Speculation: Who do the Jets move at the deadline?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Sorry bud, but this season is over. The rest of this season is about next season and beyond.

Pulled truck's quote from another thread. I'm not as smart as he is so I'm not quite ready to give up yet (they're only two points off where I said they need to be at the end of December to still be in the game). But I confess I was thinking about this earlier this morning anyway and now that I can blame someone else I thought I'd start the thread.

Setoguchi?
Jokinen?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Expiring contracts (UFA)

Jokinen
Setoguchi
Thorburn
Stuart
Pardy
Montoya

Any or all of the above.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Would love to have that Setoguchi trade back. Didn't like it from Day 1. You don't move 2nd Round picks unless you're a Stanley Cup contender.

Setoguchi
Jokinen
Montoya

Are the only 3 who'll have a market. Everyone else should either be kept, or won't land you anything of value.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Would love to have that Setoguchi trade back. Didn't like it from Day 1. You don't move 2nd Round picks unless you're a Stanley Cup contender.

Setoguchi
Jokinen
Montoya

Are the only 3 who'll have a market. Everyone else should either be kept, or won't land you anything of value.

Because 2nd round picks have such a high success rate.... :shakehead

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yup. I would keep Gooch if he was willing to sign an extension, but any other expiring contract would be toast.

Really? I'd be more inclined to bring back Joker. If Joker is not brought back, we need someone to feel the middle 6 center spot. Even if Scheif can take the next step, we'll need a 3rd line center.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Really? I'd be more inclined to bring back Joker. If Joker is not brought back, we need someone to feel the middle 6 center spot. Even if Scheif can take the next step, we'll need a 3rd line center.

I don't dislike Olli. He has rebounded well, but I'd rather see the Jets go after somebody younger like Andrew Coligano. It is an age thing as much as anything for me.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Because 2nd round picks have such a high success rate.... :shakehead

Even a low success rate of 2nd Round picks absolutely schools the chances of a 0.53 PPG player over the past 5 years helping morph a team that's been bottom-10 in goal differential the past 2 years into a Stanley Cup contender, especially when said player is an aging rental.

I know where I'd take my chances.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It that 2nd rounder for Setoguchi a sunk cost? Or is there a chance he could be dealt for a 2nd at the deadline.

My feeling is that it would be more like a 3rd/4th, but you never know.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Regardless of success rates, throwing them away for a rental player doesn't make much sense for a non-playoff team.

It's not like we can't replenish him or someone else for a pick. Don't know about a 2nd, but I would think at least a 3rd.

I don't dislike Olli. He has rebounded well, but I'd rather see the Jets go after somebody younger like Andrew Coligano. It is an age thing as much as anything for me.

I agree. I just want someone back in a middle 6 spot.

It that 2nd rounder for Setoguchi a sunk cost? Or is there a chance he could be dealt for a 2nd at the deadline.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

You know, this year, Chevy might go into a real sell mode. Would like to bring back some assets for these guys.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Enstrome, Byfuglien,
Stuart and Bogo.

Our D is horrible.

After watching almost every game Jets 2.0 has played in I can say that.

There is no flow out of our D zone.
Time after time after time the first pass is to a man standing still on the boards with 2 opponents coverning him. or its to a forward who is facing the wrong direction on his off wing and has to take a backhanded stab at it. Or its reversed to no-one in particular, or it's in the forwards feet, or infront of him or behind him. or it's poorly wrung around the boards right to an opposing point man who gets a free pass or shot.

Toby Buff and Bogo rarely clear the crease when Pav's many many rebounds are given up, and Stuart who will has seemed afraid of the puck for most of the last 2 sasons. if it hits his stick it's off it in a heart beat, no thought, no plan, no precision.

watching Troba do all of those things, at 19 no less, and do them well, has shown me how bad our D really is, and how hard it is for the forwards to get any kind of grove going.

No wonder there is no puck support.

People harp on our scoring and poor forwards play ,and it might be true, but our forwards arent given much of a chance to get something going becaust they have no structure from the D.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Expiring contracts (UFA)

Jokinen
Setoguchi
Thorburn
Stuart
Pardy
Montoya

Any or all of the above.

Agreed. I would keep Seto and Joki for the right price. Depends what that price is compared to what the return at the deadline is.

The above are the "rental" pieces. Kane and Buff could also possibly be dealt to teams that also want to make a run, but see that they will have the room for them next season with the cap going to 71 million. At the TD, a lot of teams will have the cap room to take players on.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Enstrome, Byfuglien,
Stuart and Bogo.

Our D is horrible.

After watching almost every game Jets 2.0 has played in I can say that.

There is no flow out of our D zone.
Time after time after time the first pass is to a man standing still on the boards with 2 opponents coverning him. or its to a forward who is facing the wrong direction on his off wing and has to take a backhanded stab at it. Or its reversed to no-one in particular, or it's in the forwards feet, or infront of him or behind him. or it's poorly wrung around the boards right to an opposing point man who gets a free pass or shot.

Toby Buff and Bogo rarely clear the crease when Pav's many many rebounds are given up, and Stuart who will has seemed afraid of the puck for most of the last 2 sasons. if it hits his stick it's off it in a heart beat, no thought, no plan, no precision.

watching Troba do all of those things, at 19 no less, and do them well, has shown me how bad our D really is, and how hard it is for the forwards to get any kind of grove going.

No wonder there is no puck support.

People harp on our scoring and poor forwards play ,and it might be true, but our forwards arent given much of a chance to get something going becaust they have no structure from the D.

In all fairness Toby does clear snow from the front of the net between whistles

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Me too. Keeping this teams average age down is a good thing!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Who do we move....

Anyone and everyone as long as the return is deemed adequate.

There are no untouchables on this team, although there are players you can point to and say its highly unlikely they would be moved, but for the right price everyone is available.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Expiring contracts (UFA)

Jokinen
Setoguchi
Thorburn
Stuart
Pardy
Montoya

Any or all of the above.

This pretty much.

Lets say it will take 100 points to make the playoffs in the West.

The Jets have 50 games left.

The Jets need 70 of a possible 100 points to make the playoffs.

I would like to see the Jets continue to play their young players like Scheifele and Trouba and call up guys from the farm to see what we have.

jetkarma*

Said it when the cost to get a pending FA was brought up , I think it is very likely if we trade him at the deadline we get at least a second back . Maybe more.

There will be several teams clawing at the bottom to get the last couple of playoff spots , plus teams wanting that other piece , and of course any playoff team that may have an injury situation.

If he signs here then it was worth the cost , if he doesn't we have had him "free" for a year and still can recoup an asset. Pretty ok with that approach personally.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I trust Chevy with the picks. Clearly he feels that the upcoming draft isn't a very deep one, so the value of that 2nd traded for Setoguchi is diminished. When he felt the draft was a deep one, like the 2013 draft, he stockpiled picks. He's not just tossing around draft picks.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Setoguchi
Jokinen
Montoya

That's bull. If you think a player is going to help push you over the edge and get you into the playoffs, and you can get him for a 2nd you do it every single day. In the off season it was not too much of a stretch to think that Seto and his 20 goal capability would be the push we needed.

Playoff revenue and experience is worth it, hands down.

Regardless of success rates, throwing them away for a rental player doesn't make much sense for a non-playoff team.

We didn't know we were a non-playoff team in the offseason. We had every reason to think we would be right there and adding scoring depth only helps that

I think a team that needs a little extra scoring for their playoff push, or who are in the playoffs and want some injury buffer might give us a 2nd for him.

Only shot you'd have at recouping that 2nd Rounder is a package centered around Setoguchi, with spare parts around him. He won't warrant a 2nd on his own again.

Nice crystal ball you have there :naughty: . I am always surprised by what teams get for players at the deadline. I think there will be a market for Seto at the deadline. He's a vet, he's got decent speed and he can score.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
We didn't know we were a non-playoff team in the offseason. We had every reason to think we would be right there and adding scoring depth only helps that

Don't worry, the hindsight brigade will be around momentarily to refute that.

:sarcasm:

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
That's bull. If you think a player is going to help push you over the edge and get you into the playoffs, and you can get him for a 2nd you do it every single day. In the off season it was not too much of a stretch to think that Seto and his 20 goal capability would be the push we needed.

Playoff revenue and experience is worth it, hands down.

The statistics show the Jets weren't all that good last year.

GF%
47.1; T-21st in NHL with Edmonton

SF%
48.6; 20th in NHL

We could have debated ad infinitum whether this year's team might sneak into the playoffs. Guess what? So can 80-90% of the league prior to each season.

One thing the overwhelming majority can agree on is that this year's incarnation wasn't going to contend for a Stanley Cup. So what's the point of trading future assets that you can build around in the years that Stanley Cup window is open for a marginal upgrade that might help you to a 7th/8th seed into the playoffs in the best case scenario?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad