Who benefited the most ($ wise) from a fluke season / playoff performance?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
A case could be made for Joel Ward, although he did manage to put up one or two nice seasons after his playoff badassery in 2011.

Another Ward who benefited from a playoff run is Joel Ward. 7 goals and 13 points in 12 games for Nashville. Signs a 4 year, $12 million dollar contract. Not as bad as some of the others but I still thought for his regular season production, he was about $1-1.5 million overpaid.

Joel Ward definitely got an inflated contract based on one playoff performance, but I think he ended up being decent value for the contract. Really, there's only one problem year, but 2/4 seasons were 0.5 ppg, which is very good value for the money (the other season was at his normal 30-35 pts per season). He also performed well in the playoffs, which is the entire reason he was brought in.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
My first thoughts were David Clarkson & Ville Leino.

But yeah....Jason Blake is probably the best answer I’ve seen so far. Totally forgot about that guy.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Another good name I don't think has been mentioned yet: Martin Havlat. Signed a 6 year $30m deal with Minnesota after a career high 77 points with Chicago in 2008-09 and a playoff run of 16GP, 5G/10A/15PTS.

Was an injured wreck by the 3rd year of the deal at age 30.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Another good name I don't think has been mentioned yet: Martin Havlat. Signed a 6 year $30m deal with Minnesota after a career high 77 points with Chicago in 2008-09 and a playoff run of 16GP, 5G/10A/15PTS.

Was an injured wreck by the 3rd year of the deal at age 30.

He had 2/3 seasons with Chicago at or near point per game. He had a significant injury history already at that point, but was a known quantity offensively. He declined sharply during that contract and became an anchor, but it doesn't fit this thread.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ville Leino actually benefited twice. People were absolutely convinced that because Detroit signed him he was another diamond in the rough that just wasn't given a fair shot. Then after getting carried by Briere and Hartnell people were convinced there was even more potential there. The crazy thing about his contract with Buffalo is that there was a rumor at the time he actually took less to go to Buffalo than what he was offered by another team (believed to be Florida).

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Definitely got extra total money and years if not cap hit for last year.

The same recency reward applied to every player that's signed any contract, I'd imagine. He's making 5.75 per for a career .71ppg despite some time missed to injury.

A career top 6 producer hardly fits the spirit of this thread. Factor in the cap hit (which explains the term) and Oshie isn't applicable.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think Alexandre Daigle qualifies. He was supposed to be the next Gretzky, but quickly tapered off into Central European leagues after cashing in on a 12.25 M entry-level(!) contract while scoring almost exactly 0.5 ppg for a career total of 327 points :D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just out of curiosity, what are his numbers like as a centre on his own line (Regular season, no McDavid)

He didn't get an 8 year deal worth 9 million just because of McDavid. Obviously McDavid will help anyones numbers, but it is not like McDavid is blowing the league away offensively here. McDavid has 35 points in 31 games, it's not like he has 60 pts and Draisaitl is getting in on the overage, like those who played with Gretzky.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
i got a feeling if grabner gets close to thirty again he's going to reap the rewards which he should but someones about to overpay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad