Who do we want to see back after next season?

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
That's not true though, that line has scored far fewer even strength points per game since Smith was put on it.

Well, that was to be expected.

When you compose our top line of our top 3-scorers, they're going to be the highest performing line.

But remember all the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth about the fact only our 1st line was scoring? This was Lavi's solution - move one of our top scorers to the second line at the possible expense of a bit of scoring on the first line.

Remember how we were all ready to give up on Colin Wilson? It's only this year that he's played up to the ability we thought he had, but had never really shown. The same may happen for Craig Smith. He may one day turn into the forward we hope he can be, but until then we get a solid 20-ish goal guy. I'm not saying Smith will ever be James Neal or Filip Forsberg, but he might get back to a 50-point guy, and if so, we should be thrilled.

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Well, that was to be expected.

When you compose our top line of our top 3-scorers, they're going to be the highest performing line.

But remember all the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth about the fact only our 1st line was scoring? This was Lavi's solution - move one of our top scorers to the second line at the possible expense of a bit of scoring on the first line.

Sure, but Smith clearly isn't a fit on that line, at least not at his current level/style of play. I'm not saying reunite the top line, I'm saying find a better fit, because right now Smith is terrible for that line. It doesn't even need to be a top line player, just someone who meshes better. Guys like Dale Weise, Patrick Eaves and other VERY mediocre hockey players are much more successful than Craig Smith on their respective top lines.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
The good thing about Smith is the effort level is there game in and game out. He really is flying around out there every game and is more aggresive on the forecheck than Ribs or Forsberg happen to be. I really think it is only a matter of time before he starts producing again.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
The good thing about Smith is the effort level is there game in and game out. He really is flying around out there every game and is more aggresive on the forecheck than Ribs or Forsberg happen to be. I really think it is only a matter of time before he starts producing again.

Effort is nice, but Smith has 2, TWO, even strength points in his last 13 games and only 3 points total. How long can we wait him for him to start producing?

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Effort is nice, but Smith has 2, TWO, even strength points in his last 13 games and only 3 points total. How long can we wait him for him to start producing?

The evidence would suggest if he's doing what he's supposed to do, and the line as a whole is producing, the coaches don't really care who is actually finishing the play.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
The evidence would suggest if he's doing what he's supposed to do, and the line as a whole is producing, the coaches don't really care who is actually finishing the play.

The line as a whole is producing much, much less at even strength though and I think Craig Smith is a big part of that, maybe he's snake bitten or maybe he just doesn't fit that line. Either way, I think he's dragging down Forsberg and Ribeiro right now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You get a cookie.
320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

* * *​
The line as a whole is producing much, much less at even strength though and I think Craig Smith is a big part of that, maybe he's snake bitten or maybe he just doesn't fit that line. Either way, I think he's dragging down Forsberg and Ribeiro right now.

Either that or defenses are focusing more heavily on that line. These things tend to happen now and again, y'know.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Either that or defenses are focusing more heavily on that line. These things tend to happen now and again, y'know.

How about when they're at home and get tons of offensive zone starts and play weak competition? Still not producing then...

Every line on the team faces tougher competition than Smith/Ribeiro/Forsberg, and that line also has the highest offensive zone start % by far, yet they are still failing to produce. Your statement is a nice deflection, but the numbers fail to back it up.

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
You lock up Wilson as he's doing what we all thought he could do. The kid is a power forward, just ask Mark Stuart. Those don't grow on trees. It took him a while to get to where he is and I would hate to lose him in a few years over a few dollars. You've got a coach that believes in him. You've got a player that believes in himself.

Anyone notice how much better as a team we played with him in the lineup than the two games without him? He has been as important as anyone in the lineup the last 30 games. He has stepped it up massively and with his confidence growing, he is only going to get better. He is a guy that makes plays shift in and shift out and makes those around him better.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
You lock up Wilson as he's doing what we all thought he could do. The kid is a power forward, just ask Mark Stuart. Those don't grow on trees. It took him a while to get to where he is and I would hate to lose him in a few years over a few dollars. You've got a coach that believes in him. You've got a player that believes in himself.

Anyone notice how much better as a team we played with him in the lineup than the two games without him? He has been as important as anyone in the lineup the last 30 games. He has stepped it up massively and with his confidence growing, he is only going to get better. He is a guy that makes plays shift in and shift out and makes those around him better.

He's been amazing over the past 30 or so games, exactly what we all hoped he could be when he was drafted. Hopefully he's able to keep it up over the rest of the season and into the future.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
He's been amazing over the past 30 or so games, exactly what we all hoped he could be when he was drafted. Hopefully he's able to keep it up over the rest of the season and into the future.

And not that I put a ton in to the plus/minus stat but he is a plus 23 for us. Not too shabby.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Fisher, UFA - 2 @ 3,500,000
Cullen, UFA - gone
Jokinen, UFA - gone
Wilson, RFA - 4 @ 4,250,000
Smith, RFA - traded or 3 @ 3,150,000
Ribeiro, UFA - 2 @ 3,000,000
Jarnkrok, RFA - 2 @ 1,750,000
Borque, RFA - traded/released
Beck, RFA - traded/released

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

I agree and the numbers back you and others up.

I want to keep Wilson, Fisher, Jarnkrok, and Ribeiro for sure.

stupid forum

Feb 14, 2015
Fisher, UFA - no (Sissons)
Cullen, UFA - no (Fiala, Aberg, or Arvidsson)
Jokinen, UFA - no (Salomaki)
Wilson, RFA - yes
Smith, RFA - yes
Ribeiro, UFA - yes
Jarnkrok, RFA - yes
Borque, RFA - no (trade at draft)
Beck, RFA - no (trade at draft)

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Wilson, RFA - yes
Smith, RFA - yes
Ribeiro, UFA - yes
Jarnkrok, RFA - yes

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off ... bold first post

stupid forum

Feb 14, 2015
That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off ... bold first post

I can explain

1-2 lines Fisher-Ribeiro can give us better outcome than Ribeiro-Jarnkrok

but it looks a bit a temporary decision - what I an afraid the most - ceasing of progress of both Jarnkrok and Sissons.

The centers Ribeiro-Jarnkrok-Sissons-Gaustad is a better long-term solution because 1 season can provide Jarn and Siss with experience needed.

Its risky yes but its our future.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Wilson, RFA - yes
Smith, RFA - yes
Ribeiro, UFA - yes
Jarnkrok, RFA - yes

Less than 0% chance Fisher is anywhere but Nashville next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad