Who deserves the most credit for helping establish a winning culture?

Who deserves the most credit for helping establish a winning culture?

• Jared Bednar

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Gabe Landeskog

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Nathan MacKinnon

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Joe Sakic

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yes I'm very serious and it's not disrespect at all. I love Rants but now you're acting like someone who looked at stats and highlights but didn't remember the games.

He was clutch but didn't play very well for most of the playoffs. If you ever have too much time in your hands you could dig for the GDT's and read what people who were watching the games live had to say about his play. You'll find a lot of "he's the worst player on the ice" followed later by "redemption" talks for the games where he scored.

Or you could also re-watch the games if you have access to them.

I remember fine (though I would like to watch the games again if I could find a way to watch them for free haha). I just wanted to show you all the plays he made in the playoffs.

It sounds like we just view the game differently. For me, the plays that he made meant that he was playing really well. Actually making those winning plays is the hardest thing to do in hockey. It seems extremely nit-picky to say that a guy didn’t play well when he put up so many points and came through on many occasions.

I feel like there’s a bit of a need to give MacKinnon all the credit, when that’s just not how it was at all. I don’t know, kinda seems like a double standard for Mikko and MacK. It’s not a slight to MacKinnon to say that he has some help on this team.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there's one player that might benefit the most from this layoff it's Mikko.

He had that bad shoulder injury that he likely would have come back too soon from for the playoffs. He also would have been playing with that high ankle sprain from earlier in the year, which is the kind of injury that can limit a player's effectiveness for a year or more.

With this layoff he'll hopefully be 100% and ready to dominate in the playoffs. I really think there's another level or two Mikko can get to. He's just the total package of elite skill, size, skating, vision, two way play, hard work, and character.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I remember fine (though I would like to watch the games again if I could find a way to watch them for free haha). I just wanted to show you all the plays he made in the playoffs.

It sounds like we just view the game differently. For me, the plays that he made meant that he was playing really well. Actually making those winning plays is the hardest thing to do in hockey. It seems extremely nit-picky to say that a guy didn’t play well when he put up so many points and came through on many occasions.

I feel like there’s a bit of a need to give MacKinnon all the credit, when that’s just not how it was at all. I don’t know, kinda seems like a double standard for Mikko and MacK. It’s not a slight to MacKinnon to say that he has some help on this team.

Rantanen did he needed to do, but I agree his overall play was lacking. He scored clutch goals which redeemed his play and at the end of the day goals and points matter more, but if he played up to his standard there's a good chance we don't need those clutch goals to begin with. Rants had a lot of turnovers and questionable plays in the playoffs, but he scored when it mattered.

There are very few games where Mack doesn't show up, I don't think there is a double standard - Mackinnon simply has a bigger impact on the ice regardless whether or not he's putting up points.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Rantanen did he needed to do, but I agree his overall play was lacking. He scored clutch goals which redeemed his play and at the end of the day goals and points matter more, but if he played up to his standard there's a good chance we don't need those clutch goals to begin with. Rants had a lot of turnovers and questionable plays in the playoffs, but he scored when it mattered.

There are very few games where Mack doesn't show up, I don't think there is a double standard - Mackinnon simply has a bigger impact on the ice regardless whether or not he's putting up points.

So, if Rantanen had played better than he wouldn’t of had to score, or set-up goals to help the team later on?

I never said MacK wasn’t the Avs best player. I just don’t agree that Rantanen didn’t play well. I think he’s getting underrated in a big way.

How can a guy that led the team in playoff points not be considered a big factor in helping the team?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
There's no real wrong answer. No one guy can create a winning culture.

MacKinnon is the kind of guy who refuses to take an L and will carry the team on his back at any point when needed. He steps up when needed most and has an intense passion for winning.

Rantanen really helped MacKinnon come into his own by providing a competent, consistent, and cohesive line mate for the man. He doesn't need to be stuck on a line with MacK in order to be useful.

Lando and EJ both could have requested a trade to greener pastures during the dark times but wanted to turn this team around.

Bednar is the kind of coach who you want to play for and win with. His calm demeanor really helps keep the team settled and ready to get over that next obstacle. He could have easily been sent packing after his first year but he kept trucking along and helped this team become what it is today.

Then there's Sakic who has worked magic from the office. He has managed to not only find good hockey players, but he's managed to find the right hockey players for this team.

Let's not forget the depth guys like Calvert, who aren't just complacent being in the NHL and really make the bottom-6 run smoothly.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Kind of shocked and awed that Mackinnon isn't leading by a wide margin

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So, if Rantanen had played better than he wouldn’t of had to score, or set-up goals to help the team later on?

I never said MacK wasn’t the Avs best player. I just don’t agree that Rantanen didn’t play well. I think he’s getting underrated in a big way.

How can a guy that led the team in playoff points not be considered a big factor in helping the team?

There are plenty of players that can contribute to the score sheet but are considered negative impact players overall.

In the playoffs Rantanen had many unforced errors with a few highlight reel plays. We saw how good Mikko could play earlier in the season and he could flat out dominate games, and he wasn't close to that in the playoffs. At the end of the day Mikko knows how to score goals and that's what matters, he was just disappointing relative to expectations.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There are plenty of players that can contribute to the score sheet but are considered negative impact players overall.

In the playoffs Rantanen had many unforced errors with a few highlight reel plays. We saw how good Mikko could play earlier in the season and he could flat out dominate games, and he wasn't close to that in the playoffs. At the end of the day Mikko knows how to score goals and that's what matters, he was just disappointing relative to expectations.

I just don’t agree with that assessment at all and I think we’re at an impasse haha

Here’s to hoping for a long playoff run

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
<----

Based on this thread the coach doesn't get nearly enough credit. And to be honest, I think he's fine with that.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Sakic AINEC

Built the team, hired the staff and his outstanding permance over the last few years has made the Avs into one of the best teams in the league.

There is no other person that even comes close.

Reactions: 5280

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad