Speculation: Who did the Habs want with pick #19 at the draft?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think it was Rychel, mainly because of Bergevin's comment on draft day about ''crossing their fingers for 4 or 5 picks'' that McCarron would be there at 25, which tells me he was ahead of Burakovsky on their list. Rychel went 19th, so it would make sense they shifted into McCarron mode after that.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I think it was Rychel, mainly because of Bergevin's comment on draft day about ''crossing their fingers for 4 or 5 picks'' that McCarron would be there at 25, which tells me he was ahead of Burakovsky on their list. Rychel went 19th, so it would make sense they shifted into McCarron mode after that.

Yeah, could be. He also fit the team need of big, gritty forward..and more proven offensively than McCarron.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I suggest you have a look at the pictures he took for the draft :laugh: They're...hilarious in an odd way.

Kerby-Rychel-Alexander-Wennberg.jpg

Do tell..........

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The 2013 draft was heralded as strong and deep. If that's the case we should forget about the first rounders Bergevin was unable to acquire by moving up and view the Habs second round picks as late first rounders relative to other drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to better than a first rounder like Louis Leblanc, for example,

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
The 2013 draft was heralded as strong and deep. If that's the case we should forget about the first rounders Bergevin was unable to acquire by moving up and view the Habs second round picks as late first rounders relative to other drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to better than a first rounder like Louis Leblanc, for example,

I total agree with you. The picks in the 2nd and I will go as far as the 3rd round might look like we stole the draft in 2013 in 5 years.

hogtownhabsfan*

I think it was Rychel, but also Mantha is a possibility. Size, scoring, Quebecois....

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I heard through the grapevine that the Habs were not very high on Mantha and were happy he went before their pick(leaving a player they actually wanted).

Mantha, much like Grigorenko the previous season is exactly the type of player that they are trying to avoid with their top picks.

It is important that your top players and core of your franchise are comprised of character players who lead by example.

McPheesMoustache

No Scrubs...
Jul 11, 2009
Victoria
I total agree with you. The picks in the 2nd and I will go as far as the 3rd round might look like we stole the draft in 2013 in 5 years.

This.

It may turn out that Rychel becomes a better player than McCarron, but regardless it is highly doubtful that in 3-4 years we would trade McC, Fucale, and Lekhonen for Rychel and that is what it may have cost.

I think that had TT/Brogevin known who would have been available at their later picks they dont even bother calling.

Too many years of not getting to see TT do his thing with the second rounders which is where he seems to really excel at identifying underrated talent.

If anything I wouldnt have minded the Habs trading down to pick up an extra 2nd.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec

If you think about it Montreal got 3 first round picks this year in comparison to other years, McCarron, De La Rose and Fucale, I can really see McCarron making the NHL, De La Rose as a 2nd line/3rd line centre and Fucale at the starting goalie one day.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
As speculated. Bergevin tried to move up to get Morin at 11th oa. Flyers wanted him too much and declined trade offer.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=774&id=263861&lang=en

Ummmmm....

That is only proof of MB wanting to trade for the 11th pick and his offer wasn't sufficient to do so. It would clearly have nothing to do with Morin as MB could have only offered the 25th pick at the earliest in return.

The commentator was purely speculating and doing so very poorly it would seem.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Ummmmm....

That is only proof of MB wanting to trade for the 11th pick and his offer wasn't sufficient to do so. It would clearly have nothing to do with Morin as MB could have only offered the 25th pick at the earliest in return.

The commentator was purely speculating and doing so very poorly it would seem.
Well if you would have listened to Stephane Leroux or Martin McGuire comments during the draft, he did some comments about the Habs were holding their heads when the NJD traded their eight pick for Schneider.
Seems that the Habs were going to try to get Morin at 8th (but it could have been Horvat also).

There is also this interview with MB on RDS, where it was clear that he was interested: his body language was clear when the question was asked to him.
Also this audio with Martin McGuire and Samuel Morin:
Listen at 30 seconds.

When a lot of people from different sources hint at the same thing, it may very well be the case. Some sources are even from other towns...
Leroux knowledge about LHJMQ is really good and McGuire is following the Habs like no other.

One thing for sure: MB tried to move up in the first round many times.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Well if you would have listened to Stephane Leroux or Martin McGuire comments during the draft, he did some comments about the Habs were holding their heads when the NJD traded their eight pick for Schneider.
Seems that the Habs were going to try to get Morin at 8th (but it could have been Horvat also).

There is also this interview with MB on RDS, where it was clear that he was interested: his body language was clear when the question was asked to him.
Also this audio with Martin McGuire and Samuel Morin:
Listen at 30 seconds.

When a lot of people from different sources hint at the same thing, it may very well be the case. Some sources are even from other towns...
Leroux knowledge about LHJMQ is really good and McGuire is following the Habs like no other.

One thing for sure: MB tried to move up in the first round many times.

I always assumed it was horvat. There were rumors leading up to the draft that we were super high on him.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
In the video the narrator says: "when it became clear that Bergevin was interested in the same player as the Flyers, Holmgren politely declined."

Flyers then proceeded to take Morin, therefore proving that was the player the Habs wanted (after Horvat).

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I always assumed it was horvat. There were rumors leading up to the draft that we were super high on him.
Peut-etre les quatre, cinq pick avant, on s'est croisé les doigts
Listen at 18 seconds.

Morin rised a lot in the second half of the season.

McCarron also rised, I have heard a scout on 98.5 saying that McCarron improved a lot his skating in the second half of the season.

MB said that we addressed needs with our first picks.
As they picked at 25th, it is also possible that it was McCarron that was targeted with that pick.
After Columbus pick, there was 5 picks...

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Interesting insight into the draft; especially the "trade value meter" Karkolainen and Davidson referred to qwhen discussing San Jose's offer for #14. Said the offer of 20 oa, a second and a third was marginally better than the 14th...but they still turned it down when SJ offered the 20oa, 2-2nds and a 4th to move up 6 spots. They must have really liked Wennberg.

The second offer was #20 & two seconds for #14 and a 4th.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...Anybody even remotely considered the possibility of F. Gauthier being inbetween Rychel and McCarron? The WTK list was good, im just not sure it goes straight from Rychel to McCarron.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Isnt Rychel the loser who didnt go to the habs combine and stated he wouldnt want to play for Montreal?
Have fun in Columbus.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
...Anybody even remotely considered the possibility of F. Gauthier being inbetween Rychel and McCarron? The WTK list was good, im just not sure it goes straight from Rychel to McCarron.

Grant said in the McCarron thread that the Habs had DLR ranked ahead of Gauthier, so I wouldn't bet on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad