Who do work more, top soccer leagues' players or nhlers?

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I played competitive soccer and hockey as a teen. Nothing was more exhausting than the summer sun on a soccer pitch.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
and a pro soccer player who last 1 minute on the ice with their 160 pound frames. lot easier to run all day when ur not 200+ pounds.

This is an ignorant statement. As if every hockey player is huge or every soccer player is small.

These are some really small soccer players.

Romelu Lukaku Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
Matthijs de Ligt Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
Hulk Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Top 10 Heaviest Soccer Players in the World in 2020 - Welsh Premier (welsh-premier.com)

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
This is an ignorant statement. As if every hockey player is huge or every soccer player is small.

These are some really small soccer players.

Romelu Lukaku Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
Matthijs de Ligt Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
Hulk Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Top 10 Heaviest Soccer Players in the World in 2020 - Welsh Premier (welsh-premier.com)
yeah uve found a couple players in the world who play at a high level and are heavy. de ligt really isnt someone id even consider big comparatively speaking.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I think it's pretty clearly the footballers. Shorter seasons overall but when they play they're invariably on the pitch for 90 minutes for (in some cases) ~50 games a season and they only get 8 weeks off at the end of the season - less if there's an international tournament.

A full NHL season run of 110 games at 22 minutes is 2,402 minutes with frequent breaks. Even if you only play 30 full football games it's 2,700.

I don't think that this is just about gametime but training and all the other aspects that pro athlete needs to do. In the end, it's probably pretty close.

There is a reason why hockey players take a break every 40 seconds or so and it's not because they are worse athletes than football players... That's like comparing marathon runners to boxers.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The fitness demands of both are very different both both sets of players work as hard as each other. However those incorrectly saying football players stand around most of the time an easily be countered by pointing out hockey players are sitting down for 30-45 minutes of each 60 minute game (I disagree with both viewpoints btw). In terms of fitness though I’d saying footballers probably get more out of the work they do at the elite level as the sports science departments in football are light years ahead.

Where football does have it tougher in workload is the calendar. International tournaments are jammed in all over the place and it means players don’t get the off season time they need. They have to report for international duty and can’t pull out on the clubs say so. So even if they are not fit, according to their clubs that pay the wages, the international team can overrule them and insist the player reports. Players frequently play when half fit and get returned to their clubs with more serious injuries. Without proper off seasons plenty top football players, on successful teams, get injured due to fatigue. So I’d say that at the top le el football players have a heavier workload.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
yeah uve found a couple players in the world who play at a high level and are heavy. de ligt really isnt someone id even consider big comparatively speaking.

Kid has some really thick legs and fairly broad shoulders. Not unlike many NHL players.

https:%2F%2Fplayingfor90.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1142321553-850x560.jpeg

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
But only play 38 games.

In the Premier League, sure. In the Championship it's 46, plus the League Cup. Plus the FA Cup. Prem teams have Europe on top which can be another 20 games in some cases. Then you have internationals on top (another 10 a year) plus a tournament every other year which is usually 3 warm-ups plus 3-7 games in the tournament. Some teams play up to 60 games a season.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
What I’ve learned about this board is that despite it being a hockey board, it will always lose in a comparison to another sport.

Doesn’t matter whether it’s about popularity, ease to play, conditioning, good looks, etc.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What I’ve learned about this board is that despite it being a hockey board, it will always lose in a comparison to another sport.

Doesn’t matter whether it’s about popularity, ease to play, conditioning, good looks, etc.

You are correct. It's pathetic but true. Just remember this board is NOT a microcosm of hockey or it's fan base.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Both sports use different energy systems.

Soccer is much more aerobic whereas hockey is much more anaerobic.

The training thus is different for each sport. Soccer requires much more conditioning and cardio. Hockey is a more explosive sport. You need to train for strength and power to be effective.

Which is harder (or requires more work)....the answer is both. Just differently. The people saying hockey only requires 45-1 min shifts....well that is because the human system can only perform explosively for that long (for effectiveness). Think of jump training vs steady state cardio. All of us can use both forms of training but jump training will tire you out much more quickly vs steady state cardio. That is hockey.

Also someone mentioned something about soccer requiring more mental abilities.....I won't argue it here but I will state that hockey is one of the most demanding sports ever. It requires power, strength, balance (on skate blades), hand eye coordination and the ability to do this using a stick and players moving around you at super speeds (requiring ability to read and react at speeds much higher than many sports). The amount of multi-tasking required in hockey I believe is greater than all other sports.

ESPN did sports difficulty ranking many years ago. Hockey was #2 behind boxing (ESPN.com: Page 2 - Sport Skills Difficulty Rankings)

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Rugby is more exhausting then either of them, especially for front row forwards, but of all the different games I played (many), water polo was by far the most tiring.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Top end soccer players run a marathon per week if they have to play 3 games. This doesn't include practice.

The difference is that they have to mix aerobic with anaerobic exercise during games.

Soccer is also invariably a harder sport on the body with players having higher incidents of physical injuries than hockey players.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'd give it to hockey players personally. Footballers bitch and moan if they have to play more than one game a week mid-season and we all know about how soft they are - one tap and they're rolling around in faux-agony. Yes, they're typically in the 90 minute game from start to finish, but much of that is idling about. Hockey players do short, intense shifts but hockey places much more physical demand on it's players. Plus they play as many as 4 games a week.

Last point: Would you rather block a shot in football or hockey? I know what my answer is.

Really?

I've done this math in the past.

A soccer ball, which is multiple times heavier than a puck, travelling far faster than the hardest Chara snapshot recorded, has many times the kinetic energy.

The shots from some players have enough force to cause serious internal harm if taken on the chest or head.
Without padding!

That's a horrifically ignorant statement to make.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
No brainer it's soccer as they run 45+45 mins without rest with only 1 intermission; hockey players rest after every min of play and have 2 intermissions

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
For me soccer is harder, since its really punishing if you gain any upper body muscle.

In my hometown all kids played hockey or soccer. I feel like gigantic part of my friends who played soccer quit it because of knee or ankle injury.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Really?

I've done this math in the past.

A soccer ball, which is multiple times heavier than a puck, travelling far faster than the hardest Chara snapshot recorded, has many times the kinetic energy.

The shots from some players have enough force to cause serious internal harm if taken on the chest or head.
Without padding!

That's a horrifically ignorant statement to make.

Did I make a statement? Looks like a question to me.

Inadvertently blocking a shot almost killed Mats Zuccarello. Left him so messed up he had to re-learn how to talk. Blocking shots routinely results in broken bones in hockey. Does it in football?

I'm not saying taking a soccer ball to the head won't hurt/be dangerous, but they're not even remotely the same.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Not a whole lot but I have played it enough to know that it is at least 1000.08% less physically demanding than hockey. Any suggestion it isn't is preposterous. I live in Canada and we have the benefit of several different sport options so playing a child's game like soccer doesn't have much appeal for an athlete here.

It is a great activity for kids under 10 though, you can just throw a ball on a field and let the little guys run around to get in shape.

"soccer" is the highest participation sport in Canada and no, everyone playing isn't under 10. The best athletes don't play hockey, only the ones who can afford to play. Worldwide no one cares about hockey, the best athletes go into football, basketball, athletics, etc.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
"soccer" is the highest participation sport in Canada and no, everyone playing isn't under 10. The best athletes don't play hockey, only the ones who can afford to play. Worldwide no one cares about hockey, the best athletes go into football, basketball, athletics, etc.

I'm glad no one cares about hockey worldwide. I'm glad you agree with me about the cost of hockey being
so exorbitant. I think something should be done about it. I have some great ideas but what do you think?

I know not everyone playing is under 10, that's not even close to what I said.

btw - wasn't it just fabulous watching Canada win the WC again? That was quite the heart we showed once more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad