Speculation: Who did the Habs want with pick #19 at the draft?

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I remember reading something about Bergevin looking upset when Toronto took Gauthier, maybe it was him? :dunno:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
You can bet many names.
Gauthier seems like a good guess but Rychel could be a good guess as well.

We will know in time. Seems they also wanted Samual Morin.
I remember during the draft the trade with Vancouver.
Something happened between picks 8 and 10.
Maybe they were looking for Morin or Horvat.

We may know more in the future but there was quite a commotion among Habs management at that time.
Habs had a lot of second round picks and tried a lot to get a deal done.

It seems clear to me that MB tried to get many deals done to get higher picks in that draft.
But it did not work. So we have to wish that McCarron, De La Rose, Fucale and Lehkonnen end up better.

Very little information comes out of these draft.
Even back in 2009, we have no idea about the top 20 picks of the Habs.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I thought I read somewhere that Timmins had DLR ranked higher than Gauthier so I'd be surprised if it was him.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
No way in hell it was Gauthier. He was the one with the less upside in the whole 1st round. My guess is Kerby Rychel, similar style to Bo Horvat whom apparently we were very high on. Man I would LOVE to see that list, like where the hell where Morin, McCarron, De La Rose and Fucale on his list.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Grant pretty much told us that Timmins had DLR ahead of Gauthier.

Which once again re-affirms my belief in Timmins.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
I've heard from a few people who were on the draft floor that Bergevin was targeting F. Gauthier. Though I'm not entirely sold on this as I know for a fact both him & Timmins were celebrating when they saw McCarron available at 25.

I don't know if they thought McCarron would go earlier and wanted to make sure their pick was locked in, but the rumor is that when Gauthier was taken Bergevin was visibly upset scratching off a name on his list.

I'm personally not a fan of Gauthier at all but he'll have plenty of time to prove myself a few other of his doubters wrong. I'm quite happy with the 6'5 powerforward we drafted.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Personally, I think all of the rumours about it being Gauthier are from those who assume Montreal was after the big French guy. But nothing based on fact.

They had to know he was going to be gone in the 18-22 range as he was in every mock and he's exactly what a team like Toronto would look for. So at very least, I don't buy the whole "Bergevin was visibly upset when Toronto took Gauthier" crap. That's like walking off a dock and being visibly upset that you got wet.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Bergevin wanted Samuel Morin but after Philly took him he wanted Frederik Gauthier I am assuming, it was on record that they wanted Samuel Morin, basically the French Canadian Pronger, he would have been great with Tinordi or Beaulieu, Gauthier is a 3rd line big centre, maybe they wanted him.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Bergevin wanted Samuel Morin but after Philly took him he wanted Frederik Gauthier I am assuming, it was on record that they wanted Samuel Morin, basically the French Canadian Pronger, he would have been great with Tinordi or Beaulieu, Gauthier is a 3rd line big centre, maybe they wanted him.

Totally bang on w/ Morin, he was very high on the Habs list, and I was told by one scout "Can you imagine Crosby's line is on the ice and your up a goal; putting on Tinordi & Morin to shut them down? Arguably the best future shutdown pairing in the NHL"

So yeah Morin & Tinordi would have been awesome, and MB & TT knew that.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
No way in hell it was Gauthier. He was the one with the less upside in the whole 1st round. My guess is Kerby Rychel, similar style to Bo Horvat whom apparently we were very high on. Man I would LOVE to see that list, like where the hell where Morin, McCarron, De La Rose and Fucale on his list.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Personally, I think all of the rumours about it being Gauthier are from those who assume Montreal was after the big French guy. But nothing based on fact.

They had to know he was going to be gone in the 18-22 range as he was in every mock and he's exactly what a team like Toronto would look for. So at very least, I don't buy the whole "Bergevin was visibly upset when Toronto took Gauthier" crap. That's like walking off a dock and being visibly upset that you got wet.

I'm pretty sure the rumour came from Stephane Leroux on RDS :shakehead at draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad