Music: Who are your Top Eleven Artists of all-time?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The Fall
R.E.M.
John Coltrane
The Olivia Tremor Control
The Dentists
Gordon Lightfoot
Stereolab
Joni Mitchell
Unwound
Teenage Fanclub
Neko Case

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I'm going to steal/borrow Pranzo's idea with some of these

Ronnie James Dio and related bands
Ritchie Blackmore and related bands
Jeff Lynne and related bands
The Moody Blues
Warren Zevon
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Rush
Ace Frehley and related bands
Bruce Springsteen and related bands
The Beatles as a band and post Beatles work
Elvis
Boxcar Willie
.38 Special
Sir Tom Jones

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
All right, here goes. Supposing mathematics is more discovered than created, I will refrain from choosing mathematicians. When it comes to art, I know and enjoy music more than other mediums, so I'll stick within that domain.

J.S. Bach
Brian Eno
Incantation
Summoning
Decapitated
Autopsy
Amorphis
Mournful Congregation
Thergothon
Sepultura
Convulse

Lots of metal. This might not be balanced enough.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
my personal top 11 artists in terms of enjoyment and re-playability.

Nas
Weezer
Nirvana
Tupac
One Ok Rock
Guns N' Roses
Kano
Rancid
Rage against the Machine
Jason Aldean
DMX

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
All right, here goes. Supposing mathematics is more discovered than created, I will refrain from choosing mathematicians. When it comes to art, I know and enjoy music more than other mediums, so I'll stick within that domain.

J.S. Bach
Brian Eno
Incantation
Summoning
Decapitated
Autopsy
Amorphis
Mournful Congregation
Thergothon
Sepultura
Convulse

Lots of metal. This might not be balanced enough.
i'm going to ask you something(s).

thanks for the list. if there's a real slow boring workday i'll check some of these out.

now a harsh question: why would you give a shit if your list is not balanced enough? it's your list. screw what others think. so are you going to drop off one of your faves simply because of this?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
These days I listen to almost all classical music, maybe 95% classical, 4% jazz, 1% other. Since it doesn't make sense to me to compare across genres, here goes. List are not in order and are really only what came readily to mind:

Classical (composers)
---------
Beethoven
Brahms
Schubert
Mozart
JS Bach
Mendelssohn
Dvorak
Mahler
Teleman
Vivaldi
Haydn
Rossini
Corelli

Classical (musicians)
---------------------
Andres Segovia
John Williams (guitarist)
John Williams (composer/conductor)
Yo-Yo Ma
Itzhak Perlman
Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg
Emanuel Ax
Luciano Pavarotti
Yannick Nézet-Séguin (conductor)
Albrecht Mayer
Leonard Bernstein
Pepe Romero
Dreamer’s Circus (kind of span genres classical and folk)

Jazz
----
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Wes Montgomery
Django Reinhardt
Joe Pass
Oscar Peterson
Charlie Parker
Dave Brubeck
Charles Mingus
Ella Fitzgerald
Thelonius Monk

Rock/Pop/Folk/etc...
-------------------
Grateful Dead
Talking Heads
Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
The Clash
The Band
Kruger Brothers
Tony Rice
U2
Joni Mitchell
REM
Beatles
Doc Watson

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
i'm going to ask you something(s).

thanks for the list. if there's a real slow boring workday i'll check some of these out.

now a harsh question: why would you give a shit if your list is not balanced enough? it's your list. screw what others think. so are you going to drop off one of your faves simply because of this?
Yeah, good question. When I was thinking of recent favorites, like since the summer began, this is what popped into my head. I've had a rough last several months, so maybe that's why metal is all over this list. But going back maybe the last few years, I think my taste and CD collection was more diverse. I still like lots of genres. No punk, rock, electronic, or industrial on this list made me feel a bit guilty. I still rotate those genres in a fair bit and even play or do music in various styles. You're probably right, though. If those feel like the best right now, then maybe that should just be that.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Pink Floyd
Pixies
Bob Dylan
Nirvana
Säkert/Hello Saferide (a Swedish artist)
Led Zeppelin
Tool
The Beatles
The Clash
The National
Weezer

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is kind of how I feel when people do the one per artist thing, as well. Lots of posters do it, and I guess the idea is supposed to be that it could be a more useful set of recommendations for the person consuming it when the list is more balanced (greater number of rabbit-holes to go down, I guess?), but for me personally, it kind of just compromises the list to know that someone added any extra considerations to micromanage it beyond just what they truly feel is their favorites, and I end up having a harder time buying in.

I guess it depends on mentality, too-- When I post a list, it's always purely for the self-interested satisfaction of expressing my subjective thoughts (it wouldn't even matter if it's expressed to completely the wrong audience with no chance of clicking with it), but if someone else does it as a guide for the benefit of others, or wants to frame it in a more objective way for some reason (which I never really understand), I can see how they might feel inclined to try to make it balanced.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The Beatles
The xx
The Smiths
Amy Winehouse
Bowie
Arcade Fire
The Strokes
Hendrix
Chris Cornell (don't have an affinity for one particular project/band, just a goated vocalist)
System of a Down
Lin Manuel Miranda

hm- Nas and Kate Bush, I just really love Illmatic; then don't know her discog well enough to knock anyone else off, but love em both

probably not the proper list but somewhat off the top of my head; sorted it by country lol

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Beastie boys
STP
SRV
50 cent
Elvis Costello
Jack White , white stripes
Weezer
AC,/DC but only with Bonn
Spoon