Who deserves the most credit for helping establish a winning culture?

Who deserves the most credit for helping establish a winning culture?

• Jared Bednar

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Gabe Landeskog

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Nathan MacKinnon

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Joe Sakic

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I understand the Avs haven’t won anything of substance yet, but they’ve definitely been winning more games the past couple years.

Who do you think deserves the most credit for helping establish a winning culture?

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Stan Kroenke

It all starts at the top, right :naughty:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Tough call, but I say MacKinnon. He's one of the fiercest competitors in the league, and his work ethic and dedication seem to run off on everyone else. Landeskog is a close second because I think he serves as the level headed yin to MacKinnon's yang.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Landy. He wanted to stay and keep fighting for team, regardless of the losing. Mack is a close second for his tenacity and relentless attitude.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The answer could eventually be Sakic. Hell, if they win a cup this year it’s probably Sakic. However any success prior to this year wasn’t exactly all thanks to Sakic. It was mostly Mackinnon. Those two playoff series’ last year were all Nathan Mackinnon. Same with the prior season when he should have won the Hart for dragging that team into the playoffs.

as we go forward we’ll see the contributions of Girard, Makar, Burakovsky, Byram, Bowers, Graves etc but up to this season we need to thank Nathan Mackinnon for establishing a winning culture with the Avs (ironically the exact moment they traded a total loser).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I love Sakic. My all-time favourite athlete, but he’s not the one on the ice, or in the locker room every day.

You can give him credit for bringing in the right players and coaches, but it’s the guys around the team on a daily basis that set the culture.

I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that once MacKinnon took charge of the team, success started to follow. Landeskog is an underrated part of the culture though. You can tell he’s a huge part of why the locker room is so strong and there is chemistry. Rantanen is an on-ice leader. He makes a statement with his game and gives the group confidence through his play. It’s easy to forget he was the one who led the team in points in the last playoff.

Maybe I don’t give Bednar enough credit, but I’m not sure I see him as the culture setter. He deserves a lot of props for his management of the bench, particularly this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sakic gets my vote.

Dude is just a winner. Took a little while to learn the ropes of being a GM, but he has made tremendous moves the last few years surrounding this team with talent. And you just know when these guys have conversations every day with Joe, they're coming out of every conversation a better player then they were before.

Guy is a legend and when he talks the guys are listening to what he says. Mack and Landy have both been instrumental in turning the tide as well, they've been confident guys who believed in this team and themselves for a while now. But I'd say for certain it was Joe Sakic who was the one who got these guys to buy into the plan way back in 2016/17 when things were basically as dark as it gets for a franchise.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I love Sakic. My all-time favourite athlete, but he’s not the one on the ice, or in the locker room every day.

You can give him credit for bringing in the right players and coaches, but it’s the guys around the team on a daily basis that set the culture.

I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that once MacKinnon took charge of the team, success started to follow. Landeskog is an underrated part of the culture though. You can tell he’s a huge part of why the locker room is so strong and there is chemistry. Rantanen is an on-ice leader. He makes a statement with his game and gives the group confidence through his play. It’s easy to forget he was the one who led the team in points in the last playoff.

Maybe I don’t give Bednar enough credit, but I’m not sure I see him as the culture setter. He deserves a lot of props for his management of the bench, particularly this season.

I agree. I haven't played professional sports but watching The Last Dance really shows the importance of a player like Mackinnon. Sakic is the reason why we have all the pieces together, but in the end it's the players and the leadership core that pushes players and teams to succeed.

Mackinnon willed this team out of mediocrity, Sakic wouldn't be getting nearly as much credit if Mackinnon didn't carry the team through the first half of the 2017-18 season.

I think Bednar plays a big part in setting the culture and I also think he's part of the reason why we have so many players rebound on this team. It's up to the leadership core to make new players comfortable in the locker room and city, but Bednar is the one that helps them regain their confidence on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jared Bednar.

Nathan MacKinnon didn't become a top 5 player in the NHL until Bednar got here and helped him calm down and stay even keel, rather than boiling hot all the time, and then getting down on himself when he didn't perform like he was capable.

Joe Sakic has made some really good secondary moves to improve the blue line and add depth, and along with Hepple and his staff made some good draft picks in Makar and Rantanen that are helping the team, but it's still being led by more or less the same core that's been here a little while now. Joe's been the same winner he's always been but that didn't turn this team into a consistent winning team until Bednar got here.

Landy is one of the best captains in the league (maybe even the best though I'm biased), but he was just as great a captain when they were losing. They just didn't have a good team, they didn't play a good two way game like they do now, and they didn't know how to win yet.

Bednar is the guy who is getting the absolute most out of almost every player. He's the guy who's helped Nate, Landy, Burakovsky, Donskoi, Bellemare etc have career years. He got great years out of guys like Comeau and Calvert.

I think he probably played a big role in helping Girard get through a really rough first half of the season, and help guide him to a great second half, instead of struggling all year. I think he probably helped Makar make a smooth transition in the NHL as well. Cale got better almost every game as he learned the details Bendar and Pratt were instilling in him.

He's the guy that seems to hit every pitch that's sent his way in terms of getting the most out of his players. The only exception is Zadorov where his tough love approach has backfired IMO.

This team plays a super confident, very detailed, two way game. It doesn't get overly emotional when the other team is playing overly physical or crossing the line. They don't ever seem like they can't come back in games. And the players are getting more skilled, more detail oriented, and just downright better each and every year under his tutelage.

He just never stops coaching. A lot of players would tune out his constant coaching on the bench in between shifts, but everyone seems to be very attentive when he speaks with them, and they all really seem to love playing for him.

Bednar has his flaws like his constant lineup changes, his overly critical approach with Z, and being too stubborn to make adjustments to his system, but I don't think any one person in the organization has played as big a role in turning this team into a Cup contender and creating the winning culture they have now as he has.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I voted Sakic because since he took over sole GM duties this team has begun winning (apart from the season that shall be unnamed) but it takes more than just one person to do this. Players like Lando and EJ publicly wanting to stay and be part of the solution in the bad times, Sakic for building the right way, Bednar seemingly being liked a lot helping the culture and Mack leading the team with his on ice play.

a winning culture takes a team

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't see how it couldn't be Sakic. Yes, we have Mackinnon, Landeskog, and Johnson as good leaders, but their leadership ability would amount to very little without putting the right guys around them.

Sakic has brought in guys with a winning attitude with almost every acquisition he's made - most importantly with Bednar who has previously won the ECHL Kelly Cup and the AHL Calder Cup as coach.
  • Ian Cole - 2x cup champion with Pittsburgh
  • Bellemare - cup final with Vegas
  • Nieto - cup final with San Jose
  • Donskoi - cup final with San Jose
  • Burakovsky - cup champion with Washington
  • Grubauer - cup champion with Washington
  • Wilson - cup final with Nashville
Also consider the draft pedigree of players brought in. Cole; Burakovsky; Nichuskin; Namestnikov; Kadri; and Wilson were all 1st round picks, suggesting that they are players who scouts trusted from an early age due to not only skill, but also a certain level of leadership ability, work ethic, and professionalism.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't see how it couldn't be Sakic. Yes, we have Mackinnon, Landeskog, and Johnson as good leaders, but their leadership ability would amount to very little without putting the right guys around them.

Sakic has brought in guys with a winning attitude with almost every acquisition he's made - most importantly with Bednar who has previously won the ECHL Kelly Cup and the AHL Calder Cup as coach.
  • Ian Cole - 2x cup champion with Pittsburgh
  • Bellemare - cup final with Vegas
  • Nieto - cup final with San Jose
  • Donskoi - cup final with San Jose
  • Burakovsky - cup champion with Washington
  • Grubauer - cup champion with Washington
  • Wilson - cup final with Nashville
Also consider the draft pedigree of players brought in. Cole; Burakovsky; Nichuskin; Namestnikov; Kadri; and Wilson were all 1st round picks, suggesting that they are players who scouts trusted from an early age due to not only skill, but also a certain level of leadership ability, work ethic, and professionalism.

It’s important to have guys like that, but a teams culture is set more by it’s top players imo.

MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Rantanen set the tone for all other players on the roster.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Obviously Joe Sakic did a lot for that but for players I'd say EJ,Landeskog and Mack all played a huge part in that. EJ is often forget when we talk about leaders and important players in this club.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Without Nathan Mackinnon the Avs likely have a losing record prior to this season. Sakic’s done an incredible job and as the team continues to succeed more and more of the success will be put on his shoulders. However prior to this season the Avs won because of Nathan Mackinnon. The winning culture could not be created without winning games.

Joe Sakic has a chance to be the architect of a perennial Stanley Cup contender but prior to this season the Avs don’t have any recent success if it isn’t for Nate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad