Line Combos: Who comes out of the line up when fully healthy (playoffs)

Who comes out?

• Total voters

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Have thought about it

Galch-Matthews-Marner - overpowering offense
Foligno-Tavares-Hyman - greasy, grindy, hem you in and score 1st line quality matchup line
Kerfoot-Engvall-Nylander - our version of Pittsburgh's HBK line, matchup nightmare for opposition
Soup-Nash-Simmonds- traditional grind out 4th line

Depending on the opposition I'd be tempted to but Spezza at 3C and hope for some lightning in a bottle. He deserves to play.

Maybe Nylaner-Kerf- Spezza with Spezza taking the draws, play Soup up every once in a while to keep Spez rested

That looks really interesting. For the 3rd line, I'd prefer Nylander - Kerfoot - Mikheyev but yea, there's a lot of options there.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I don't see Thornton coming out. Even though he hasn't been great, he's a locker room guy and it'd send the wrong message to guys signing here for cheap to play for their hometown. Guys like Spezza and Simmonds are invaluable with how much we pay our big boys. Nash will just be coming off injury come playoff time, so likely be hard for him to crack the lineup if we are clicking along. Lines as of right now imo:
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Matthews and Marner can work with almost anyone, but this gives them a Hyman type that will bring playoff leadership to these young bucks and stick up for them if push comes to shove.
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman is familiar with both Tavares and Nylander, and gives them the kind of guy that line has sorely missed at times, Hyman himself.
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Simmonds
This line has all the makings of an absolute pain in the rear. Galchenyuk has been annoying on the forecheck and a pleasant surprise to just about all of us fans. Him and Kerfoot can both fly and one is a natural shooter and the other a natural passer. Both like to get in a dig for the puck. Top it off with a fan fav like Simmonds mixing it up in there and this line could really annoy teams.
Thornton-Spezza-Mikheyev
The old Toronto boys continue to play together as they have been recently. Two guys that want a cup bad. Spezza has been great, Thornton has slowed but come playoff time, you may see how bad he really wants it. Both will stick up for themselves in playoff hockey. Add in a defensively responsible winger who can fly, Mikheyev, and this is a lethal fourth line.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gally - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

is the most likely lineup I think

I'd swap Hyman and Foligno but I think this is it...

Engvall probably comes out as he's been inconsistent despite having some good tools. Although I don't know if that fourth line has the speed Keefe would want.

Really hard to tell right now. Seems like a logjam of forwards.

Reactions: saffronleaf

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Have thought about it

Galch-Matthews-Marner - overpowering offense
Foligno-Tavares-Hyman - greasy, grindy, hem you in and score 1st line quality matchup line
Kerfoot-Engvall-Nylander - our version of Pittsburgh's HBK line, matchup nightmare for opposition
Soup-Nash-Simmonds- traditional grind out 4th line

Depending on the opposition I'd be tempted to but Spezza at 3C and hope for some lightning in a bottle. He deserves to play.

Maybe Nylaner-Kerf- Spezza with Spezza taking the draws, play Soup up every once in a while to keep Spez rested
This team is loaded with options now. Crazy.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Gally - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds

is the most likely lineup I think
I'm just thinking what works.

- Nylander and Tavares hasn't really worked although it would make things more simple if it did. They have been ok at times but not elite chemistry.

- Hyman with Mikheyev and Engvall as a shutdown line we know works. They completely shutdown Edmonton for 3 straight games.

- Matthews with anyone works.

- Marner with anyone works.

- Galy in the top 6 playing with good players works. He's had chemistry with Nylander and Matty/Marner.

Tavares and Folingo could work. They're both 2-way. Should be tested but I hyopeothzie it would work. Tavares works with Marner and seems like the only guy who can get him going at a higher level.

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Nylander
Folingo - Tavares--Marner
Hyman - Engvall - Mikheyev

That's my top 9 with Kerfoot, Nash, Simmonds and Spezza for the 4th line.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
It was one game but you don’t mess with it....

Gally Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Mikehyev
Foligno Kerfoot Nylander
Simmonds Nash Spezza

Engvall/Thornton in for Nash

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't see Thornton coming out. Even though he hasn't been great, he's a locker room guy and it'd send the wrong message to guys signing here for cheap to play for their hometown. Guys like Spezza and Simmonds are invaluable with how much we pay our big boys. Nash will just be coming off injury come playoff time, so likely be hard for him to crack the lineup if we are clicking along. Lines as of right now imo:
Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Matthews and Marner can work with almost anyone, but this gives them a Hyman type that will bring playoff leadership to these young bucks and stick up for them if push comes to shove.
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman is familiar with both Tavares and Nylander, and gives them the kind of guy that line has sorely missed at times, Hyman himself.
Galchenyuk-Kerfoot-Simmonds
This line has all the makings of an absolute pain in the rear. Galchenyuk has been annoying on the forecheck and a pleasant surprise to just about all of us fans. Him and Kerfoot can both fly and one is a natural shooter and the other a natural passer. Both like to get in a dig for the puck. Top it off with a fan fav like Simmonds mixing it up in there and this line could really annoy teams.
Thornton-Spezza-Mikheyev
The old Toronto boys continue to play together as they have been recently. Two guys that want a cup bad. Spezza has been great, Thornton has slowed but come playoff time, you may see how bad he really wants it. Both will stick up for themselves in playoff hockey. Add in a defensively responsible winger who can fly, Mikheyev, and this is a lethal fourth line.
I would switch Simmonds and mikheyev unless Simmonds gets his scoring touch back

Reactions: saffronleaf

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Should be Thornton will be Engvall. Think we end up with this

Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Simmonds Thornton Spezza

That was the 3rd line Keefe wanted at the start of the year. I could see Galchenyuk and Foligno swapped in the top 6 though.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Simmonds Thornton Spezza

That was the 3rd line Keefe wanted at the start of the year. I could see Galchenyuk and Foligno swapped in the top 6 though.
But Nash will play so Thornton or Simmonds sits

Reactions: CelticDruid

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Kerfoot - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Nylander - Mikehyev
Foligno - Tavares - Hyman
Simmonds - Nash - Spezza

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Simmonds Thornton Spezza

Swap Hyman and Mikheyev so they can receive passes in transition, Nash in for Thornton

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Simmonds Thornton Spezza

I wonder if they may try this line as a shut down line.

Foligno Kerfoot Hyman.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Foligno-Simmonds
Thornton-Kerfoot-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Bogosian

Campbell-Andersen

Give Thornton a bunch of rest heading into the playoffs

Reactions: Teeder Keon

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
As of right now Jumbo is out, but I don't think they are done and will move out a forward.

Gally Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Engvall Hyman
Simmonds Nash Spezza

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Pierre Engvall is 6'5. Plays defense, is one of the fastest skaters on this team, and has chemistry with everyone in the bottom 6.

Do you really think he's coming out of the lineup?

Recently, his playmaking has improved. He's basically a lesser version of Mikheyev.

Whilst Thornton ... doesn't do anything. He doesn't skate, play D, or generate any offense. Jumbo can travel with our team and rot in the press box for all it matters.

I don't know if you guys are too hammered to realize that Jumbo is a complete liability on the ice.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Thornton. Could be Simmonds. Could even see Galchenyuk playing his way out.

Not committed to any of those guys. Whoever is playing the best at the current time should be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad