD. Lander may not skate as well as some of our skill players, but as you said, he is gritty and also thinks the game pretty well. For some of this year, we've tried to spread out our scoring over three lines, so there could be some opportunity for him somewhere. If it's possible, I want him to be put in a position to prove that he's more than a 7 or 8-minute a game player.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Assuming it's those three who are traded and no roster players come back, you only need to call up Pitlick.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Arco-Perron
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Smyth-Pitlick

Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Belov-Larsen/Potter

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
So, let's say Gagner, Hemsky and Nick Schultz all get traded before the trade deadline? Which guys get stints up in the NHL to make up for this?

Gagner - Move Acrobello to 2nd line C. Bring Horak up to play 4th line C. If he totally stinks replace him with Lander. If Lander totally stinks have Smyth play 4th line C for the rest of the year.

Hemsky - Bring up Pitlick. Start him off on the 4th line. I bet he'll be stealing minutes from one of our third line wingers by the end of the year.

Nick Schultz - Bring up Gernat and give him at least 5 games regardless of how he plays. Send him down and bring up Klefbom. Give Klefbom a 3-5 game sniff. Send him down and bring Musil up for a 2-3 game sniff. If Gernat's play has noticeably improved since being sent down bring him back up. If not, give Larsen some games.

lol i totally misread the title. i thought you were curious on which one of my friends i call up to discuss hockey after the oilers make blockbuster trades haha :laugh:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Possibly, I guess it depends on who's still here after the TD. Lander may not skate as well as some of our skill players, but as you said, he is gritty and also thinks the game pretty well. For some of this year, we've tried to spread out our scoring over three lines, so there could be some opportunity for him somewhere. If it's possible, I want him to be put in a position to prove that he's more than a 7 or 8-minute a game player.

Yeah. And you know we could do Gordon between Perron and Yakupov on the 2nd line and give Lander 3rd line minutes. That's still and upgrade over what we've been giving him but I don't think that Joensu and Jones are the skill guys you're hoping to put him with.

Assuming it's those three who are traded and no roster players come back, you only need to call up Pitlick.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Arco-Perron
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Smyth-Pitlick

Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Belov-Larsen/Potter

That's correct.. but who wants to see that third line? If Belov's play doesn't get better soon I'd rather him be our #7 d-man on most nights. 3/4 nights I can't stand Potter's play and I never want to see Larsen play on the Oilers ever again. He's had 1 or 2 decent games this year and the rest have been tragic.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Let's say they trade:
Bryzgalov
Nick Schultz
Larsen
Jones
Smyth
Hemsky

Got a feeling they won't find a taker for Gagner in-season.

Then they'd roll with

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Yak-Gagner-Perron
Joensuu-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick

Apparently MacT is quite high on Curtis Hamilton, thinks he's a player for us potentially soon. If not, Horak or Lander may take a spot. EDIT didn't realize Hamilton is out 5-6 weeks

J.Schultz-Ference
Belov-Petry
Marincin-Klefbom
Fedun/Potter

Scrivens
Bachman

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's correct.. but who wants to see that third line? If Belov's play doesn't get better soon I'd rather him be our #7 d-man on most nights. 3/4 nights I can't stand Potter's play and I never want to see Larsen play on the Oilers ever again. He's had 1 or 2 decent games this year and the rest have been tragic.

They need to acquire some defensemen then.

Rushing Gernat and Musil into the NHL shouldn't be the solution to removing Belov, Larsen and Potter.

Apparently MacT is quite high on Curtis Hamilton, thinks he's a player for us potentially soon. If not, Horak or Lander may take a spot.

Pretty sure he just hurt his knee about a week ago.

He'll be out something like 2 months, iirc.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
No Musil or Gernat this year, neither are ready. Fedun, Larsen and Klefbom should get the minutes over them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Rushing Gernat and Musil into the NHL shouldn't be the solution to removing Belov, Larsen and Potter.

I'm not taking about rushing them. If we're going to miss the playoffs then lets give our NHL players a few stints in the NHL so that they have a better sense of where they've come along well and where they need to improve.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No Musil or Gernat this year, neither are ready. Fedun, Larsen and Klefbom should get the minutes over them.

I'm happy to give Klefbom some games, but his offence isn't clicking yet and he's yet to go a very long stretch without getting injured. I'm kinda shy to give him a long tenure in the NHL at this point.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Let's say they trade:
Bryzgalov
Nick Schultz
Larsen
Jones
Smyth
Hemsky

Got a feeling they won't find a taker for Gagner in-season.

Then they'd roll with

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Yak-Gagner-Perron
Hamilton-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick

Apparently MacT is quite high on Curtis Hamilton, thinks he's a player for us potentially soon. If not, Horak or Lander may take a spot.

J.Schultz-Ference
Belov-Petry
Marincin-Klefbom
Fedun/Potter

Scrivens
Bachman

I'll give Hamilton credit for playing a bit better this season and I love his size, but I'd honestly wait till next year... plus what did you do with Joensu?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Pretty sure he just hurt his knee about a week ago.

He'll be out something like 2 months, iirc.

Damn it you're right, 5-6 weeks, I didn't even see that before.

Sucks, MacT was hyping him around that time as a guy who he's seen improvement with. On my lineup, just replace Hamilton with Joensuu even though I think he could be traded too

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Arco-Perron
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Smyth-Pitlick

Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Belov-Larsen/Potter

I'd call up Klefa as well to give him a few games, and maybe Hamilton or Acton as a spare

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

Sounds good to me OP. Give all the young guys on the cusp a taste.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Man I didn't realize that Gernat got hurt again.

Is this just further proof that he needs to put more weight on before he gets a chance to play big minutes?

I almost wish we'd call him up after he recovers from injury and have him as a #7 d-man on most nights and have the trainers working with him around the clock for a few months to get his body mass up.

Have him playing extra long practices and playing maybe 1-5 games.

Very crazy outside the box idea. I totally understand if people violently disagree.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
SS is a below average skater as well.

If really like to see Lander play center between Yak and Perron just to see what he can do. Heaven knows we have seen enough of Gagner failing in that spot already.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd call up Klefa as well to give him a few games, and maybe Hamilton or Acton as a spare

I get angry when Action plays. I can see that he works his ass off every shift but he's too slow and lacks the skills to play in the NHL. Reminds me of Jason Strudwick in his last year with the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad