Who comes out of the East?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Now, let's break this down. The east is loaded this year, particularly the Metro. We all know the playoff history of the Washington Capitals despite their regular season dominance, we know about the defending champs lead by Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, we know how the Rangers have fared in the playoffs, and now the Blue Jackets are on the come up.

Moving on to the Atlantic. It is so goddam weak this year. The division leading Canadiens would be FIFTH if they were in the Metro. They're a fluff team with little to no depth. Ottawa can make it interesting, I don't know if the Bruins are even going to make the playoffs (see standings, points, and Games Played), and now we have the Maple Leafs on the rise who can also do some damage believe it or not.

That being said, which team is going to represent the Eastern Conference in the SCF?

Thoughts.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Pens/Caps. Really hope it's the Caps. Obviously, I'd prefer the Rangers, but I don't see it barring some amazing trade and Lundqvist playing out of his mind.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Whoever survives between Pittsburgh/Washington/NYR. I see it as a game of rock/paper/scissors where NYR beats Washington, but Pittsburgh beats NYR. And historically I don't recall Washington beating either team in the playoffs in the past few tries. Some will say "different year different Caps team," but that's what they say every season and the Rangers somehow always find a way to beat them.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Whoever survives between Pittsburgh/Washington/NYR. I see it as a game of rock/paper/scissors where NYR beats Washington, but Pittsburgh beats NYR. And historically I don't recall Washington beating either team in the playoffs in the past few tries. Some will say "different year different Caps team," but that's what they say every season and the Rangers somehow always find a way to beat them.

I don't see the Rangers beating the Caps. People need to stop holding teams like the 09 or 10 team against them. The team as currently constituted really mostly existed only last year, the last two years at best, and they're probably better. The Caps last year lost to a buzz saw that was Pittsburgh that got some luck on their side. I went to game 3, I think between the Pens and Caps, the Pens were dominated, but lucked into a win. Honestly, that series was a coin flip and the Caps were the team that had less momentum and luck. Only team that could hang with the Pens last year in the playoffs. Two seasons ago the Caps really should have beaten the Rangers in 5. But regardless the Caps lost to the Presidents' Trophy winners in overtime of game 7. The Rangers that series were the luckier team also. And that was not nearly the team this team is and I think that Rangers team was better than this one. I'll be shocked if the Rangers win more than 2 games against the Caps in a playoff series.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Ottawa, and then everyone will go on to complain that Boucher's style of coaching sucked all the fun out of playoff hockey. :sarcasm:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Toronto is volatile. If they match up with a heavy possession team they'll get swept, but they're so explosive they could surprise against teams like Ottawa, Philly, etc..

Overall, the Atlantic is wide open. A team from the Metro will be heading to the SCF.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I think it's one of the Penguins or Capitals.. Depends on the Penguins health, if they are healthy they have a shot at winning that series.. if not.. oh boy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Whoever wins the Metro. I rather be 4th in the Metro and play the top team in the Atlantic. Better chance to get to the Finals.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Big 4 ?

Sid, Kris, Geno and Phil ?

Ovi, Backstrom, Holtby and Carlson
Price, Pac, Webs and Rads
Atkinson, Jones, Werenski, Bob
Hank, Stepan, McDonagh, Hayes/Miller

All are good enough top four.

Pens big four is significantly better than your examples.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Big 4 ?

Sid, Kris, Geno and Phil ?

Ovi, Backstrom, Holtby and Carlson
Price, Pac, Webs and Rads
Atkinson, Jones, Werenski, Bob
Hank, Stepan, McDonagh, Hayes/Miller

All are good enough top four.

I'd say Galch over Rads, and Saad/Wenn over Were/Bob, but get your point. Pitt does have the BEST of the big 4s. (If healthy, Stammer+Heddy+Kuch+JD would be better)

As usual, it's ya boy Jonathan Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad