Who do we want to see back after next season?

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Currenty, 9 of our fwds in Nashville are UFA or RFA at the end of the season with the list as follows

Fisher, UFA
Cullen, UFA
Jokinen, UFA
Wilson, RFA
Smith, RFA
Ribeiro, UFA
Jarnkrok, RFA
Borque, RFA
Beck, RFA

I don't think anyone expects cullen or jokinen back after this season. But we have a lot of young talent at RFA, as well as needing to resign Ribs and Fisher. Does anyone think that Poile can manage to retain most?

I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of Jarnkrok/Borque/Beck shipped in a deal at the draft, especially if negotiations on salary are stalling.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
All but Jokinen and Borque for me. Yes even Smith as long as we can move him down to he 3rd line where I think he can be effective. But righnow they have got o get him off Ribs line. He has been a boat anchor for that line 5 on 5.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Let's let Borque, Beck, Cullen, Jokinen go their merry way. Retain all others and deal for better talent. And for gods sake buy out Bartley, and waive Volchnkov. Ah screw it! total rebuild!

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Fisher, UFA - 2 years, $3,000,000
Cullen, UFA - bye
Jokinen, UFA - bye
Wilson, RFA - 5 years, $5,000,000
Smith, RFA - 4 years, $4,000,000
Ribeiro, UFA - 2 years, $4,000,000
Jarnkrok, RFA - 3 years $1,500,000
Bourque, RFA - trade
Beck, RFA - trade

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Fisher, UFA - 2 years, $4,500,000
Cullen, UFA - bye
Jokinen, UFA - bye
Wilson, RFA - 6 years, $4,500,000
Smith, RFA - 3 years, $3,750,000
Ribeiro, UFA - 2 years, $5,000,000
Jarnkrok, RFA - 3 years $2,000,000
Bourque, RFA - trade
Beck, RFA - 2 years $750,000

I think this will be close to what goes down. Jarnkrok will get the same kind of deal Smith and wilson got around his age. Ribs and fisher won't be cheap and they both have earned it. Ribs may even get a little more. Have to re-sign either Beck or Bourque as you have to have guys on the roster that are less expensive and Beck has been solid this year on the 4th line.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Cullen, UFA - bye
Jokinen, UFA - bye
Bourque, RFA - trade
Beck, RFA - trade

This, except Fish won't be less than $4 mil.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Cullen and Jokinen are old and done. I'd be OK with bringing Bourque back on a cheap deal. He's a pretty good third liner and has proved in the past that he can score with good players on his line.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Cullen, UFA - bye
Jokinen, UFA - bye
Bourque, RFA - trade
Beck, RFA - trade

This is a massive overpayment for Wilson and Smith. As RFA's this would put them in the 6 to 7 mil cat when they hit UFA. At this point neither are elite players and that's the money they would be due in two years. 3 mil tops for Wilson and with Smiths numbers this season he might get 2.75.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
They will both get more money if we buy out some of their UFA years.

I don't think Fisher is too worried about money, so I think he would actually take a discount to stay.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
While Smith and Wilson will be RFA's and not UFA's they will still comand a higher pay check than some think. We would be smart to lock them up long term and if that is the case they will get paid for those UFA's years. If Wilson and Smith were hitting the open market this offseason I would bet they would both get contract offers over 4.5m a year and Wilson with the way he is playing righ tnow could get offers around 6m a year. Elite players they are not but elite players on the open market would get 8-10m+ a year right now.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
While Smith and Wilson will be RFA's and not UFA's they will still comand a higher pay check than some think. We would be smart to lock them up long term and if that is the case they will get paid for those UFA's years. If Wilson and Smith were hitting the open market this offseason I would bet they would both get contract offers over 4.5m a year and Wilson with the way he is playing righ tnow could get offers around 6m a year. Elite players they are not but elite players on the open market would get 8-10m+ a year right now.
I think Smith's numbers are going to work against him getting a sizable increase, even if he's playing with the first line. Maybe a $1-$1.5M bump, but I'd be surprised to see more. Wilson is a tricky one, you want to lock him up based on his play this season, but you really hope it's not just contract year production. I think around $4M is fair, and maybe shorter on the term, to ensure he stays healthy and stays productive.

Consensus is to ditch Jokinen, which I'm fine with. Cullen could retire, but I'd be ok keeping him around at a much lower rate. I think you lose at least one of Beck or Bourque so that you can potentially free up a roster spot from a better version out of Milwaukee.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think Smith's numbers are going to work against him getting a sizable increase, even if he's playing with the first line. Maybe a $1-$1.5M bump, but I'd be surprised to see more. Wilson is a tricky one, you want to lock him up based on his play this season, but you really hope it's not just contract year production. I think around $4M is fair, and maybe shorter on the term, to ensure he stays healthy and stays productive.

Consensus is to ditch Jokinen, which I'm fine with. Cullen could retire, but I'd be ok keeping him around at a much lower rate. I think you lose at least one of Beck or Bourque so that you can potentially free up a roster spot from a better version out of Milwaukee.

I'd agree that Smith is hurting himself currently. He needs to get on tear if he wants a big bump. I still want to keep him, and it may work out in the Preds' favor if we get to keep him for less money than we or he anticipated.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Let's let Borque, Beck, Cullen, Jokinen go their merry way. Retain all others and deal for better talent. And for gods sake buy out Bartley, and waive Volchnkov. Ah screw it! total rebuild!

I'm on board for this as well. Beck isn't a bad player but he is nothing that special. I feel like Salomäki would at worse be another Beck...and obviously he could also be much better.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Bring back without a doubt: Fish, Ribs, Jarnkrok, Wilson

Bye Felicia: Cullen (great career), OJ

Curious case of: Craig Smith - He is ICE cold right now for a good period of time which is really hurting his stats. This will obviously hurt his negotiating position. Does he still have the cajones to ask for big bucks? Bring him back at a fair rate OR trade him in a package for an upgrade

Not sure what to do with: Bourque, Beck - Both are capable young bottom sixers however I think they have reached their max potential. There is a lot of talent with the Ads waiting to come up that should be able to be effective as these two. But it's nice to have depth at forward. I just don't know.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
The sheer numbers of roster players doesn't let us only dump Cullen and 0llie; if we did, we basically have 11 of the current 12 skaters, plus VS and Dickie. Regardless of dollars and the rest, surely we're creating at least 1 spot, if not 2, for the kids at Milw? Gotta' be some trades or non-signings.

Also, Ribs and Fish - likely for 2 years each. I suppose maybe you do that if Goose only has a year left, but man, that's making us pretty long-in-the-tooth down the middle.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
The sheer numbers of roster players doesn't let us only dump Cullen and 0llie; if we did, we basically have 11 of the current 12 skaters, plus VS and Dickie. Regardless of dollars and the rest, surely we're creating at least 1 spot, if not 2, for the kids at Milw? Gotta' be some trades or non-signings.

Also, Ribs and Fish - likely for 2 years each. I suppose maybe you do that if Goose only has a year left, but man, that's making us pretty long-in-the-tooth down the middle.

Agree! But I think both Fish-n-Ribs needs to stay, trade Goose/VB/GB for a pick/bag'o'pucks and bring up a couple of the young'uns.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
As well as the team is playing, Poile would be crazy to make wholesale changes in the off season. Let Jokinen and Cullen walk. Decide if Bourque is worth bringing back. Sign one free agent and fill the remaining one or two holes with rookies.

Any debate over bringing Smith back is comical. The guy is on our first line and is a RFA. There is 0.0% chance of Poile not re-signing him.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
As well as the team is playing, Poile would be crazy to make wholesale changes in the off season. Let Jokinen and Cullen walk. Decide if Bourque is worth bringing back. Sign one free agent and fill the remaining one or two holes with rookies.

Any debate over bringing Smith back is comical. The guy is on our first line and is a RFA. There is 0.0% chance of Poile not re-signing him.

He is on the first line, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be, he's dragging that line down. Of course Poile wouldn't just not sign him, but I would be ecstatic if they could trade him in a package for an upgrade.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
He is on the first line, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be, he's dragging that line down. Of course Poile wouldn't just not sign him, but I would be ecstatic if they could trade him in a package for an upgrade.

I wouldn't say he is dragin the line down. The line has produced with him on it. He simply isn't getting the points to show for it. Smith will get hot again and put some more points up. Hopefully he wait until the playoffs to do it. :)

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I wouldn't say he is dragin the line down. The line has produced with him on it. He simply isn't getting the points to show for it. Smith will get hot again and put some more points up. Hopefully he wait until the playoffs to do it. :)

That's not true though, that line has scored far fewer even strength points per game since Smith was put on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad